How often do you eat unhealthy?

I am just curious to know if type 1's eat mostly healthy or unhealthy? I know some people have told me because they wear an insulin pump they eat whatever. I am on an OmniPod, and basically I still try to eat pretty healthy. I eat a lot of veggies and fruits. When I go out for fast food I NEVER supersize. I normally get like a 99 cent cheeseburger. Although I know it isn't that healthy, it's still smaller than a huge Big Mac and fries. LOL I never eat candy, unless it's to treat a low. I don't eat hardly any junk. Maybe like a couple chips every 2 weeks. And I try to do a little bit of cardio everyday. I feel kind of guilty eating something like pasta or bread, although I do love it! Even though I am on my insulin pump now I seem to have it firmly planted in my mind that lots of carbs are bad. LOL So, just wondering how other type 1's diets are??

You don't have to NEVER eat those foods. You can eat them in moderating. Being diabetic doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself from candy, junk food, sweets.

Just a thought..

The only time I'll eat junk food and stuff is on swimming trips and school parties other than that i mostly have not all vegies but some and what ever my mom makes.

"Life's a parties so get up and dance."

[quote user="Sue"]

You don't have to NEVER eat those foods. You can eat them in moderating. Being diabetic doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself from candy, junk food, sweets.

Just a thought..

[/quote]

agreed. my motto is: moderation, not elimination! that goes for diabetics AND non-diabetics!

I eat halloween candy, I eat the candy we have in my office, I eat cake and pie when it's someone's birthday, I eat my own birthday cake, I have surplees in the summer, I have big macs when i crave junk food, i eat dessert, i eat potatoes (i love potatoes!)...but i also eat veggies, meat, fish, etc etc.

I'm not on a pump. I have been doing MDI for 17years now (except the 3months I was on a pump before getting rid of it).

I eat what i want, i do it moderation like EVERYONE in the world should do.

hell, the doctors told my mom when i was dx at 6 to LET me eat oero cookies and not to make me different from the other kids, and because of that, I never felt different and I never rebelled against my diabetes. I knew i had to sometimes skip a treat due to bloodsugar levels, i knew if i wanted something sweet i needed a shot for it..but I still got to eat what the other kids and my brother and mom ate!

I eat pretty well

If I am with friends and we are eating, ick, a candy cane, then I might eat with them and then quickly get a unit of insulin or something.  Like i dont eat candy everyday and eat chips a lot i have like real food and salad.  You are like starving yourself here!

I eat maybe sugar or sumthing if i am with a friend and they are, but ill treat for it.  I dont graze or anything, i eat like everyone else, and i have salad, haha :)

I'd say I try to eat a fairly healthy diet for someone with OR without d. The only difference is that I try to avoid huge amounts of carbs that could lead to post-meal spikes, except for a special occasion like Thanksgiving. Because of the increased risk of heart disease that comes w/ d, I do try to eat lots of veggies, lean meats, fiber, etc. But, I definitely eat something unhealthy around once a day, or I'd go crazy. I feel like I can still be healthy with a chocolate chip cookie here or some ice cream there.

I haven't been to a fast food restaurant (other than Subway or a drive through to get a diet coke) since around 2000 when I swore I'd never go to McDonald's et al again. When my son walks by the McDo near our house, he says "You can't go to that restaurant, it's not good" lol. He'll be so excited when some babysitter takes him there, ha, ha.

being young and very active in sports, I eat whatever I want, but I try to stay away from the carbonated drinks. I hate veggies, so I never eat them, but I love fruit, so I eat that a lot. 

I try to eat healthy, but I'm not fanatical about it.  Like Batts, I was never on a strict diabetic diet, so I basically eat what I want, but I"m fairly healthy about it.  My parents raised me to eat healthy even before I was diagnosed.  I never eat fast food, and I just don't like things with a lot of cheese in them, or things that are too rich.  I do, however, like pasta, so I eat it, and take insulin to cover it.  I also eat cake or dessert on special occasions.  As several people say, moderation is key. 

I'm a dietitian, but I have to say I eat whatever I'm  hungry for. My overall diet balances out, so I'm aware I'm getting everything I need. I don't pay attention to how many fruits and veggies and things I eat every day because it's damn near impossible to eat a "balanced" diet every day, anyway. Your body tells you what it needs and what it's hungry for. If you listen to it, you will notice you're actually getting all or most of the nutrients for your body. I wrote a couple blogs about this back in October (Love Your Body. Love Yourself. Part 1 & 2 @ http://cslifewithd.blogspot.com).

There really is no "healthy" or "unhealthy" food. All foods, even those considered "junk" foods, offer something your body needs - whether it's in the form of nutrients like vitamins and minerals or energy for your body's functions through calories.

