First, aggravating day on the MiniMed 670G

I highly recommend joining the Medtronic 670g support group on Facebook. That community has been a great help to me and my daughter who began using the 670g this past June.

1 Like

I don’t think the rep had any business telling what to set your carb ratio to. That is the doctor’s job.

1 Like

I know what you mean but all is good now. We will be making weekly check-ins and she is approved by my endo to make certain changes. I’ve never had an endo that was well-versed in any individual device. They probably get information from sales reps and maybe they read the pamphlets(? - do they give those out anymore??) but I’ve always been told to call the rep or the company’s customer service line for help with settings.

I know it’s sort of contradictory - a registered dietitian making “medical decisions” for an insulin pump sounds iffy - but if my doc trusts her then so do I.

Things are going much better the past 2 days so I think my carb ration might be fine as is but we will see on Sunday!

Have a great New Year and thanks for your feedback! :smiley:

1 Like

Hey lolaveed70,

I was diagnosed in 1958 as a T1d, when I was 4, and am now on the 670G sys also. Total 180, as far as taking shots go. When you first get the pump, it has to learn when you dose, how much, etc. for at least 2 weeks before you put it in Auto mode. I had to go to an FDA approved class before I put it into Auto mode anyway, so just give it some time. It is worth it. By the way, it only has to be calibrated every 12hrs. When I first got the sys, they were saying it needed to be calibrated 4 times/day and I got with a Medtronic CS on the phone and she said the pump only needs to be calibrated every 12hrs. In fact, she went on to say that the pump will tell you when the next calibration is - go to STATUS on the first menu, then on the next menu go to SENSOR, on the next menu, go to NEXT CALIBRATION, and it will tell you the next time you need to calibrate it. It’s great, she said since it only needs to be calibrated every 12hrs, so you can calibrate it before you go to bed, then when you get up, and maybe at lunch or dinner. That’s it.

As far as getting the adhesive residue off the transmitter, on the sensor, when you change it, use UNI-SOLVE Adhesive Remover on it. Get the 8 oz bottle of liquid. I do and it works great.

I’ve been using a University affiliated Dr. for my endo work. I have found that they are more qualified and have the current technology to work with. I used to go to private practice Dr’s. and I’ve noticed a difference. Check it out.

Take care and looks like you’re doing fine. Just keep at it!

1 Like

i Louis,
Not gonna lie or blow smoke, I’ve been on the 670 for well over a year now. I absolutely hate the pump. Past the fact it has my A1C in the best range I’v been in in 20 years, the pump sucks swamp water. From the design to the interface to the fact that medtronic made it larger in order to accommodate a double A battery. I was a Tandem user prior to the 670. My Endo was so excited about the closed loop system that he pushed really hard for me to go the 670. He even told me that Because of it that Tandem was closing up shop. I checked Tandems stock and sure enough their stock had plummeted from about $70 down to $2.40. MAN! I LOVED MY T-SLIM PUMP! It was the best pup I’ve ever had. Fast forward to my year and a half with the 670. Doc knows I hate it. “Give it time, give it time, give it time” was his advice. I have, and I recently found out that Tandem now has its own version of a closed loop system. Their stock is back up and they are moving forward. When I was with them their tech support was second to none. Medtronic is a total pain. One week to hear back on a sensor issue is unacceptable. I can’t tell you how many nights my wife has asked me to go to the couch because of night time alarms. It will often times kick out of auto mode in the middle of the night because of minimum or maximum delivery. If its not in auto mode it is just another pump.

I could go on with all the problems but bottom line… If you have a chance, I highly recommend looking at Tandem before pulling the trigger. It’s a wonderful company and their pumps are designed around and with the aid of diabetics, not some engineer who buries “Fill reservoir and tubing 10 clicks deep in the interface” (NO, I’M NOT KIDDING)

As for me, I’m counting the days until I can hook back up with Tandem. Best of luck to you either way you go!

~ Jack

P.S. Thought I’d drop this in here for you.

1 Like

Thanks Jack , that’s exactly what I did , I decided on the tandem, I’ve been fortunate enough to have great control, and I’ll bet I can do better than that auto mode anyway ! , I’ve read several people complaining about it bigtime , if there was one bad review I’d over see it but that’s all I’ve seen bad reviews! Thanks again Jack I’ll get my new pump in a month ! Tandem slim it is !!

