Giving Up

Okay, so I don't know if this is the right place to do this, but it sounded like a good spot...today has been a pretty bad day, like quite a few days have been lately. It seems like no matter what I do my blood sugar levels are always high...I take my insulin to cover it, and then it seems to just go back up, and today I think I just hit bottom...I exercised with my friends after school and then came home and relaxed a little before dinner, then I checked my levels to see what they were before I ate and they were at 365 and I hadn't eaten anything...I just feel like I can't do anything right anymore, especially when it comes to controlling my diabetes and I don't know what to do anymore...

everyone has bad diabetes days! i’ve been having similar problems lately, but the only thing i can tell you to do is NOT give up. i totally know how it feels, i have been diabetic forever, but the best thing to do is talk to someone and vent.
and i think this is the best place to do it, if you don’t have any diabetic friends in person. and i would suggest drinking a lot of water, like a lot, haha that always helps me when i’m high. and maybe watch your favorite movie or treat yourself to a manicure or something relaxing, it will help you take your mind off things.
i hope that helped a little.
and if you want to talk, i’m here!

I have had far too many of those days! It is especially frustrating when you really do everything right (excerise, bolus etc) and still end up with high levels. YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Just do the best you can do. For me, high/ low bs come in waves. Its frustrating when they are high but it won't be like that forever. For now, pamper yourself, like Rachel said. Do things that will make you feel better and, in time, those stubborn levels will come down. Mine shot up to 274 today for no reason . . . fabulous.

Thank you guys for the support...it just gets so irritating some days, and its irritating to look at the meter when you think your doing okay and it is so high...tomorrow is my last day of school before christmas break so maybe tomorrow i will pamper myself like crazy..thanks for the advice,its so nice to be able to vent on here and actually get some ideas that will help :)

you’re very welcome!
let me know how things go!
i hope stuff gets better soon(:

[quote user="Cassie"]

Okay, so I don't know if this is the right place to do this, but it sounded like a good spot...today has been a pretty bad day, like quite a few days have been lately. It seems like no matter what I do my blood sugar levels are always high...I take my insulin to cover it, and then it seems to just go back up, and today I think I just hit bottom...I exercised with my friends after school and then came home and relaxed a little before dinner, then I checked my levels to see what they were before I ate and they were at 365 and I hadn't eaten anything...I just feel like I can't do anything right anymore, especially when it comes to controlling my diabetes and I don't know what to do anymore...

[/quote]

Yes you are not alone and all we can do is our best. I know it gets to me and I've only been dx'ed about 1 1/2 years. After 52 years of normal life and bang, now it's insulin, syringes and meters. Hey that kind of sounds kind of like a song,  insulin, syringes and meters OhhMY My weird humor again.LOL

If that doesn't make a person smile then I don't know what will lol :) and I will keep everyone updated

Cassie,

You came to the right place. To echo everyone else, we all have those days. It really stinks. It really just makes one want to give up. However, we can't let this illness best us. It is a constant fight and one that we can all overcome. When we can't get our sugars down it is nasty and annoying. When we can't get our sugars up it is frustrating and annoying. If we can keep them where they should be it is such a reward. Just keep pushing for the middle ground. And once you get there hang onto it for as long as you can! The best of luck to you and know we will all be there there for you when you are Hi or Low or when you just want to chat!

Cassie,

This is a good place to come.I was 3 1/2 years old when I was DX with diabetes and I still have the days when I dont want to tack care of myself. I cant tell u that it is not fun being higher than what i should be because this summer in June I was in the hopital....So i think u did the right thing  coming on here and tell us what u think.....so good luck with everything and hope all goes well.

Watch  what you eat!   Fats are our enemies!  Those sneaky fats come into your blood stream 2-7 hours after eating!  Half becomes glucose and the rest body fat for storage  for future use.    Buffalo Chicken Wings and the burger joints are not our friends (HIGH FAT FOODS) .!  A well controlled Type 1  is an A&F  model look alike!

I just had my eyes examined.  My contact and eyeglass prescriptions strengths have been greatly reduced since I have been under excelent control for the last year!    I have been a good boy!!!   (Get it? Juvenile Diabetic)

I'd like to thank everyone for their support, it has been a great help. Tomorrow is the first day of Christmas Break for me so I will spend the day relaxing and pampering myself in hopes that I feel better. I still don't think I've broken 200, but I've been drinking a lot of water, and I have no keytones thankfully. I go to the doctor on Monday (hopefully the weather cooperates so I can do so, I've already had to reschedule twice) so I will probably get my insulin ration twice.

As for the advice against foods high in fat, I am doing my best to stay away from them. Burgers and chicken wings aren't really my downfall, its more the sweets..I know they are bad for me, which is why I've been trying really really hard to cut back, but they taste so good lol.

