Fenugreek

I had a baby 4 weeks ago and am trying to breastfeed (mostly pump). My supply is low and I saw online that taking Fenugreek can increase supply. I also saw that it reduces glucose levels. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing since I’m already having trouble regulating my sugars. Has anyone tried it?

Sorry, don’t know anything about Fenugreek.

I thought it was really difficult to get much milk with a breast pump. I’ve heard the hospital grade pumps are better than the pumps you can buy as a consumer. Can you contact your hospital’s lactation consultant and see if you are using the best pump possible and if she/he has other recommendations?

Are you feeding via pumped milk because you’ve gone back to work? The best thing I learned from a co-worker is that breastfeeding doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I breastfed when I was home on maternity leave and tried to pump for a (miserable) month after returning to work. But I hardly got any milk during the day. Finally started breastfeeding in the morning, when I got home at night, and before my son went to sleep. During the day at the babysitters he had formula. Formula costs more than breastmilk, but it was worth it. My body adjusted after just a few days and I had plenty of milk at feeding times.

Jenna,
The pump I’m using is supposed to be good, so I don’t think it’s that.
I’m pumping and bottle feeding because I want to give him a mix of breastmilk and formula. I’m on a seizure med (have had seizures due to low sugars in the past), and it makes me nervous because the drug passes through to the breast milk. The med is supposedly safe for breast feeding, but you never know for sure. I figure if I give him formula, too, I’m reducing his exposure to the drug.
I also like using a bottle so that my husband can help with the feedings!