Awesome!
I could write a small book on issues I’ve had. When the 640 works it does a brings down my A1C but it is antiquated technology were Tandem is right there where a company should be. Plus, my 640 reminds me of an old car. . . it takes a lot of care to keep it going (:

Hi tored - Thanks so much for this. My trainer noted in my manual 3X a day to calibrate. I must be doing something really wrong - calibrating too many times a day, if that’s a thing; or maybe the new sensor that I just put in yesterday.

It’s currently almost 5AM and this has been an awful, aggravating night. The thing I stressed when agreeing to switch to this system was that I can’t have anything waking me up in the night for alerts that wind up being incorrect. That is how it started at 1AM.

It alarmed for a low that wasn’t - 2 fingerstick confirmations 15 minutes apart confirmed me at 126 and NOT the 55 that it woke me up to treat. For the next 3 hours it kept asking me to calibrate, to enter BG for Auto Mode (since it had booted me OUT of Auto Mode by the time it woke me up for the “low”) and to wait to calibrate/wait to enter BG in a seemingly endless loop.

About half an hour ago it finally accepted a BG and switched me back to Auto Mode but I’m annoyed and feeling down from lack of sleep. Lack of sleep is the one thing that will put me in home-sick mode and for a device that I am supposed to trust to put me there is kind of unacceptable to me.

I sent an email to my trainer (didn’t feel like being on the phone with customer service but I’m tempted to call them now that I’m a tad more calm) and uploaded the data from the past 24 hours so she can look at it and maybe help me figure out what happened.

Literally the only thing that was different was the new sensor and, when the pump alarmed and woke me, I was sleeping on my left side. The new sensor is also on my left side but it’s on the front of my abdomen. I specifically asked my trainer if sleeping on top of the CGM/sensor affects the accuracy and she assured me that it didn’t. The last CGM I used (the Dexcom 5, I think??) was hella sensitive and ALWAYS, ALWAYS alarmed (with an extremely inaccurate reading) if I happened to be sleeping on my stomach.

Have you (or anyone else reading this for that matter) experienced an increased reliability when using certain sites for your CGM? Just curious…

Now to see if I can go back to sleep! :sleeping: :sleeping_bed:

Hello lolaveed70,
The pump only needs to be calibrated every 12 hrs, so twice a day is not feasible since you sleep for 7-8 hrs/day, so that’s why you need to calibrate it 3 times/day. The pump will tell you the time when it needs to be calibrated. Just go to STATUS, on the first menu, then go to SENSOR on the next and then the next menu it will tell you the next time it needs to be calibrated. What day did you replace your sensor? It takes a while to get it up to speed after you change it. I just keep calibrating it when it asks for it. You have to calibrate it only when it asks for it. Otherwise, it won’t!

Try calibrating it before you go to bed and you shouldn’t get any notifications when you sleep.

Also, try calling Medtronic and see what they say. See if it’s the same as what your trainer said. You can call Medtronic 24hrs a day, so it doesn’t matter when you call them. What about your Dr’s office, what did they say? I always use a university affiliated Dr. because they’re more qualified and have the current tools to work with.

The only time the sensor and pump gets interrupted is when your BODY gets in between the sensor and pump. Anything else, it won’t matter.

As far as using certain sites for using the CGM, it can be affected by that site, by scar tissue, etc. so be aware of that also. It you can, rotate the site on your abdomen. That will prolong the scar tissue forming.

Hope that helps.

fci

1 Like

Try make up remover to remove glue off censor

2 Likes

Hey lolveed70, sorry to hear you’re having trouble with sleeping and the sensor. I’m not sure what the problem could be. I would call the Medtronic tech supp as soon as it happened so they can figure out what might be wrong. I know it’s not good to call them when you’re supposed to be sleeping, but since they’re open 24/7, you shouldn’t have any problem.

When it asked you to calibrate it for the next 3 hours, did you try calibrating it thru the first menu, when you press the center button, and says Enter BG? Or you might try calibrating it thru the Bolus Wizard? It always asks for a calibration after you get done with putting in your BG and carb values (you can always put in 0 carbs for a normal or low BG). I calibrate mine that way, thru the Bolus Wizard, and haven’t had any problems. Did you just put in a sensor? That can be a problem getting it up to speed when you first put it in sometimes. Also, you could be inserting your sensor into scar tissue and that could cause problems also. That’s why you should call their tech support line to see if that could be an issue. I do have scar tissue on my abdomen and I try my best to insert the sensor around the scar tissue. I originally inserted it into the scar tissue and didn’t realize it and called the tech supp line and got it resolved. I did get a new sensor out of it, so it can pay to be diligent. It did take some time, but I got the issue resolved and got a new sensor out of it. I don’t experience any problems when I insert the sensor into unscarred tissue. Hopefully that helps and you get it resolved.

