How soon should your employer know you have T1?

I just got a new job and it's going to be my first job having Diabetes. I don't know how soon and how comfortable I feel telling them. How do you guys feel about this subject? What would you do in my position?

Personally, I let them know either A. the day the tell me I am hired, or B. the first day I am on the job.  I really like everyone in management or people im going to be working with to know that im type one, also I ask them how much they know and I try to give them a little education on what to do and what to look for with weird behavior and what not, that way incase that day comes and something happens the people I am around know whats going on and hopefuly know what to do.  Also I do it because my first job I ever had as a diabetic, I went low and had to go to the break room and eat something, well no one knew I was diabetic and my boss came in and chewed me out, and I then told him I was diabetic and he was really cool about it.  So now I just avoid that problem all together and let them know as soon as I can.

Thanks for that great advice. I want to avoid any complications at the job and if telling them helps, I will.

Andrew gave you great advice ..You need the people you will be working with to know ...Just in case you need help ...There are still people out there that do not know anything about diabetics and think you are drunk or drugged ..if they see you going low ..or think you are just lazy or have been out parting all night and have not slept if they see you tired and listless from being high ....Best they know the truth and are educated on how to help if need be ....

Glad you asked this question because I'm going through the same thing right now.  Just got hired to work in an emergency room, and while I list on my resume my experience doing diabetes education and brag about my knowledge of diabetes in the interview, I do everything possible to avoid them knowing I have diabetes before they hire me.  I'd hate for it to impact their decision.  I try to make it seem like I randomly know a lot about diabetes haha...which is retarded, but I haven't been called out on it yet.

I'm going into the hospital for my health exam tomorrow for the job, and them hiring me is dependent on me passing these exams.  I haven't told them I have diabetes yet so hopefully it doesn't raise any red flags.

But yeah, I agree with Andrew, as soon as I actually get on the E.R. floor in an environment where I know my job is secure I'll tell everyone: physicians, nurses, whoever, just so I can be on the safe side in case anything ever goes wrong.  Once you have the job they can't make any judgments on letting you go based directly on diabetes so there's no reason you should be worried about telling them about it.

Ok, this really hit home with me.  Please make sure you tell the people you work with you are diabetic as soon as possible!  I had a friend that I worked with who had Type 1.  He only told a few people and I only knew because he told me the day my daughter was diagnosed.  Anyway, I was on vacation and I got a call saying that he had been at work and had been acting wierd and said he needed some sugar so they let him walk off thinking he was sick or something.  They found him a couple hours later.  It was too late.  If they had known he was diabetic and what to do then he would still be with us today.  PLEASE make sure the people around you are aware!

[quote user="Ideen"]

Glad you asked this question because I'm going through the same thing right now.  Just got hired to work in an emergency room, and while I list on my resume my experience doing diabetes education and brag about my knowledge of diabetes in the interview, I do everything possible to avoid them knowing I have diabetes before they hire me.  I'd hate for it to impact their decision.  I try to make it seem like I randomly know a lot about diabetes haha...which is retarded, but I haven't been called out on it yet.

Once you have the job they can't make any judgments on letting you go based directly on diabetes so there's no reason you should be worried about telling them about it.

[/quote]

this is exactly how I felt at my first job when I got hired.  But I still do the same thing, I avoid it untill I actually have a job, I know its illegal for them not to hire you because of it, but people are still people and its  going to enter their mind, especially if they are uneducated their first thought is oh man this guys gonna pass out sometime and blah blah.  So Im right ther ewith ya on the waiting untill Im hired haha.

Im really sorry to hear that Kathie, Ive never heard of anything like this happening.

[quote user="Anamarys"]

I just got a new job and it's going to be my first job having Diabetes. I don't know how soon and how comfortable I feel telling them. How do you guys feel about this subject? What would you do in my position?

[/quote]

Honestly in my opinion u should let them know right away....

Thanks everyone. I will tell them right away. I see how important it is and  I wouldn't like anything bad to happen.Thanks again for the great advice.

I was DX in 2008 .. I got laid off soon after that .. and it took about 6 - 7 months till i got my current job....

I stated in the interview that I was type one ... I really don't hide my pump I just clip it to my pants so you can see the tub'n and I have my type one tat on my arm ..  I'd rather let people know that surprise someone with it ..

being up front is the best approach i've come across

Congrats on the new job and best wishes

-rich

Thank you so much Rich. I so needed this job and was a little scared of telling them and not be qualified because of the diabetes. I will tell them because it is very important.