How many people do you know personally who are type 1?

I counted in my head and I came up with: 16 (I went to camp and stuff but without camp it would still be around 7; the 16 are people I actually had more than one conversation with in person)

my nutritian lady when i was growing up who was part of my "diabetic team" at the hospital, a girl i grew up with who was diganosed when we were in grade 7, a guy i know from the bar/party with, and a lady i deal with through work.

I'm thinking, but really I don't think I know any.

Zero for me - think that's why I'm here partly - all type 1's I know are from here!

I have known 5 type 1's. One from my 20's who was out of control and is probably dead. One whowas my best friend for 20 years, even though he moved to San Francisco and was gay, and I live on the east coast and I'm straight  He died of heart disease at 52.

The others are a friend I met through a club, my endo and one of the few adult T1s at my local JDRF chapter.

That's a tiny number for 45 years with T1. We need to be more proactive in finding each other in our comunities.

Larry

hmm My aunt, a friend from highschool aaaaaand that's pretty much it! Oh and the Animas rep in my area, he's cool hehehe

Andree: thats awesome that you're getting a pump soon, when?!

For people I knew well?  Only 1 - my aunt.  And she died at age 42 from complications of the disease.  I've met people here n' there over the years, but none that I ever kept in touch with, or got to know well.

yeah i think i know like 3 and thats from high school....long time ago. Now i know nobody.

9 that I can think of. One is a type 2 and has since passed but I still count her. She was an amazing teacher and a positve force in my life for a small while.

Since going onto the pump - I've met so many Type 1 diabetics - most didn't get it as young as myself - more in their teens and mid 20's (juvenille diabetes is up to age 30 - which I found out from a friend who got Type 1 diabetes a 29 1/2).

I know about 10 so far - before pumping - only about 3.

I know more Type 2's then I can count on my toes and fingers - and trying to make sure they don't go onto insulin by leading a healthier lifestyle.

1... And I haven't even talked to him in a while.  I'm basically a loner in that category. :)

I am friends with two, both were friends of my boyfriend and I didn't even know they were type 1 until I got diagnosed in dec!! it was pretty crazy to all of a sudden know two other people, that I had known for a while, who have type 1. oh and my CDE is type 1.

It used to be just my aunt and I but then I started meeting people around town and from social networking sites and the JDRF meetup group so its definitely more than two handfuls now!

3. A girl my roommate worked with in college when I was diagnosed and she was awesome about helping me out with anything that I needed. Another girl in college that I had a random class with and The lady who set me up with my pump (Becky). Most of the others are type 2 and they don't quite get it... 

my uncle, educator, and nutritionist. There are three other type 1's in my high school but I havent gotten to talk to them yet.  I've also made a friend through facebook but have never met her in person.

Laura

2 guys on rugby, my sister, some other friends.

to tell u the truth it is more than i can even start to count some of my besties are diabetic my town is fairly odd there are way to many diabetics 10+ my friends and i joke around and say it is something with our water but ya

childhood friends: heather, kristen, haley,

2 co-workers: 1 past job 1 present job

2 college classmates: sarah, and some other girl

2 kids from highschool: nolan, and loraine

sara from church

celeste my d educator

Todd something...with red hair, he used to be a pastor of mine in NJ

um...that's all i can think of right now

[quote user="Molly"]

to tell u the truth it is more than i can even start to count some of my besties are diabetic my town is fairly odd there are way to many diabetics 10+ my friends and i joke around and say it is something with our water but ya

[/quote]

I swear there's something in the water here too, my neighbor across the street is type 1 and my previous next door neighbor (they moved) was type 1 as well