I think the pump is improving her honeymoon!

Sarah's been on her pump for nearly two weeks now. After the first 2-3 days I decreased her overnight basal from .3 per hour to .25 per hour.

Last night, after three days of consistent 70's before each meal, I decreased her basal again, so now she's getting just about 5 units in a 24 hour period. Before the pump she was on 7, and was usually running around 130-150 before meals, and often in the 200's following meals.

It makes me wonder if the more precise doses which have resulted in overall steadier and lower numbers has given her little pancreas the rest it needed to begin working a little harder. This makes me happy. I figure the longer her pancreas continues to do at least some of the work, the better chance doctors will be able to prod it into taking on it's full time job again someday!

it help improve my honeymoon well ues to.

:) That's great news!  But even with completely dead pancreases, I'd like to think we can still have hope for a cure.  I'm glad it's working so well for her.

Katie - a diabetic's pancreas is not completely dead.  The beta cells in the islets of Langerhans (and the alpha cells, to a lesser degree) are the only part that don't work for us.  The pancreas does many more important things for the body, like creating other digestive enzymes.  http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/information/type-2/diabetes-causes/pancreas.html?gclid=CMa_l8f7lKQCFQ0-bAodBmsjHQ

[quote user="Katie"]

But even with completely dead pancreases, I'd like to think we can still have hope for a cure. 

[/quote]

Absolutely Kim. I didn't mean to insinuate that there would be no cure for her otherwise. I just figure the more her body is doing for itself, the better. And now that she's on the pump, her numbers are (most of the time) a whole lot more stable than they were before.