How many people do you know personally who are type 1?

As I stated earlier, I don't know any people.  But we did have a malamute (dog) that got it at age 13.  We kept him alive and in good shape for another 3 years until he got luekemia.  Wasn't always easy, but we did it.  He was worth it.

My father, my grandmother, my aunt, my cousin (all on my dad's side)

None, really.  In my old neighborhood there was a woman who was diagnosed as an adult while living in Egypt but she was much older than me.  I talked to her briefly a couple of times. 

I have met three (3) Type I Diabetics in 29 years.  One is an old friend of the family, he was diabetic before me.  I believe he has been diabetic for about 45 years and doing well.  He maintains good control, has told me stories of having to boil his insulin needles!  My second Type I friend was my former boss.  He was awesome and we had a great working relationship due to our diabetes.  I was pregnant at the time the movie "Steel Magnolias" came out, he told me that diabetes was not portrayed accurately, but advised me not to see the movie (good advice).  I have finally seen it, bits and pieces through the years.  It did not bother me, but might have at the time.  My third type one friend I met at my Endocrinologist office when she lived in my town, she moved away a couple years later.  It is always nice to meet others who can relate.

personally in person i know two. but i never really talk to them.

theres another guy i know that i've never really met but i know him through another fourm and he lives near me and i talk to him a lot.

And there was the little girl that I was diagnosed the same time as me and we went through the first few training classes together.

Otherwise... no one lol

I wish I had someone I could connect with on a personal level everyday ya know?

Molly,

There are a lot of Swedish immigrants in Illinois. both the Chicago area and western IL (Bishop Hill, Galva, Galesburg) where my family settled. Scandinavians are twice as likely to have type 1.

So do your friends last names end in "son"?

Type 1 ? Personnally ? Zero. No wonder why I'm here and read D-related sites/blogs everyday... :D

Lets see...there are 3 in my grade (not counting me)... 1 in the grade under me.... My Algebra teacher 2 years ago... my three best friends (one lives in my town and I take dance with her...one lives in a town about 20 mins away but I  hang with him almost every weekend...the other lives in Fort Smith)....5 that I've met throught JDRF..but never actually met them.... 3 from Diabetes Camp (that I actually still keep in touch with)... My preacher at church....haha...I know there's more..but thats all that I can think of right now...

so....a total of...17?

[quote user="Taylor"]

so....a total of...17?

[/quote]

that's a lot :) do you do things with them often?