Difficult foods

I was just eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich today at lunch and I wondered if I had given myself enough insulin.  Bread-50cards, jelly-25

so the total comes out to 75 carbs

Usually when I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I have to bolus for more than it actually is...today I decided on 95 carbs as the amount I would try out.  No dice, higher blood sugar than usual an hour after lunch.

I'm not a huge dual wave user but I've been thinking about it lately.  What's the ratio of now to later insulin, and when is later for you?

Any food over 10g of fat I have trouble with.

I just though I'd throw in here that M&M's are evil.

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

I was just eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich today at lunch and I wondered if I had given myself enough insulin.  Bread-50cards, jelly-25

[/quote]

Just a few curious questions here.

1.  Is that your normal amount of carb consumption per meal?  75g of Carbs?  My doctors told me to keep it around 45g of carbs per meal. 

2.  What kind of bread are you eating that's 25g of carbs per slice?  Even my think double fiber loaves aren't that carb heavy.

Thanks!

I was going to ask the same thing as Matt.  25carbs for each slice of bread seems REALLY high.  Makes me wonder if your carb ratio is off.  Maybe it's set too low.  I eat PB&Js all the time and bolus, at most, for 35-40 carbs, total.  I typically buy whole wheat or oatmeal bread....whatever happens to be on sale that week, so it's never the same brand each week.

Another problem might be your basal rate for the lunchtime hours.  Have you ever skipped your lunchtime meal and just seen if your BG stayed in the normal range?  Might be worth doing to see if your basal rate is off.  If it jumps up during those hours then you know you can crank up the basal during lunch hours (11-2pm ??).

what about the PB? i get reduced fat skippy PB (yum!) and it has a few more carbs than regular PB, but less grams of fat. that makes controlling my bs easier than regular PB. so id try that first.

[quote user="Matt Johnson"]

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

[/quote]

Just a few curious questions here.

1.  Is that your normal amount of carb consumption per meal?  75g of Carbs?  My doctors told me to keep it around 45g of carbs per meal. 

2.  What kind of bread are you eating that's 25g of carbs per slice?  Even my think double fiber loaves aren't that carb heavy.

Thanks!

[/quote]

1. i eat a lot, i average about 350 carbs a day according to my pump.  I have no limits to what I eat according to the doc, maybe im abnormal. lol

2. its from "breadsmith" maybe you've heard of it but its potent.  I eat honey oat bran, bran is high in complex carbs.

[quote user="Kristen"]

Another problem might be your basal rate for the lunchtime hours.  Have you ever skipped your lunchtime meal and just seen if your BG stayed in the normal range?  Might be worth doing to see if your basal rate is off.  If it jumps up during those hours then you know you can crank up the basal during lunch hours (11-2pm ??).

[/quote]

my blood sugar usually drops if I don't have anything, I don't think my basal or carb ratios are off because juice and other simple carbs don't do this with my blood sugar.

I have finally figured out pizza with the dual wave function. French Fries confuse the heck out of me. I was talking with my pump trainer on Monday about that and she laughed when I told her French Fries confuse me. Yet she did not help me come up with an answer either...

Does your peanut butter have sugar in it?  Ours doesn't, so I don't count it.  But Skippy has corn syrup and sugar, and 14 g of carbs for a 2 Tbsp serving.  2T is barely enough to satisfactorily cover a piece of bread, so if you're generous with your slathering (like my hubby), that could add up...

carbs + fats are hard.

big carbs + fats (large helpings of pizza, cheesburger... no make that a bacon cheesburger, PB + jelly, french fries all qualify)

Hard means if you count up all that carbs and give yourself a bolus you'll likely go low in 45 minutes, and then be verrrry high in 2-1/2 hours.

I use a pump so I can "dual wave" or "combo" a bolus and it's still tricky, if the meal is over ~60 grams of carbs.

trial and error is the only way to get a bolus like that correct.  I try to keep a fatty carby meal like that to lunchtime so I know I'll be active, which is the biggest help IMO.  The other method is to avoid large, mixed carb meals.  But I do like my peperoni pizza... 

good luck to you.