Finger pokes and injections.. in public

I'm going to assume, from the many posts that I've read,  that most of you here are all using a pump.  BUT, for those of you who use injections I have a question for you (of course everyone tests blood sugar so my question applies to all).

How comfortable are you testing your blood sugar and injecting in public?  For us we are very open.  My daughter could care less.. at school, at the mall, at friend's houses, at restaurants.. anything goes.  We eat out quite frequently and I always wonder what people around us are thinking.  We test at the table and draw needles at the table.  I mean really, are we expected to go to the bathroom?  Um, I don't think so.

I am the same way, and was when I was on the flexpen too.  My theory is why should I have to go out of my way when I am perfectly comfortable to  have to get up and leave for other people's 'comfort'.  I'm already having to poke myself with needles, I'm doing it here--don't like it?  Don't look!  :-)

I test my blood sugar and give myself injections in public. I try to do it discretely and not put all my business out for everyone to see but I don't think I should have to go to the bathroom every time. Especially because a lot of bathrooms are yucky and/or have no space to work in.

I'm still on shots (tried the pump last fall but didn't like it) and since I was dx 17 years ago, have always done it wherever/whenever i please. i don't do it around little kids though, parents tend to freak out about that. i'll either wait a few minutes til they are gone, or go someplace out of sight from them. i rarely use a washroom except when at a fancy restaurant. we try to get booths if possible at most places though so i dont have to use the restroom.

i have tested or taken a shot everywhere from a bus stop in the middle of the day, to while my bf is driving, to on the grass at the fair!

I'm not so open about it.  I used to be *super* self conscious about being diabetic when I was a kid, and would not dream of taking a shot or testing in public.  I would always go to the bathroom to do it, or out to the car, or whatever.  If I drew any attention from strangers, I was humiliated.  This is no fault of my parents...it was all me. 

I've come a long way though.  I have come to terms with the fact that I should not be ashamed.  I test in public now.  I am now on a pump, but I would probably take shots in public if I could do it discreetly.  I am also more open to talking about diabetes with people now.  When I was a kid, I would avoid the subject with anyone except my parents.  I guess I have been diabetic long enough at this point to realize that it's just part of who I am.  If other people notice, oh well.

I poke and shoot every day. I try to be discrete about it, but will do what I have to, wherever I have to, take care of myself. If people are around me I just say I have to check my blood and take a shot so if you don't like blood or needles turn around or leave. 95% of those around choose to leave. Great way to clear a room if you want to be alone. Lol. :)

I'm very comfortable injecting in public I don't try to hide it at all I inject in public the same as i do at home it does makes the people around me uncomfortable but its fun to see the looks on there faces.

Test in public. Used to give shots in public, till we started pumping. We try to be discreet with my son and checking, like I'll put his test kit in my lap and have him stand next to me at the table in a restaurant, so it is less out in the open. But around his friends, etc in our home, we just put everything on the table and explain what we are doing. His friends now see it as no big thing. (They are all 4 and 5, so that is a great age for that.)

I test and take shots in public too.  On occasion I forget that it's not as routine to the general public as it is for me.  Sometimes I can get a funny reaction from people and looked over once to see a woman staring at me and turning a beautiful pale shade of white.  I also worked with a woman who was terrified of needles and if she saw me taking a shot she would freak out so I tried to be understanding of that as well.  Years ago I read an article in a magazine where someone was complaining about people taking shots in public and how disgusting it was and that we should go to the bathroom to perform such tasks.  A diabetic responded by saying that there post or article was terribly inconsiderate and if their bodies were going to secrete insulin in public they should go to the bathroom to do so.  They also pointed out how gross, small and inconvenient most public restrooms are.  I see nothing wrong with testing or taking shots in public.

It's also kinda exciting to know there are still so many people out there that take shots.  Sometimes I feel like I don't belong in the diabetic world because I'm not currently on a pump but I like relating to others.  Very cool!

