Hypoglycemia unawareness - go away!

I've been back on the CGM for about 6 weeks now, so I've been catching all my lows around 70. But, today, I had a screwy situation with a new sensor -- the CGM said 74. When I tested for lunch, my meter said 37!! Apparently, I'm still not catching my lows. :p I'm thinking of changing my alert setting to 80. Any other suggestions? I had hoped my awareness would get better w/o really bad lows! Do I need to set the alert even higher for a few weeks?

Luckily, I have an endo appt in a few weeks, so I'll ask her too...

Sarah.....I guess I am out of the loop here......or my endo just hasn't said anything about CGMS....I have worn one but for only about 72 hours.....what are you talking about?  Is this a new monitor that you wear constantly for an extended period of time???  I feel really dumb not knowing what you are talking about:(

Sarah

It cant hurt to just set it to 80.  A difference that big shouldn't be to common.  I realized though the biggest difference is when you are high or low.  You could set it higher to just be a time to test, like when the alarm goes off you could see what you are and even calibrate. 

[quote user="Angela"]

Sarah.....I guess I am out of the loop here......or my endo just hasn't said anything about CGMS....I have worn one but for only about 72 hours.....what are you talking about?  Is this a new monitor that you wear constantly for an extended period of time???  I feel really dumb not knowing what you are talking about:(

[/quote]

Hey Angela. The CGM is a continuous glucose monitor. You can now wear them all the time and change the sensor about once a week. I also tried the old minimed one about 8-10 years ago. I wore it for 2-3 days and then endo downloaded the info. The difference now is that you can see the info in real time and don't have to wait to see the endo.

Ok....I get it!  Did you have to buy your CGM?  Did insurance pay for yours?  So, could you please explain the benefits of wearing one....do you make your own adjustments to your insulin carb ratio? 

I bought my own in '07 for $800, but stopped using it b/c I couldn't afford the monthly supplies. But, now my insurance pays, so I got the new, updated dexcom and pay 10% for monthly supplies.

I've always made my own adjustments to my doses, but it helps me know my BG's in between meter tests b/c the dexcom gives updates every 5 minutes. It also gives arrows showing if you're going up, dropping, and how fast...