I want to be done with diabetes

I've been a diabetic for 4 years this august, and i still can't get over the fact that this will go on for the rest of my life. Usually i just break down and cry every day, because i can't do anything to fix it. I'm sick of it!!! I just want to quit. Take a time out from life. I'm still not sure how to cope with this. :(

I found out that I was Type 1 and my family doctor was also Type 1, he told me at that time I had maybe 20 years to live if I really took care of myself and there were almost 1M Type 1's in the world. Then he told me I had to spend 2 full weeks in the hospital for training, it took 3 days to get a blood sugar and another day to adjust the insulin. I had 2 choices of insulin, beef or pork, that was it. The needles were very large in diameter and I had to practice giving oranges and grapefruit shots until I pushed the plunger full of water into the fruit it squirted out other holes, the needles were 26g and that was the small ones. That was 43 years ago, now I do not want to make you think that being diabetic is easy, or that you will not have times that you find it is a real hassle, but things are better than they were for us. You can look up how many there are with Google, we didn't have this kind of forum either, I knew one other guy in school who had it, and it killed him about 3 months after he was diagnosed. You can find lots of support and ideas on this site and I am always available to give you the worse case issues, because I have been there. Keep your head up and know diabetes does not have you, you have it.

Hi Jeff, I feel the same exact way about taking care of my son. I started a blog about it. Try www.everydayhighsandlows.com and maybe knowing I am living through some of your same feelings will help. I will be thinking about ya!

This is easier said than done, but try not to think about living with D every day for the rest of your life.  It's like if you thought about spending every day in a classroom until you graduated from high school... overwhelming.  But when you're living it the time flies by.  

All you have to do for your diabetes is manage it well enough that you have energy and health to do what you really want to in life.  Maybe it's going to college, traveling, having a family, getting a dream job, whatever.  Focus on that kind of stuff and diabetes will just be a part of you as you live your life.