I enjoy food. I'm squishy. I exercise 4-5x per week. I'm totally happy with myself and my diet. :D 

what really defines heathy food or is it how we moderate the sizes of said or any foods point of example atkins isn't good if your downing a thousand hotdogs a day ike the fat kid in bad news bears (with billy bob).

i own a restaurant and consider meself a straight up foodie type. and when you break down misinterperated sterotypes and companies bias advertising and you ask yoursef what is realy a healty food or unhealthy one?? trace it through it's steps of production all the way back to it's raw state and then look at the ingredients through the process,  and imho if you can trace everything back through it's steps and we as simple people recognize that we have been doing it this way for  thousands of years i.e. pastas, burgers, or whatever is deemed 'not healthy food'

imo the foods that aren't heathy are of course your chemically engenered foods or chemically preserved foods i.e things like twinkes what do they have like a 50 years shelf life, or your HFCS foods

of course our complications of heallthy or unhealthy food come with our disease and that limits us only to the fact of riding a steady wave of nice blood sugar numbers, and those negatives are easily correctable with diligent testing.

let's break down a nice greasy burger bun= flour, yeast, seed, sugar?,salt, pepper,. patty= ground beef(quality of which comes from buyer), egg, salt, pepper, spice, bread crumbs, onions, maybe mushrooms, peppers,. toppings= cheese(old milk)?, lettuce, tomato, pickle(cuumber and vineger.

imo theres isn't one thing in that wholle break down that is "unheathy" it is all natural and can be produced by any persons two hands with time and patience. it isn't formulated in a lab it is some mechanically made fake food heck soy products are probaby some of the most questionable things we may eat imho lol??(i realize the health benefits of soy but has anyione seen how they make this stuff and flavor it??

i say eat what you want enjoy your life because what else is it here for but again knowledge is always key cause it holds the most power and keeps you outta murky situations, like some of the current weight epidemics we have as a whole have become sooo seperated from our knowing about our food that we know not what is approriate food and what is not.

eat. drink. be happy.

[quote user="Brianna"]

Like Batts, I was never on a strict diabetic diet, so I basically eat what I want, but I"m fairly healthy about it.

[/quote]

I was on one (i.e., constantly cheating on one) for years before they came up with carb counting. But, I have to say it's not actually very healthy at all. You're forced to eat at a certain time even if you're not hungry b/c it's time for "3 servings of carbs" and even though there's not "sugar" there's lots of simple carbs. Veggies were usually only one serving per meal, even though now I usually eat 2-3 with dinner.  Also, like many people have said, eating in such a strict/restricted manner leads to "cheating" and unhealthy binges. I had a lot of food issues as a teenager (never an eating disorder, but hiding my eating, overeating, etc) and I really blame those years of that stupid diet. I don't think I ever learned to read my body's signals of fullness and hunger as a child because it was so rigid, which lead to overeating, shame with eating, etc. as a teenager.

[quote user="Sarah"]

[quote user="Brianna"]

Like Batts, I was never on a strict diabetic diet, so I basically eat what I want, but I"m fairly healthy about it.

[/quote]

I was on one (i.e., constantly cheating on one) for years before they came up with carb counting. But, I have to say it's not actually very healthy at all. You're forced to eat at a certain time even if you're not hungry b/c it's time for "3 servings of carbs" and even though there's not "sugar" there's lots of simple carbs. Veggies were usually only one serving per meal, even though now I usually eat 2-3 with dinner.  Also, like many people have said, eating in such a strict/restricted manner leads to "cheating" and unhealthy binges. I had a lot of food issues as a teenager (never an eating disorder, but hiding my eating, overeating, etc) and I really blame those years of that stupid diet. I don't think I ever learned to read my body's signals of fullness and hunger as a child because it was so rigid, which lead to overeating, shame with eating, etc. as a teenager.

[/quote]

I think a lot of people had that problem with the diets they had before carb counting. the "every 3hour" rule was such a pain in the ass! i hate carb counting cuz i suck at math and i never followed the "every 3hours" rule once i was a teen, but still better than that diet!

I am on the pump, and have been for 6 years...... I eat alot in the day but mostly healthy foods! I don't eat fast food anymore and haven't had it in over 2 years. Carbs can be bad but aren't always bad! I am 12 and my mom tries to control what I eat and my doctor keeps telling her to let me be a kid!!! He tells her that I can eat all the junk and crap I want as long as I enter carbs for it! So I eat healthy but have junk food sometimes.

I think I would eat what I would if I didn't have diabetes (I'm on a pump)...I try to eat a healthy, balanced diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.  I'm not afraid of carbs at all, more the quality of carbohydrates.  For me, foods made with refined flour and lots of sugar (like sugary breads for some reason) are what make my blood sugar skyrocket.  But really, diabetes has no limit on my diet and I try to eat healthily because it is good for me and not because diabetes is forcing me to.  I am more conscious of what is healthy because of counting carbohydrates, but if there's something around that I can't resist, I will eat it even if it messes with my blood sugars.  Moderation is key, and just be careful of how you respond to certain foods so that you can minimize the consequences of eating problem foods. 

After kind of getting used to insulin therapy and then the pump. I think my diet is on the healthier side of normal for an American.  Meaning, I eat unhealthy foods but not all the time.  I'll occasionally have a bad week and do a fair amount of fast food for lunch, but that's not my everyday habit.

(Now, since becoming pregnant, I've had to totally swear off certain foods like delivery pizza!  I just can't figure out a combo bolus that will keep my blood sugar in a good range, and that's too important while pregnant.)

I am active in sports and am young so I eat basically what I want just no carbonated drinks!

[quote user="Sarah"]

[/quote]

I was on a strict diabetic diet through the 70s and 80s and have also struggled with binging and starving myself after years of trying to "cheat" my diabetes diet.  My doctor said that many of her longtime type 1 patients have eating disorders.  I'm glad that diabetes care has advanced so we can be more flexible and real world. 

Once a week, usually on a Friday or Saturday night - popcorn at the movies, or pizza and beer with friends.

i eat junk food all the time. but im 13 and eat helthy (no pork for phlsophilal resons) copred to most of my frends