So frustrated!

The honeymoon is over! I thought I'd be glad for a bit more predicablitiy, but man, am I having trouble being my daughter's pancreas this week.  She has been running high for almost a week and everyday I keep uping her doses to try to get to a new normal, but it seems like even with every increase I just can't get ahead of this.  She still runs around 20 mmol despite more insulin. What the hell!  I give an extra unit and next check is the same, like it just doesn't touch her.  I have a headache and if this coming week doesn't turn around and show some progress I think it may just explode!  Grrrr!

I can relate.  However, after having the same experience with my son for a week and deciding that the honeymoon was over, I was surprised to find that after finally getting a grip on his numbers for a few days, he began to have many lows.  His pancreas sputtered back into action, although not completely the way it had been before that difficult week.  I guess these ups and downs are all part of the fun of the honeymoon period.

It might be the end of the honeymoon, but know that this change can also be her body fighting off a cold or infection or her body preparing for a growth spurt.  Both cause insulin resistance.  If either of these is the cause her insulin needs will drop again in a week or so.

Just keep adjusting her insulin and test often.  You'll get it figured out.  Someone posted here once that dosing insulin is an art, not a science.  So true!  You'll get better at it with experience, but your daughter's needs will always be changing.  Have peace that it's just the way it is; you're not failing.  

Those persistent highs can be so frustrating!  Just keep logging your data so you can spot trends.  Is there a particular time of day she seems insulin resistant, or is it consistent?  Right now William is needing far more insulin per carb in the morning (5) than in the afternoon/evening (10), and is dropping through the night.  Last week he was persistently high at night, using all the same ratios/basal/correction).

I generally only adjust one element of dosing at a time (basal, ratio and correction), and wait three days to see what effect it is having, before making another adjustment.  That way I can see more clearly which element needs attention, and which ones are working, sine each one effects his BG differently.

The other factor I often forget to check is the efficacy of the insulin itself.  Is it expired or beyond the 30-day use mark?  If nothing else is making sense, sometimes I will open a new vial to be sure I'm not working with ineffective insulin.

Hang in there, you're doing fine.  

Blessings,

Mo

Hi Jen

my 2c. Our son was diagnosed about a year and a half ago and wow it was

devastating. It still is, but in many ways it has just become part of the

pattern of our lives, and we are in a much better place than I would have

imagined could be possible. I'll also say that after a month or two of

struggling after changing over to the pump, having it has been a major

change for the better both for us in terms of being able to react to changes

in his responsiveness to insulin, and for him in his ability to essentially

eat what he wants (except in the evening!).

take care, it will get better.

Bruce

It is much harder to bring down a high than raise a low. We try a couple things that seem to help. One is to send the kid for a run around the block. The exercise will help. Hot showers or baths with help knock down a high too.

we have found this as well. Sometimes the highs cause insulin resistance, particularly if there are ketones,  and we need to give up to 20% more insulin to bring our son down. I hadn't heard of baths and showers, that's interesting.

Thanks everyone.  We are slowly seeing some progress.  Numbers are much better and nearing normal range now, except at supper.... still working out the kinks there.  I have a hard time being patient to wait for results one day to the next.  I find I worry about her going low from the time I give her insulin until the next check,and then to find she is actually running high... its maddening.  Just keep telling myself, tomorrow will be better. I have the knowledge of today to help me make tomorrow better. I look forward to the day we can switch to a pump, (although that will be a whole new learning curve).  Thanks again for all your words of wisdom. It helps.

Hi Jen. when this happened to my son, Sean, when he was age 12 his blood sugar seemed to took longer to respond to insulin. Later, age 13, we focused on different better site locations and it helped.