Fear of public insulin shots

GG,

First, Im sorry you are embarrassed by the situation.

Second, having said this, I agree with others: move past it! You gotta do what you gotta do! If it means a shot with a syringe then do it. My grandma did, with a syringe, for many years. To be fair you’re college age and there’s a different “embarrassment” factor, but still, diabetes was also less “common” in my grandma’s time, so fewer diabetics administering shots, so…

Anyway, do what you need to do. I’ve shot up out in the open. I’ve excused myself and gone to the ladies room. I’ve bolused in front of friends at home. Depends on the day and my mood, I guess. But you do it.

If you don’t want to do insulin shots in public, don’t. I don’t. I’m not going to say I never have, but usually I don’t. While it is true that I have a right to and other people can lump it, I just don’t want people to think of me as “different” or “sick” or whatever. I just want them to treat me normal like everyone else.

People have all kinds of weird ideas about what diabetes is an what doing injections is. I don’t want my opportunities to be limited by what one of these morons thinks.

I don’t necessarily use the bathroom, often I’ll find a place around the corner from others. If you’re in a busy place like an airport, people aren’t paying attention to you, they’re too busy doing their own thing. You can also inject through your clothes. Sometimes I do that.

I know mine is not the popular opinion, but to each his own.