Hashimoto’s

Please help me understand the thyroid component of T1d. If antibodies are positive but TSH and T4 are normal, does this point to Hashimoto’s later on? Do Dr’s treat just a positive antibody or wait for actual abnormal TSH to appear? Thanks for input.

Hi @cnagreen. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in sometime in the 1980s. My mother had thyroid problems so I thought I inherited it from her - perhaps the connection between the two was not known at the time. Whatever the case, treating my thyroid has been relatively simple - ensuring I am getting the correct dosage of medication, which is confirmed via periodic blood tests.
I know this does not answer your question but it is really one you need to discuss with your doctor.

. Angela @cnagreen, a thyroid condition is not a component of diabetes". True, some people with diabetes, also develop thyroid conditions, and some persons with thyroid conditions develop diabetes. Neither is dependent on the other even though there are “antibodies” present on some persons with either of these conditions.

Treatments vary depending on what a doctor sees, and other conditions present in a particular patients body; the best way to know HOW YOUR doctor will treat you, if any treatment is needed, is to ask your doctor.

Hi @cnagreen, while it’s true that T1 doesn’t guarantee a thyroid condition and while it’s true that a doctor will define a treatment plan for you, the simplest answer is that many people with T1 go on to have hypothyroidism (not enough thyroid).

So if this is the case for you, the most typical treatment is thyroid replacement. For many, myself included, thyroid replacement consists of 1 tiny pill at the same time every day (period). I only wish treatment of T1 was that easy. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

I’m in the same boat as @joe. Without any other family history, my doc suggested that my hypothyroidism is a result of diabetes. I’ve been on 40 micrograms of levothyroxine for years. If there any side effects, I haven’t experience them.

Ok, to be clear T1D, Celiac, Hashimotos… they are all autoimmune diseases. One does not CAUSE the other, but those that have an autoimmune diseases, often develop another. I have two T1D sons, one that also has Celiac, the other also has Hashimotos. The one with Hashimotos simply takes Synthroid (a small pill) every day, and that’s the treatment. As one other mentioned, his Endocrinologist does periodic blood tests, so everything is always being monitored. Hope that helps!

Angela, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto’s a long time ago, as long as I take my Meds, no add’l problems. blood tests keep me in line, no big deal. Ps: this may sound a bit harsh, but don’t go barrowing trouble. There are so many of us with this problem and it doesn’t seem to stop any of us. I realize this may not be much help, but it’s all i can give you. Bye Jan