How to take it seriously

i am 21 and have been a T1 for almost 5 years... people around me all know i am a diabetic i am pretty open about it ... i think it goes with my personality in general... i was just wondering how other people let knew people in their lives that they have this disease... and then understanding the seriousness about it ... that its more then just a physical disease.. that is where i find my issue is people around me treat it like its almost a bad cold and not a life long condiiton for me... just wondering how people communicate it to people 

:)

For the most part I don't.  Me being diabetic is divulged on a need to know basis only.  If I have new friends I'm going to be with or a new girlfriend (I've been married 14 years so it's been a while) or new boss, I'll tell them and what to do.  Anyone else, class mates, co workers, neighbors. acquaintances I don't tell.  They don't need to know so I don't tell them.

I know most people on here like to be open and honest and all that.  But they also complain that others don't understand.  The truth of the matter is that D1 only affects 2% of the population or something like that (didn't look it up).  So most people won't have any knowledge or experience on it and are going on outdated/incorrect/incomplete information.  So if you're going to be open/honest etc., you should expect most people to not understand. These misconceptions could affect people's opinion of you and could cause you to miss out on opportunities for job promotions etc.  This is why I choose to only tell people who absolutely HAVE to know.

I pretty much let everyone know. I don't really tell people just because, but if they ask about my pump, or it comes up in conversation, i don't keep it secret. I've found that people normally understand the severity if they spend a lot of time with me. as for other people I don't really care if they realize unless they make a comment about how it isn't a big deal. . . and then they get an earful, lol. I mean, I'm nice about it, but i try to stress, that it affects every part of my life.

I don't think I've ever told anyone without first being asked. Usually someone sees me checking my sugar, or injecting, or sees my pump and asks. Then I tell them the basics. As far as conveying the seriousness of having Type 1 Diabetes, I don't usually tell people. I've always believed showing is more persuasive and powerful than telling. The closer I get to people, the more they're around when diabetes is overtly impacting my life and so they gain a much better understanding of just how serious it is. The Drummer makes a good point, though. There are times when people, such as employers or possible employers, need to be told, to the point and up front. I was a Resident Assistant for a year and a half and I made sure to tell the Resident Director, my boss, that I might from time to time need certain accommodations. This way he didn't judge my performance unfairly.

I think in general it makes sense to divide people in to two different categories: those above you (teachers, administrators, employers, etc) and your equals (friends, family, acquaintances, etc). And you should have a different approach with each group as to how you tell them about your condition. It may sound a little calculating and diabolical but, honestly, expecting literally everyone to understand what you're dealing with is unrealistic and will exhaust you in every sense of the word. So when a person says something ignorant or malicious about your being diabetic, ask yourself, 'Who is this person to me?' If he or she is in the first category, you must stay calm and set the person the straight. If he or she is in the second category, try not to let it get to you as much. After all, there won't be the same repercussions as there might be in, say, the workforce, where you can face things like job discrimination. Just take a deep breath, and stick the person with a needle and tell them you just gave them diabetes lol

no i understand and i definitely don't expect people to understand the serious ness.. by any means because i still have moments when i don't think i fully accept them... i just get tired of people thinking they know ha i do need to learn to put people into categories and decide who needs to know and who doesn't my favorite group of people who i dont believe know are my gymnastics parents ( i coach young age gymnastics) and all they see from the parent area is their kids messing around with my tube or if my shirt comes up and my site on my stomach ... no one asks and i don't care to go talk to them so it just  gives me alittle humor each day because i can only imagine what they think it is ha

I make NO effort to obscure the differences in my health from others. People see my insertion site when I'm walking around bare-chested, or when it is in my tricep. Most of the time, they're more uncomfortable asking than I am explaining. Of course, I am a very open person about most things.  

As far as friends, I generally let them know up front about "my condition". It helps when we do things like rock climbing or mountain biking. I warn people up front that doing something more strenuous than just normal life stuff could cause my bs to go low, and then let them know i should be ok, but I will need to stop for awhile.

With employers, it's just plain stupid to not let people know if there could be a problem. I work in Facilities Maintenance. I am in situations everyday that could be made extremely dangerous in the midst of a low. Supervisors and coworkers need to know that if I am facing a "medical emergency" it is imperitive that I rectify the situation. I tell them that a low blood sugar is generally  no problem to rectify, but if left untreated, could kill me. That usually gets their attention long enough to explain the situation. Fortunately, my experience communicating the situation with people has always been beneficial with at least one person being educated about T1.

I still run into gross ignorance, but those people don't cease to exist just because they make my life more difficult.

Most of my friends know because they've seen me change my site, test my blood sugar, etc. Most times they pretty much understand that it's not going away. Plus over time they see it doesn't go away. But one friend in my best friend "group" (we aren't exclusive but it contains about the same 10 girls most times), her mother has a form of diabetes and so does she (she has hypoglicemia, not sure if her mom has official type 2) so, with all that, they kinda understand. New friends (like in classes) I'll tell how to do a glucagon in case I go low and explain why and stuff. Most people are cool with it and have someone they know who has medical issues so they know how to do a shot or something like it (epipen, etc).

When I meet a new person I think could be my friend I just whip out my meter or pump like always- act like it's no big deal because I learned as a child if I try to hide it it almost scares people. I know it's their loss haha but I don't want to lie or hide around the people I live/ interact with. They always stare when I check my blood- everyone stares haha. Sometimes it "turns people off" but usually they just except it. I think that if I act like it's a problem and I'm embarrassed other people will think the same.   I figure if I just  act and be myself the right people will  come my way and the wrong can go on with my life. I have diabetes- it doesn't have me. I try to live like it's just a part if me- some people are allergic to peanuts, some people are tall and I'm diabetic. I know it's not that simple - I know diabetes is one of the hardest diseases to live with but I really try to just live. If people ask questions, I answer them but I don't just go around talking about haha - that's what you guys are for!

I agree Kelsey!

I agree with you Kelsey. I do the same thing not tell anyone and when they do find out all they say to me is if you need something or have to tell us something just tell us. its noce when they care and dont run away after they find out

Most people either see my medic alert and ask or they will see me drinking diet soda and will ask why. Most of my friends have known all along since i was 21 when diagnosed. I have always let my employers know as I feel it is important they know and are understanding of the situation, yes it has bit me in the a$$ once or twice..... I am an LPN so if anything ever would happen to me while I am at work I am in good hands :) I do not feel that I need to hide from the fact that I have diabetes nor do i go on and on about it either. If someone asks questions I am more than happy to answer them as most people do not know much about T1and are curious to know the differences between T1 and T2

I agree with Kelsey, just whenever you're eating or something with that person, just do what you normally do, if they ask what you are doing, tell them! Don't hide your diabetes!

Check out my blog at bleedforcookies.blogspot.com