Hello Everyone!

Hi, my name is Karen and I am a T1, diagnosed in 2003 at the age of 32.  I am a pumper, which I prefer to the multiple injections, not very good at checking my bg though.  I do alot of estimating (I know, not good).  But, x units for x carbs does not always work for me and I hate the lows!  I am looking for support and will definately give support when I can.  I am happy I found you all here!

[quote user="Karen Melcher"]

Hi, my name is Karen and I am a T1, diagnosed in 2003 at the age of 32.  I am a pumper, which I prefer to the multiple injections, not very good at checking my bg though.  I do alot of estimating (I know, not good).  But, x units for x carbs does not always work for me and I hate the lows!  I am looking for support and will definately give support when I can.  I am happy I found you all here!

[/quote]

Hi Karen! Welcome to Juvenation! There is a lot of people here who were dx with type 1 diabetes in their 20's, 30's and even 40's (like me-dx at 42 in 2007). If you need any advice or encouragement, we are here!

Welcome to our amazing community here :) Since I have found this site it has helped with so many of my questions and curiosities about our all in common "gift". I, too, have a problem with checking my bg.....I get into a routine and my bg is the same everyday, so I don't always feel the need to check it (horrible habit, lol) Welcome to the juve!

Karen,

I'm very glad you found us too!  Checking blood sugar more often will help - and the carbs per insulin thing only works when you're also factoring in stress, allergies, exercise, heavy mental loads (lots of thinking does drop your sugar ;) ) - and anything else (see everything) that may impact your metabolism - a lot of it is tracking how you react to situations and foods and using the information to dial-in your doses.  Reaching out, reading and focusing on taking good care of yourself is a wonderful move in the right direction.  

When checking my sugar, I generally consider a "good number" a wasted test strip - i check looking for something to do (i.e. correct) - so - while it's nice to see an 83 - it's also a "who cares" event - unless i just gave a bunch of insulin, LOL - checking often - and if you are not on a CGM - in pairs about 15 minutes apart may give you some better gauge for the direction your sugar is moving when you check and help ya' avoid some of those lows...

I look forward to hearing more from you and I'm glad you're with us :)

Cheers!

A-D