Ever been told not to inject infront of someone?

Personally I inject my insulin where ever I damn well please, but have been told a few times its rude. I always say to them "I have to do this everyday 5+ times a day and you may only see me do this one time, i think you can handle it" But they always get this smug look on their face like I'm wrong. Has anyone else went through a situation like this?

I've been very lucky in that nobody has ever made a nasty remark to me about injecting.  Not my family, friends, co-workers or strangers.  I'd be very upset if someone asked me to go elsewhere to take care of myself.

I had a similar situation in 7th grade. I was testing my sugar and a teacher yelled at me. He said I couldn't do that in front of other students. His reaction hurt my feelings, he was completely rude about it. I thought this is part of my life if you don't like it, don't look. Although I could not say that to him, I thought it. My parents arranged a meeting with the teacher and principal and told them I would test whenever, where ever I needed to. That same year I had a seizure from a hypo. in math class and no one had anything to say then. I haven't had any issues since, that was many years ago.

a few times, i've been told i should go into the bathroom or somewhere private. while i use a pump, i take a different by injection when i eat. wherever i happen to be standing is where i typically do my shot (unless i have to pull down my pants or lift up my shirt--no use showing off the goodies). i have the attitude people who are embarrassed or drug addicts can go slink into a bathroom and "shoot up." i'm not one of them. this is my life and i don't make apologies for others who can't handle it.

[quote user="C"]

a few times, i've been told i should go into the bathroom or somewhere private. while i use a pump, i take a different by injection when i eat. wherever i happen to be standing is where i typically do my shot (unless i have to pull down my pants or lift up my shirt--no use showing off the goodies). i have the attitude people who are embarrassed or drug addicts can go slink into a bathroom and "shoot up." i'm not one of them. this is my life and i don't make apologies for others who can't handle it.

[/quote]

agreed. if someone tells me to go to the washroom to do my shot or something, i tell them to fuck off. i don't explain why i need to do it there, or why i should be allowed to do it where i please. that's my business not theirs. i find telling them to fuck off, or to go fuck themselves..makes them back off so they leave me alone and that's the end of the discussion. it's rude, but it's straight to the point and it doesn't leave an opening for them to continue unless they decide they wanna have a cursing war! haha. in which case, i'd win. if there's an old lady around or a young kid..i won't do that then. i just tell them if they have a problem with it, they are more than welcome to excuse themselves while i take my shot...the whole 5seconds it takes.

(haha yes, i'm pretty in-your-face when people tell me i can and cannot do something when it comes to my diabetes)

[quote user="C"]people who are embarrassed or drug addicts can go slink into a bathroom and "shoot up." i'm not one of them. this is my life and i don't make apologies for others who can't handle it.

[/quote]

Wow, I guess I'm embarassed or a drug addict.  Never knew that until now.  I'm not embarassed, I just don't think it's anybody's else's business but my own.  If I want someone to know I have diabetes I tell them.   If they don't need to know, I don't.  I don't want to do my diabetes stuff in public because I don't want people to treat me differently.  I can understand your point of view, but I think differently.  But to each his/her own ...

[quote user="C"]people who are embarrassed or drug addicts can go slink into a bathroom and "shoot up." i'm not one of them. this is my life and i don't make apologies for others who can't handle it.

[/quote]

Wow, I guess I'm embarassed or a drug addict.  Never knew that until now.  I'm not embarassed, I just don't think it's anybody's else's business but my own.  If I want someone to know I have diabetes I tell them.   If they don't need to know, I don't.  I don't want to do my diabetes stuff in public becuase I don't want people to treat me differently.  I can understand your point of view, but I think differently.  But to each his/her own ...

My daughter is very private about testing or doing shots in front of anyone.I have been with her a few times and did the block thing-where I would just stand in front of her.so she can do her shot witout the worry of it being seen by others. She has gone into the bathroom many times. I am not happy about it==bathrooms-but I understand her feeling of privacy. I would have no problem seeing anyone doing a shot,but some people are nervous around a needle.They could be kind though and just go on with whatever they are doing.

[quote user="DDrumminMan"]

[/quote]

Wow, I guess I'm embarassed or a drug addict.  Never knew that until now.  I'm not embarassed, I just don't think it's anybody's else's business but my own.  If I want someone to know I have diabetes I tell them.   If they don't need to know, I don't.  I don't want to do my diabetes stuff in public becuase I don't want people to treat me differently.  I can understand your point of view, but I think differently.  But to each his/her own ...

