Getting a Pump

I've wanted a pump for as long as I can remember, and now I'm finally going to be able to get one, but I have one thing I'm still quite confused about. Do you have to have your A1C at a certain level before you can qualify for a pump or no? My A1C is crazy high and I'm hoping that won't ruin my chances to qualify for one.

Hi Andrea,

I'll admit that I did check your profile to see where you are from.  Seeing that you are in Ontario, I, as a fellow Ontarian, will give you my answer!

I just started using a pump last November, thanks to the then-recent announcement that the Government of Ontario's ADP would fund it.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "crazy high" A1Cs, but mine were definitely not bragging material!  My endo had no problem filling out the forms and everything went through without a hitch.  My A1C went from 8.3 last October, I started using a pump on November 30th, to 7.7 in February to my most recent, that I just got yesterday, 6.9%!

Bottom line, ask your endo.  The idea of the Ontario government funding the insulin pumps is that it will reduce the cost of health care for Type 1 diabetics in the long run!  Your doctor may want you to provide a logbook with all of your numbers and/or want you to do BGs more often, but trust me, it's worth it!

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the information! I'll definitely ask my endo next time I see her.

Your A1C's sound great! Unfortunately what I meant by crazy high was 13.7% ! That's why I'm concerned that they might not want to give me one, but if it means lowering my A1C, it makes sense right?

Thanks again!

Andrea,

The thing with the pump is that it does help and allow greater control in the long run insulin pump therapy lowers the A1c and everything which will keep you healthier in the long run. I can't see the government run insurance program not wanting that to happen. The idea of the pump is to help make lives easier for you. Hopefully things will work out for you.Good luck though.