[quote user="mrsshores109"]It's also kinda exciting to know there are still so many people out there that take shots.  Sometimes I feel like I don't belong in the diabetic world because I'm not currently on a pump but I like relating to others.  Very cool![/quote]

Well, I think that a lot of us (especially those of us who were diagnosed many years ago) took shots at some point, even if we are on the pump now.  So, we can still relate.  :-)  I've actually considered going back to shots a few times.  The relationship I have with my pump is very love/hate.

[quote user="mrsshores109"]Years ago I read an article in a magazine where someone was complaining about people taking shots in public and how disgusting it was and that we should go to the bathroom to perform such tasks.[/quote]

I always went to the bathroom/the car/etc to take shots/test because I didn't like drawing attention to myself.  If someone told me I should do that because it's disgusting, I think I would go out of my way to take shots in front of them.

I have always tested in public. Even though I'm on the pump now, when I was on shots, I always did those in public too. I remember writing an editorial to the Ann Landers column because she said those with D should go to the bathroom. Of course it was never published, but I fired off a letter about how we are people and not drug addicts ashamed of our illness. I think I was about 14 when I wrote it? Can't quite remember; it was a long time ago. But my feelings have obviously never changed :o)

My roommate can't stand the sight of blood, so I have to give the "don't look over here" warning every time before I test... it's kind of annoying. But that's life, right? 

Maybe this isn't the right attitude to have towards it but the way I see it is if I don't have a choice why should everyone else? I have to test my blood and take insulin. The only person I go to the bathroom for is ironically a close friend of mine who has type 1 as well. I figure if she has to do the same things I do and still gets freaked out at the site of needles then I don't mind going to another room.

As for kids, I have 3 nieces aged 10 and under and when I got home from the hospital I explained everything to them about what I was doing and why while testing my blood and taking insulin in front of them. Kids are usually just curious, not frightened. My nieces are comfortable enough with it that within the week 2 out of 3 of them knew how to test my blood and were pricking my finger for me.

So do I think we should have to hide? Absolutely not.

I always do it in public except for when my dad is around because he kinda gets embarrassed or thinks its improper, which bothers me like crazy!

[quote user="SnoopDawg1990"]

My roommate can't stand the sight of blood, so I have to give the "don't look over here" warning every time before I test... it's kind of annoying. But that's life, right? 

[/quote]

lol my friend is afraid of needles. when i go to do my shot and he's around i always go "hey look at this!" just to make him freak out haha he'll laugh about it though.

I use insulin pens, so even people who are afraid of needles seem to be ok. I even inject my butt in restaurants by pulling my pants down slightly, lolol. No one's ever said anything that I can remember.

I used to be self-concious when it comes to testing my BG and shooting insulin in public, but I found sometimes it is needed to inject through clothing (not fun or comfy when you are using a pen needle or short needle srynge) .

[quote user="Sarah"]

I even inject my butt in restaurants by pulling my pants down slightly

[/quote]

Yeah, I used to inject in my butt by pulling my pants ALL the way down...kidding, whenever I was "out" I would give injections in my arms only.

As far as testing, I test everywhere. Sometimes if I am someplace "one in a lifetime" or something, I will test my sugar even if I feel I don't need to, just so I can say, "I have tested at [this place]."

[quote user="Run D-Link"]

As far as testing, I test everywhere. Sometimes if I am someplace "one in a lifetime" or something, I will test my sugar even if I feel I don't need to, just so I can say, "I have tested at [this place]."

[/quote]

HAHA.  I could say something about being a diabetes nerd but I won't.

I've always tested in public, but I try to be discrete about it by testing under my desk at school, or the table, etc.  I also did shots in public I think when I was on MDI.  I honestly don't care about any of it - it's a part of who I am and people can deal.  

When I was on shots and started MDI's I made a decision that if I have to breath in public, I shouldn't hesitate shots in public. The fun came when I got so good a fast that no in very public places would see me inject right out in the open. I made a little fun with looking to see if anyone noticed and sometimes would ask it they would like to learn about D it they said anything.

After starting BG testing, it was all out there, just like walking or breathing, you just do it, now matter where, when or with who. 

The pump is a little boring, there not much people watching opportunity.