High BG is evil, hands down. I was told that not eating anything would cause highs (it messed with my head that I could NOT eat and have hideous blood sugars). Something about glucagon that gets kicked in when no food is eaten...anyway. It's a catch 22, I think. You eat and you have a spike...you don't eat and you have a spike. Big huge blar on the whole thing. It gets better I think...I have to check 10 times a day. Now I don't have huge spikes! (Lie) And I "never" have lows either! (yet another lie). But I do feel better, a little bit, I think. I also get three drops for every one blood sugar test. Sheesh. My best to your levels. May they behave, or, as someone once said to me, "May your digestion match your peak." It was something like that. I'm on break and busy messing up my circadian rhythm, which does wonders for levels. Well...you can do it, though. It isn't always up hill. There are sunny days. Or sunny, 120 mg/dl moments. Little tiny spots of happy, not-descending, not-sporadic, beautiful 120 mg/dls. Or so I've heard. Blar. They are better, and I feel better. Seriously.

According to my endo if your are on the right dose of Basal exp. LANTUS) you can go all day  at normal levels of glucose if you  do not eat. You only need to take Novalog or Humalog (Basal) or exercise if you eat to bring down your glucoser level.

You have the spikes when not eating from the fats that you ate  ( that sausage pizza) during a previous meal as long as  seven hours in the past.  Watch your fats!

If you have diabetic questions Google, Bing or go on Medscape to get the answers.

Cassie- diabetes flummoxes us all. Sometimes no matter what you do to treat it, nothing seems to work. I think pampering yourself may be a good thing to do. If it doesn't help lower your blood sugar, at least it can help support your attitude. It takes a lot of mental toughness to battle this disease, and a little pampering can help you keep the proper perspective for the "good fight."

II LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!  When   I go to to the gym I see these black guys with  round shaved heads, I get this horrible urge to go to CVS after  my workout and buy chocolate covered malted milk balls.  I satisfy my obsession dutifully unless the weather is unbearable! Guys for the sake of us Diabetics  leave a little hair on top!  PLEASE!!

Just a quick update, I finally got my sugars down to 152 earlier today..but yet again they are back up to 250. My dr said I was most likely fighting a virus because I've had a sore throat lately and that as long as I wasn't vomiting or if I could get them down to the 200's I should be okay. The past couple days have been an awful hard fight becuase I got my first keytones since diagnosis. I've finally kinda-sorta-maybe-but-possibly-not gotten them back down to between negative and trace amounts. I've been drinking alot of water and checking my blood sugar either every hour or every other hour. Thank you for all of your support. Happy New Year everyone!

S6730...

I apologize for being dense. Did you eat a sausage pizza that made your BG go up? I read your post and wasn't sure about its meaning...

Hey,

Another two cents...I took Lantus for a while...it ran out after around hour 18. I used to take it in the morning, and would wake up with really lousy levels (felt lousy too...no better way to wake up--kidding on that one). So I moved the time to night. I sliding scaled up until nightfall and had not taken the am dose.

I tend to have a very--whatever the term is--limited, minimal diet--it's just the default setting; my fiance is the exact opposite...we both I guess burn at different levels. I grow muscles pretty easily (although getting sore as well...higher levels of lactic acid, I think) but anyway...the phenomenon of high BG levels happened after the same period of time with almost identical conditions.

I think Lantus has a run out time for me. It's like all treatments...no medicine works the same in every person, unfortunately...if it did, wouldn't treating a medical condition be predictable, simple, and effective. And no lifestyle works the same from one person to the next. I can pump weights, do aerobics (and be sore as everything) and gain a tenth of a percent in muscle mass in the same amount of time that another person wouldn't gain any muscle mass. I can go without very much food (and not want it when the levels are good), while another person would not do well at the same level.

I could eat something and have immediate effects to deal that would never affect another person..and so on.

I hope you feel better. High BGs feel lousy. Keep on keeping on. It sounds like you are well on your way to feeling better. 

High blood sugars are awful. And the reason for them is not always easy to find. If you have normally good control and then have a bad day, I wouldn't get upset. They happen. Personally, I blame phases of the moon. If the bad phase lasts longer than a couple days and there are no readily available explanations - like that Christmas dinner I ate this year - then it is probably worthwhile to see the doctor (or nurse, depending on where you are). But don't get stressed over it - the solution is out there! 

I suspect we all feel like giving up sometime. I know I do. And it's ok to feel that way, but you are going to wake up and still have that stupid disease. So when you feel like that, just keep on keeping on. The mood will pass.

Peace,

dave

i am feeling the exact same way lately. my numbers are always between 200-500 lately even if i dont eat anything or i take insulin to cover it. i have also been having severe chest pains for the past day or so. i may need to go to the hospital. it feels like i dont know how to take care of myself. hang in there, everyone has trouble with their diabetes. diabetes is unpredictable as i say. you never know what each day is gonna be like.