Finding the energy to keep fighting

This is my first venture into this site so forgive me if I blunder something. I’m 36 years old and was diagnosed at 4. I’m at a point where complications(retinopathy) are srarting to show up and it scares me. I need to get better control but struggle finding the motivation/energy to buckle down. I would appreciate any tips anyone might have for the emotional ups and downs that this crazy disease brings to us all.
Thanks.

I’m in the same boat - 31 years with it, diagnosed as a teenager. I recently started seeing a new endo who called out that I had Stage 2 kidney disease (apparently my prior endo did not feel this needed to be mentioned) and also beginning neuropathy. I took the customary few weeks to feel sorry for myself and mourn that I would need to start following a low-sodium diet (like low-carb isn’t challenging enough!). He helped me simplify my pump settings and that has really stabilized my BG’s, which is empowering. I’m learning how to find/make low-sodium stuff, which is challenging due to a busy schedule and lots of eating out. I’m hoping that by focusing on this, I may be able to arrest or even reverse some of these complications.

Are you seeing a diabetes educator? They are wonderful, and they usually schedule a few hours to help troubleshoot BG patterns, talk about food choices, carb counting, or you can just vent to them too. Most endos are really rushed and don’t have the time to deal with the emotional side of diabetes and the frustrations it brings, but a CDE can really help. And of course, forums like this where we all get what you’re going through. You have the rest of your life in front of you, so that is where you will find your motivation. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?

I’m in the same boat - 31 years with it, diagnosed as a teenager. I recently started seeing a new endo who called out that I had Stage 2 kidney disease (apparently my prior endo did not feel this needed to be mentioned) and also beginning neuropathy. I took the customary few weeks to feel sorry for myself and mourn that I would need to start following a low-sodium diet (like low-carb isn’t challenging enough!). He helped me simplify my pump settings and that has really stabilized my BG’s, which is empowering. I’m learning how to find/make low-sodium stuff, which is challenging due to a busy schedule and lots of eating out. I’m hoping that by focusing on this, I may be able to arrest or even reverse some of these complications.

Are you seeing a diabetes educator? They are wonderful, and they usually schedule a full hour to help troubleshoot BG patterns, talk about food choices, carb counting, or you can just vent to them too. Most endos are really rushed and don’t have the time to deal with the emotional side of diabetes and the frustrations it brings, but a CDE can really help. And of course, forums like this where we all get what you’re going through. You have the rest of your life in front of you, so that is where you will find your motivation. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?

I am also completely new to this site. I read this and the words “motivation/energy to buckle down” were like music to my ears! I was diagnosed two years ago with T1D at the age of 24. I just had my two year anniversary (if you can call a diagnoses an anniversary), and I am STILL not doing what I should be doing. I am just messing around and its not good for me.

But enough about me, I just wanted to tell you that YOU are ALONE in these feelings.

I don’t have much advice other than, it is hard, and it sucks having this disease, and it sucks having to be so on point all the time with food and activities and feelings and emotions. It just sucks. I don’t think there is any way around it being a horrible annoyance.

Just know you aren’t alone in it. There isn’t anything in the world that isn’t felt or experienced by at least one other person on the planet.

You will be fine. If you want to hear more about my struggles, I would be happy to share. But know that we all have good and bad days. It feels like its a bad life sometimes. But it all will get better as we go.

If it’s not all alright, then it isn’t the end.