Hair problems

Hi everyone! I’m new to this site but I wonder if anyone could give me information about what’s going on. I was diagnosed a little over a month ago and around a week after I got out of the hospital I started having hair problems. My hair has started thinning dramatically and it is very uncomfortable and scary for me. I am a teen girl and my gynecologist says that it’s just hormones but it just doesn’t feel right. If anyone has experienced this and can tell me anything I would really appreciate it!

I can relate. My sibling who was diagnosed four months ago is currently experiencing this. She started having a lot of hair thinning and tons of hair fall out. She still has hair fall out but it’s not as severe. She reached a point where she lost so much hair that you could literally form a hairball, and you could assume that she cut her hair because of how much hair it was! We have spoke to her doctors and they ran some tests on her and they think that it has nothing to do with Diabetes. So we still have no idea why this is happening. Today we are going to visit our family doctor and see what they think. But her diabetes doctor says that it probably has nothing to do with her diabetes. I’ll keep you updated and tell you what our family doctor tells us. Hopefully you will have less hair fall out.
However, hair fall out can also be caused because of stress. Since you were barely diagnosed it could be that as well. Stay strong!

1 Like

I found this article. You should take a look at it. Does diabetes cause hair loss?: Causes and treatment options

1 Like

We automatically think of everything as related to diabetes but sometimes things are separate and apart. Having said that it could be stress related to the diagnosis, or even an issue a dermatologist could address. Just a couple of thoughts. Wishing all of you the best.

2 Likes

@KTypeoneforlife234 Hi Keira, and welcome to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum!

Although hair loss is common with people who have diabetes, the condition isn’t limited to us. However, it is common enough that some people/doctors consider thinning hair, other factors having been eliminated, as a sigh or symptom if diabetes.

The “good news”, is that many people who experience hair-loss that occurs around the time of diabetes on-set, tend to over-come this symptom and have full growth of hair; the hair recovery may be related to good diabetes management. Personally, I’ve had T1D since the 1950’s, just slid into my 80th year, and I have a full head of hair.

Good luck to you, recovery of your hair, but more importantly your success living a full, active, and rewarding life while managing your diabetes to fit into tour ambitions.

2 Likes

Today we spoke with the family doctor about hair loss. She said that it is very normal for teens who are barely diagnosed. After being diagnosed your body can go under lots of stress that causes this. At this point the only thing you can do is wait. The hair loss won’t be permanent and after a few months it’ll probably stop. You shouldn’t really be concerned unless your hair stops growing and you can see noticeable bald spots. Good luck! Stay strong.

2 Likes