Hypo unawareness question/ blood sugar checks per day

Ive had hypo unawareness for a little while now and I have been running into problems with my insurance company which is blue cross about the amount of test strips I need per month..they cover 200 for the month and I test about 10x a day so I need about 300-350 per month..any one else run into problems with insurance over test strips? How often does every1 else test their blood on average per day? I test about 10x a day..I know it varies depending on work,exercise,stress but in general just wondering how often people test their blood.

6-10... more when Im sick.

with Ri puberty and the constant need to adjust her insulin needs 10-12 times in a 24 hour period. We had the same insurance before and that is all they would pay for as well. I bought the rest out of pocket :x which is way to expensive.

Check and see if anything over 200 will come under durable medical supplies.  I have BC/BS and with my old plan they covered the first 150 strips/month under my prescription plan and anything else came under durable medical supplies so I paid 20% after I met my deductable.  My current plan does not cover any under the prescription plan but I can get an unlimited amount under durable medical supplies.  I check about 10 times a day.     

I test 10X / day.  BCBS would cover 300 per month as long as my endo would fax a letter of medical necessity every six months. 

Jason

will your blue cross cover a CGM? if you have hypo unawareness it's suppose to be extra helpful.

Sarah usually tests 6-8 times per day. She doesn't feel lows either, we always end up catching them in the pre-meal tests. Fortunately she never seems to go low at night, only during the day - weird, but I'll take it. I mentioned a CGM to her Endo and they basically dismissed the idea. I'm seriously considering applying for a service dog as soon as she's eligible (age 12). She's been down into the high 40's/low 50's with no symptoms and felt perfectly fine.

ya i jsut got this cgm but im involved in this jdrf study so I cant start it til the middle of december which im really excited about..its really suppose to work, but I have also read some great articles about these diabetic watch dogs that area alerted to low blood sugar chemical reactions in your body to warn you..seems like a pretty sweet alternative!!

[quote user="Dan Brown"]

but I have also read some great articles about these diabetic watch dogs that area alerted to low blood sugar chemical reactions in your body to warn you..seems like a pretty sweet alternative!!

[/quote]

Yes, and Sarah likes the idea too - except she is afraid she'll end up spending her time at school being a pooper scooper.... She doesn't like that idea so much.

Other people mentioned this, but have you had your dr write a letter of necessity to BC/BS to up your strips? When I was pregnant, I had to have him write one b/c I was testing approx 15x/day and it was no problem... I just had to wait a couple of weeks for the response.

Once you get the cgm, I bet you'll find you need to test less. With my dexcom, I test about 6 times a day with a "good sensor" (i.e., getting accurate readings) and about 10-12 when the sensor is new or off. But, it all evens out to maybe an average of 7 or 8 times a day.