Food weakness

So I know being diabetic involves a lot of sugarfree foods and low carb food.  I just want to know if anyone else can't help themselves in a grocery store.  My fiancee(who is not diabetic) is a sweet food addict he loves cake , ice cream and anything that would probably make me very sick with a lot of consumption.  I try to stay away from them but somedays I can't help it. I go to the grocery store and its like im spinning in circles with temptation.

Anyways my weakness is Ben and Jerrys ice cream I cant help my self some weeks. I try not to eat that much at a time because its like the worst ice cream for me possible. Well my question is does anyone else have a weakness to any type of food?

[quote user="aubijane"]

So I know being diabetic involves a lot of sugarfree foods and low carb food.  I just want to know if anyone else can't help themselves in a grocery store.  My fiancee(who is not diabetic) is a sweet food addict he loves cake , ice cream and anything that would probably make me very sick with a lot of consumption.  I try to stay away from them but somedays I can't help it. I go to the grocery store and its like im spinning in circles with temptation.

Anyways my weakness is Ben and Jerrys ice cream I cant help my self some weeks. I try not to eat that much at a time because its like the worst ice cream for me possible. Well my question is does anyone else have a weakness to any type of food?

[/quote]

I have a bit of a weakness for salty food.  I read that this is more common in males, but I like basically the exact same foods my dad likes, so I guess I inherited the male salt gene anyway despite my second X chromosome.  ;)

As for the sugarfree and carb stuff, while those foods make it easier to save on insulin, there's nothing we type 1 diabetics can't consume compared to other non-diabetics - it's just a matter of giving oneself more insulin when we do have them.  I don't think type 1s need to consume any less sugar than what is recommended for non-diabetics.  Moderate portions are everything with or without diabetes.  :)

I mostly allow myself one little sweet treat a day and try to keep it around 40-30g of carb or less...so a cup of ice cream, a cupcake with lots of icing, a good-sized brownie, a cup of chocolate pudding...you get the idea!  And none of that sugar-free or low-carb stuff for me, I eat the real deal!  If I deprive myself of all sweets it just gets too hard and I go off the deep end and over-indulge.  40g seems to be the magic number for me.  I can match my insulin accordingly and not have too high or too prolonged of a glucose spike later if I keep the carb gram under this.   

Buy small plates and bowls, and when you eat a bowl of ice cream (or a plate of cake), only fill the small bowl (plate). The fact that the bowl is full makes it look like it's a lot, when it's really not that much, but enough to satisfy a craving.

I like getting doughnuts about once a week.

i avoid sugarfree because they tend to have chemicals that end up making me feel so bad, it wouldn't been worth it to just shoot up a few extra units and sugarless generally tastes like ass. my main food weakness though regardless is probably twizzlers.

I miss my being able to eat what ever I wanted!!!! Sugar free soda is about my only sugar free thing. I still treat myself to goodies. I like to use them to treat my lows. Cheese cake tastes SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD when I am low. LOL

OK, I had to check your page and Welcome!!!!!!!!! Just so you know the reason I really miss being a sugar addict is I joined Club 1 at 52.

Again Welcome to Juvenation!!!!!!

I have a total weakness for Fry's store brand cherry cheesecake and cookie dough ice cream. Oh! and Starbuck's. But other then that, I am obsessed with eating lots and lots of fruit. My mother finds it a marvel that I would go for a bowl of fruit over a bowl of ice cream anyday.

[quote user="Batts"]

i avoid sugarfree because they tend to have chemicals that end up making me feel so bad, it wouldn't been worth it to just shoot up a few extra units and sugarless generally tastes like ass. my main food weakness though regardless is probably twizzlers.

[/quote]

The only sugarfree thing I have is diet soda. I don't like sugarfree things either, my endo thinks it is pointless for a diabetic to eat sugarfree foods

[quote user="Abigail"]

[quote user="Batts"]

[/quote]

The only sugarfree thing I have is diet soda. I don't like sugarfree things either, my endo thinks it is pointless for a diabetic to eat sugarfree foods

[/quote]

Not to mention the diarrhea and gas that sometimes accompanies over-consumption of some sugar-substitutes, lol.

[quote user="Batts"]

[/quote]

Love your wording!!! May I ask what does ass taste like????? Just kidding. Couldn't stop myself!!! LOL

we only do sugar free Jello and drinks. Everything else is what it is. They told us in the hospital NOT to buy sugar free stuff because it still has carbs and she might as well enjoy what she is eating without the bellyache most get from sugar free stuff because of the sugar alcohols in it.

My biggest weakness is homemade ice cream.  Every once in awhile we have ice cream night and we make our own ice cream.  I love it because I can control how much sugar is used when making it  and  my son has a blast making his own masterpiece with a bunch of add-ins that I give him.  Now that I can't have milk products (anything with casein) we still do ice cream night but now I give my son a bowl full and walk way (do laundry or something) because the temptation is so, so strong.

My weakness is mozzerella cheese.  Preferably in string form.

I also enjoy minty and chocolately things, though - ice cream, Andes mints, Thin Mint cookies, etc. 

[quote user="Keith221"]

[quote user="Batts"]

[/quote]

Love your wording!!! May I ask what does ass taste like????? Just kidding. Couldn't stop myself!!! LOL

[/quote]

haha im brutually honest about it. i donno what ass tastes like(swear!) but i'd assume it tastes like sugar-free candy!

the only sugarfree stuff i have is pop(though i try to avoid it and i have to do half water half pop most of the time) and crystal light.

My three biggest are Mother's Animal Circus Cookies, It's It, and any Hostess cakes. I just can't help myself.

Most of the time I avoid sugar-free because the carb count is almost the same as the "sugar-filled" so I just enter the carbs in my pump and bolus for whatever I'm eating. Not that I pig out or anything, just eat "normally".