Breastfeeding Mamas

Has anyone noticed that if they have a high BG they "dry up"? 

It's funny that you mention that.  I have often wondered about that myself.  I was misdiagnosed with type 2 when I was 6 wks pregnant.  Went the entire pregnancy thinking I was type 2- ketones, glucose in urine, lost 30 lbs, it wasn't good.  After I delivered they told me that it went away (probably because I lost SOOO much weight I was a toothpick).  It took 6 days for my milk to come in and I NEVER had a good supply.  It was always a fight.  6 weeks after I delivered I wasn't feeling well and decided to test- I was near 500.  I have always wondered IF I had been properly diagnosed as type 1 from the beginning and had good BG control that entire time what my supply would have been.  So, I guess, that is my long way of saying yes, I totally think there is some relationship.  Have you noticed it?

It makes sense.  You need extra fluid in your body to produce breast milk and to flush glucose from kidneys when blood sugars are high.  

i think so, i had a couple days that i couldn't get bgs down and in control and it seemed like i was hardly making any milk... i think i need to keep a journal and do research lol there needs to be more info for us diabetic mamas in gen and the ones of us who BF

I BF for the first 10 days. During those days I experienced soooo many lows. I was testing my blood about 6-8 times per day and I think maybe the highest I ever saw was in the 60's. I was eating and drinking everything with sugar and I couldn't get my BG steady so I decided to quit BF. Within a few days I started seeing spikes in the high 200's constantly. Then I regreted stopping. LOL But in time it has eased up. 5 weeks post partum now and BG's are doing pretty good.

i had a lot of lows the first couple weeks PP but i never attributed it to BF I just figured it was adjusting insulin which we did and it evened out. My bloodsugars have been hard to control lately, harder than when I was pregnant, but I've made it two months BFing :) I think my Bloodsugar probs are more because of lack of sleep and constant hunger, also sometimes I'm eating with one hand and holding baby in the other so I forget to bolus til a little bit after i ate

I currently have a breast infection and started antibiotics today. My blood sugars have been in 200-240 most of the afternoon, and although I am drinking a ton of water, when I pump I am getting about half as much milk as I was before!! Anyone have info about high blood sugar and breast feeding and/or ketones and breast feeding?

Thanks.