Hives

Hi,

My eight year old son has been having a stinging/burning sensation in his hands and feet.  He has also had unexplained hives on his hands three times in the past week and a half.  My pediatrician was stumped and referred me to my endo.  My endo says its unrelated to the diabetes.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks.

People get hives and rashes and doctors usually can't trace the cause.  I don't see how it could be related to diabetes, so think it's just one of those things.

One issue to be aware of is the most common treatment for hives are steroids.  Taking them skyrockets blood sugar , so it's usually not worth it unless hives are severe.

Hope it goes away soon.  

Have you been able to notice whether it happens at certain times, like after washing? My son had something similar to that on his hands, not his feet. His was caused by the extra hand washings that he had been doing since being diagnosed. It was really drying him out. Even washing with Dove didn't help. Lotion only seemed to make it hurt worse, not to mention having to be washed off before we could check his blood, thus starting the process over again. We finally found this Avon stuff that he would put on as he was going to bed that would coat his hands. (It wouldn't wash off for several hours which is why he only did it at bedtime) It REALLY helped!

My son has allergies and when he was little he would break out in hives quite a bit.  He has taken allergy medicine for 3 years and hasn't had any hives until about 6 months ago.  I talked to his allergy doctor 2 months ago and he said sometimes they are caused by a virus. I would say that if it keeps up maybe he might need to see an allergist.