Hello, everyone

My name is... umm let's just say it's meisme, and I just found out about this community. =P

About one year ago I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes, and boy did that suck. But after a few days of letting it settle in, and accepting this new life style, I feel great. I'm 20 years old now, and I'm going to college to get an associates degree in small business management. Umm, I have a few questions that I wanted to ask my doctor, but I keep forgetting, so I hope you ladies and gentlemen don't mind if I post them here. >_>

I didn't know where to post my questions, so I thought it would be best if I just place them in my introduction.

Firstly, I read a post a young lady posted in this forum about forgetting her insulin in her car which resulted in the insulin getting ruined. I live in Las Vegas, where the average temperature is usually in the high 90's and in the summers over 100 Fahrenheit. The commute from my house to school is quite the distance, and I'm worried about the heat "ruining" my insulin. How long can insulin be outside of refrigeration and at what temperature does it get ruined? How can I tell if my insulin is ruined?

Secondly, I've been getting very careless these past three months. I don't really monitor and control my sugar levels as much as I used to, I guess it's because I don't really feel weird when my sugar is high, and well because I don't really feel like taking a shot when my glucose level is around 135. I know glucose levels should be controlled as much as possible, but I just don't see the need to take a shot for just 1mg of insulin (and I'm lazy. =P). Maybe you could tell me the consequences of not controlling my glucose levels? I really didn't listen to anything the doctor told me, I just knew I had to take shots to control my glucose.

Lastly, I've been wondering if anyone has heard any news about stem cells and diabetes. More specifically skin cells turned to stem cells, and umbilical stem cells.

First of all, welcome!

I'm not sure how long it takes for heated insulin to spoil, but perhaps someone else can help with that.

When you say you don't feel weird when your sugar is high, how high is that?  I usually don't fret over 135 readings and a unit of insulin, either, but that's because 135 isn't that bad.  :)  The big consequence of constantly high glucose to worry about is the increased risk of long-term complications, including blindness, limb amputation, and kidney failure.  Complications are cut by 1/3 (33%) if you keep your A1C consistently under 7 (7 is equal to an average glucose reading of about 150).

I haven't heard anything new relating to stem cells lately, but still have hope that someday there will be a breakthrough.

Here's what I know. I use Lantus and Novolog and both are good for 28 days after opening (I do cheat no problems). They are both OK up to 86 F. I live in the California desert and haven't had any problems. I do keep it out of the sun and have a ice pack thing if it's really hot. After opening I keep both at room temperature and Lantus is no fun cold!!!! LOL  

hi im eric welcome to juvenation.

Well thank you all for welcoming me, and giving me great info/advise. I should really get myself organized again, and I shouldn't be too careless with this disease. I mean my life depends on it after-all. O.O