As far sleeping on top of the sensor, just make sure your body doesn’t get between the transmitter and pump and you won’t have any problems. The accuracy won’t be affected by sleeping on top of it. Just make sure your body doesn’t get between your pump and the transmitter.

Hope that helps and hopefully you can get some sleep!

Thanks. Problem was solved a while ago. (Actually, I think you replied when I first posted this…!) They eventually wound up replacing the transmitter for me and one sensor.

Great. I always call the tech supp line first, because you never know what they will do.

I Hiya, everything going better now? This isn’t a reply exactly, just a comment. After wearing my 670G for two weeks, I started auto mode a week ago. During this week, my glucose has gone from 67% of the time within target range (120 to 170) up to 88%!! I’ve had no lows and have only gotten as high as 215 when I’ve been out of range. I. FEEL. GREAT. Everyone’s 670G experience is different of course. Mine has been awesome.

2 Likes

@yukonmax Hello and Welcome to TypeOneNation. this is really great news.

Hi, @yukonmax! Thanks for asking :slight_smile: Yes, things are much better now. I’ve been a Type 1 diabetic for over 36 years so you get into some semi-unbreakable bad habits over the years like “insulin stacking” and trying to control basically everything.

I was advised to just “let go” and let the system do its thing and it seems easier now to do exactly that. There are still a few minor things about the system which I do not like BUT my total daily dose is now ridiculously low; around 19 units a day which is great news for me. Checking my reports recently I was also about 88% of the time in range so it feels way better now than when I first started.

A big problem for me is patience… but, with insurance coverage being what it is here there was really no option to just change my mind and switch to another device.

Thanks again for the encouragement. It helps so much to have support from this community. :heart:

Hang in there. I have the same model of pump. I had a real problem at first with sensor life and crazy things like what you were having. Medtronic replace the sensor transmitter and it works much better. Not perfect but yes I have highs (300-400) and lows (42) at first and then it smoothed out. If it really acts weird, go off of auto mode for a day or two and let it stabilize, then go back on auto mode and it should work better. I am really surprised your trainer mentioned anything about changing your Carb rate. That should be handled by your doctor.

1 Like

Hi @gbdover. My trainer and my endocrinologist have been working together for so long that he’s authorized her to make such changes. It’s been my experience that the MD’s really don’t take a very hands-on role when it comes to technology; other than prescribing them. If your doc knows (and I’m not saying it’s acceptable that they don’t) then that’s great. I think they should go for training just like we do. It would help.

Medtronic did wind up replacing the first Guardian that came with my system. The new one does NOT do that infuriating “Enter BG” loop of death anymore, lol.

I feel like I’m doing much better with it overall and actually enjoy knowing what to do (or, not do :wink: ) with it.

Have a great weekend and thanks :grin:

Anyone having issues I urge you to speak with Medtronic. The first two weeks drove me mad to the point I removed the 670G and went back to my veo. Then I read all these posts about the looping problem. I rang Medtronic who said there were no known issues. I asked them to google and see all these complaints. Please get them to change your transmitter! It will work properly after that. When in automode turn off BG alert at night otherwise it wakes you to say you are at same BG (I was 6.5) for a long time and it wants to check its ok. No worry turning this off it just delivers safe mode and goes straight into auto when you give BG in morning. It also does this if you are high for a while. Don’t expect it to be good with fatty or slow release food. It does not catch up as it doesn’t do a square or dual bolus. I just give half carbs then check a couple of hours later and adjust. Things that need seeing to but it is great once its working properly. I now sleep all night and am in target range %85+. Takes some getting useful but make them acknowledge this fault call them and tell them. They need a certain number of reports for a known fault! Don’t be fobbed off insist on new transmitter.

1 Like

Good morning! I actually got a new transmitter a month or two ago (the shipping center called me a month later saying they never received the old transmitter back which was kind of annoying since they had to send me 2 shipping kits since the first one was too small!)

My next question:

How do you turn off BG alerts at night? I thought that was a preset thing whenever you’re in Auto Mode… I adjusted the High Alerts a while back because it was always beeping at me right after meals (I can’t always dose 15-30 minutes before every meal as was suggested to me by my trainer).

This is one of my least favorite things, actually, but I know it’s there for my “safety” :wink:

Thanks for reading & replying! :smiley: