Going on a Cruise while Diabetic

Not on the main topic, but just a note to jason26tm. Your mileage may vary, but my Medtronic pump and CGM sensors can be destroyed by xray or millimeter-wave scanning. I suggest you check on this. I have to hand carry them through security everywhere specifically to avoid such scanning. In order to do this, I carry a letter from my endocrinologist specifically stating that the devices, listed by name, must not be exposed to such scanning, and I’ve actually had to dig out this documentation once (somewhere in South America, but I don’t remember which country).

Rudy

2 Likes

True. Before I got TSA Pre-check, I’d always have my pump hand checked by security. The millimeter wave scanner always detected my transmitter & infusion site, so I’d be subjected to additional screening (hand swab for the explosives detector). But with Pre-check, I just walk through a metal detector, which has never detected the pump (and I carry my extra insulin in my pocket). There have been a couple instances in the past when my pump and/or insulin went through the X-ray machine - thankfully no issues & everything still worked properly. My spare sensors always go through the X-ray machine at the airport, but I’ve never had any problems with them afterwards. Frankly, the only issue I’ve ever had while travelling was returning to the U.S. from the U.K. last June - I was using a FRIO cooler wallet for my insulin, and security in Heathrow didn’t want to clear it. I had accidentally put my prescription info in my checked luggage, so I had no “evidence” that I was allowed to have it. No issues at all with the insulin or the hypodermic needles I was carrying - just the cooler pouch! The supervisor finally let me through once he realized it was for insulin.

1 Like

Over the years I have been on around 9 or 10 cruises, and food was never an issue. I generally like to try a lot of new things so I wind up bolusing for all the extra carbs… Lots of good advice above, One thing that I’ve always done has been to bring a totally extra set of supplies, and leave it buried in my suitcase under the bed or in the room safe if available. I would have my usual set of supplies that I carry with me and enough refills to get through the time( rounding up on amounts) handy and use them for the trip. Many times I just put the full extra set away when I got home, but one time I lost my insulin pouch while on an excursion (lost few days worth of supplies including insulin vials and pens) This actually happened during the first of 2 weeks on my honeymoon…

Wow thank you so much for the detailed list Jane, it is very much appreciated!! We are only going to Baja California this time, I am hoping to check out the “east coast” cities like Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel, etc. on our next trip :wink:

Mike, oh my goodness, that is a scary thought to lose my supplies!! Eek! Hopefully you had enough to last the two weeks during your honeymoon :slight_smile: That is one of my concerns so I’m bringing at least an extra months’ worth (even though we’ll only be gone a week). Especially after these coronavirus cases/ships being detained, you can never be too prepared!

Thanks for sharing, that is awesome!!! I would LOVE to go to Alaska one day, it’s on my bucket list :slight_smile:

Dorie, we are only going to Baja California this time but I would LOVE to travel to the Eastern side of Mexico one day, Playa del Carmen looks so beautiful!!

Went on one cruise.
Told cruise line far in advance of my T1D condition.
Arranged for low carb diabetic appropriate meals. Got to select tomorrow’s meals every day - mandated I ate at same dining room day after day. Helped me tremendously in keeping from gaining weight during my sole cruise.
Got my supplies hand scanned at every security check. Had three different medical documentation sets so one was always with me.
If I were more wealthy, another cruise would be planned. Every excursion was educational. Every ship event was entertaining.
Use of their gym equipment and pools kept my exercise up when laps around the ship or excursions were not helping me sweat.