[/quote]

i think of it like this..if someone was having an allergy attack and needed one of those pen injections..you wouldn't ask them to go to the washroom. if someone with asthma needed to use their inhaler, you wouldn't go "excuse me, but do you mind disappearing to that possibly dirty, probably not very sanitary bathroom stall to do that? thanks." right? so why do i have to be shunned to a bathroom stall to take medication?

at work, if i am going to do my lantus in the thigh, like most mornings because the dose is so big...i go to the washroom. obviously wouldn't pull my pants down at my cubicle! but nothing is more awkward than leaning against the wall in a squat to get it so that i can pinch fat to do my shot. i wouldn't dare pull my pants down and sit on the toliet(since there are no lids in most bathroom stalls) and do my shot..especially in most washrooms at resturants. gross. but for a shot in my arm, in my stomach...why do i need to lock myself up? most people don't notice, and the ones that do and treat me differently because of it aren't worth thinking about anyways.

[quote user="meme"]

My daughter is very private about testing or doing shots in front of anyone.I have been with her a few times and did the block thing-where I would just stand in front of her.so she can do her shot witout the worry of it being seen by others. She has gone into the bathroom many times. I am not happy about it==bathrooms-but I understand her feeling of privacy. I would have no problem seeing anyone doing a shot,but some people are nervous around a needle.They could be kind though and just go on with whatever they are doing.

[/quote]

in the downtown area of my town and loads of other cities..people are used to seeing crackheads doing needles..hell i walk past them more often than not when i am on my lunch break(i work downtown..right in "cracksquare" where city hall is also located). people don't even second glance when they see it..why should i hide out when a crackhead can shoot-up, smoke-up..hell even have sex..out in the open?

HI Batts,I would  not tell you or anyone where  to take a shot. The day my daughter does her shot in front of anyone out in public I will be thrilled.To me that is a sign of acceptance and feeling secure in your d care. She has no friends with type1 and we live in a small town. She just wants to fit in as best she can, I was speaking about her only.I think if she ever gets a pump she will get used to having that and will be more open.

oh I know Meme :) I just meant that I don't let people tell me where i can and can't do it because in this town they don't bat an eye to a crackhead doing drugs infront of them. i didn't mean you personally :)

people at school when i was in the nurses office would alwyas say ewww or something im like yea you see this once in your life i see it 6 times a day shut up they acted like i shoulndt be giving a shot or some thing i didint care watever i will laugh if thay end up being diabetic cuz than they will seee it all the time lol

Meme-- When I was younger, I always injected in private. Now, I'll do it anywhere. Im sure one day your daughter will just say, "I'm not inconveniencing myself for everyone else!" and inject where ever!

With people I don't know well, I will warn them though so they can look away in case they're afraid of needles. Know I don't have to, but I figure it's polite. (:

THANKS Batts,Kaylie,Sarah--One day there will be a cure for this and we all can throw one **** of a party.We will ask DDrrummin Man to bring the music !!! HA

I guess I'm one of the more in your face people. If people I'm sitting with ask me to let them know so they don't see an injection or fingerstab, I'm ok with that (some people get squeamish). But if anyone gives me problems, I tell them: You wouldn't ask a person in a wheelchair to switch seats so you didn't have to see their chair, so why do I have to change for you?  A good guilt trip/different perspective

I have! My friend's told me not to and I was like "if you don't want to see it turn away". They like always freak out when I would take my shots infront of them. I did it infront of them most of the time just to gross them out. If they had to take them they sure wouldn't say anything about it. I get so mad at them sometimes!

My son is a very non-confrontational kind of person.  But he's not felt the need to be private about his shots (at the dance studio, in restaurants, in the library).  This spring at school he gave his pre-lunch shot in the nurse's office because he was new. In the future, I wonder what he'll do.  It's kind of up to him.  What I'm really curious about is that he has worn shorts to school since being diagnosed, and he is very partial (exclusively partial?) to injections in his thighs.  I'll be curious to see how far into the school year he continues to wear shorts.  November?  December? Anybody wanna make bets?

[quote user="Chris."]

Personally I inject my insulin where ever I damn well please, but have been told a few times its rude. I always say to them "I have to do this everyday 5+ times a day and you may only see me do this one time, i think you can handle it" But they always get this smug look on their face like I'm wrong. Has anyone else went through a situation like this?

[/quote]

Chris, I'd just tell them that fine, then I'll be rude and you can deal with it.  You have a right to take care of yourself.  I personally find it really funny when people get upset/needle shy/annoyed when I inject in public or text or whatever.  I just tell them, hey, I'm diabetic and I need to do this so I don't get sick or pass out, have a seizure, or die.  I think it's fun to be "rude" to those people - saying that to you is beyond inconsiderate.

You can shoot through your clothes.  I do it all the time.  Jeans might be a little difficult...