Diabetes Management While On Vacation

Does your diabetes management suffer when you are away from home for several days, or more? If so, what steps do you take to keep your control as close to normal as possible?

We were on vacation 6/12-6/24. We saw our sons and our grandkids in Atlanta. We went by car since we hate the hassle at airports when flying. We also wanted to visit relatives along the way, which is impossible when flying. It all went very well as far as the visits are concerned, but the trip was hard on us and the fatigue factor had its toll. We will go back to flying from now on.

My diabetes control was not nearly as smooth as it is at home. Meals at irregular times, foods that had an unknown carb content, eating out a lot, too little exercise, and the very hot weather in VA, NC and Atlanta explains why I had several highs in the 150-190 range. I also had a number of lows in the 45-60 range. That roller coaster ride caused my old neuropathy problem in my left foot to start up again. It has already disappeared though since I have had much better control during the last three days. I will have everything back on track now. I am looking forward to that.

I have not had access to the internet very much since June 12. It is nice to be back and posting again!!!

I have to really increase my basal dose when I travel by car b/c I'm sitting there not moving for so long. To be honest, I'd be thrilled with 150-190 after hours in the car!

Glad you're feeling better.

Sarah, I stop my car every 1 1/2 hours and get out and walk for 5-10 minutes. That is necessary to keep me from suffering with arthritis pain. The exercise also helps keep me from going any higher with my blood sugar. I have to guess how many carbs I am eating at restaurants and that messes me up almost every time. I use the Calorie King book to get a carb count but the restaurants keep changing their menu and the new things listed are not in the book. I am not good at guessing the carbs, but I can keep my blood sugar between 50 and 160 most of the time when eating out.

Since I also have Celiac disease, I always bring lots of food with me to eat when I go on a trip.  So I don't eat out very much, which results in fairly normal numbers in terms of as a result of what i have eaten.  On vacation I certainly don't exercise as much, so that can send me higher at times.

Actually, I was diagnosed on August 2, 2004, and on August 4, 2004, my family and I were on a plane for a 15 day trip to Montana to celebrate my parents' anniversary.  So I really learned about diabetes 2000 miles away from home.  It was interesting to say the least, my mother called the hospital every few hours to tell them my numbers or ask questions or whatever.  She was quite stressed.

That was quite an experience.

I feel your pain, Richard. We just got back from Atlanta yesterday, but we live in central Florida so it's not as big a trip for us. Still, the irregular meal times, bedtimes, etc. wreaked havoc on Brandan's BG. It didn't help that the pantry at my relatives' house is loaded with sweets, either. ;) There were no lows, but some extreme highs. All I could really do for him was check his BG every 2 hours and correct it as needed. He's a super hero, though, so it didn't slow him down one bit and he had a blast.

I just flew back from CT yesterday, and found that when I'm flying (due to the actual flying, or the stress of having to do all of the airport hula hoops) I need to be at 50% temp basals for several hours.  I had pretty good control with that strategy.  I was surprised I actually ran low, instead of high - which is usually what my body does in response to stress.  (Or so I thought!)

Interesting note for you Kim. A few weeks ago I went sky diving for the first time in my life. I have pretty tight control of BS but stress will spike me up. When I left to go up I was at 256. When I landed I checked real quick it was 170!!!. Then back in line within an hour with no short shots. Maybe there is something magical in the sky. :)+