Pizza is evil

I made pizza last night for dinner. It was 45 carbs I did a 1:15 ratio. Riley went from 189 to 415! She staid high all night long. At 4a.m. she was down to 269 then just now 213. So how do you figure stuff like this out? She dropped a lot over night more than 40 obviously. I guess most of her meals are going to be 1:10 ratio cause she is always high 2 hours after eating not as bad as before but still not on target. Ok just babbling now lol.

:) Carbs in pizza take longer to break down. What I have found works best for Brandan is to wait about 15-30 minutes after he eats it to give him the insulin, but everyone is different.

Yea, for me any bread is is to be kept in small amounts. I use to live on bread. LOL When I eat pizza no more than 2 slices at a time, same with bread.

i dont know if someone already said this but fat slows down the absorbtion ... pizza is one of those tricky foods... when i eat pizza i do insulin when i first eat like 3 units then ill do another couple of units a little later on... i have to do the same if i eat like a bowl of pasta ... if i take insulin to cover the carbs i ate all at once it drops so again i do some when i eat some later.. its thinking like a pancreas!

[quote user="Jessica "]

I made pizza last night for dinner. It was 45 carbs I did a 1:15 ratio. Riley went from 189 to 415! She staid high all night long. At 4a.m. she was down to 269 then just now 213. So how do you figure stuff like this out? She dropped a lot over night more than 40 obviously. I guess most of her meals are going to be 1:10 ratio cause she is always high 2 hours after eating not as bad as before but still not on target. Ok just babbling now lol.

[/quote]

jessica,  i love pizza (and chinese take out for that matter) but learning how to eat it takes a lot of practice.  first, because of the fat, pizza can take 6+ hours  to absorb.  thats a lot longer than the fast acting insulin can last.  humalin R was way better for pizza than humalog/novolog. 

i learned by eating pizza for lunch (so i am awake and testing afterward) and then messing around with pump's dual and  square wave bolus.  i need 20-30% up front, if i am low i dont bolus at all for 30 minutes.  i bolus for 150% of the total carbs in a slice (this adds for the fat), and square wave for the remaining (total minus up front)  for 3-1/2 hours.  btw if i am having an active afternoon pizza is great for staving off a low and i skip the extended bolus.  this works for up to 3 slices for me.

the only thing that is frustrating is if the insulin starts to work before the pizza!  i can get an awful low if i overshoot the upfront bolus.

honestly for the folks on analog shots, pizza may not be worth the effort.

I have never had a problem with pizza, even when I wasn't counting carbs. I eat a whole pizza at least once a week. I think that the main reason for this is because being vegan I do not eat cheese/meat on my pizza( where the fat is coming from). We make our pizza at home from scratch, and each one is about 125 carbs.

Pizza IS evil

What happened was Riley's initial carbs were covered by the insulin you gave her but the problem lies with the fat in the pizza.  It takes an insane amount of time to absorb so the carbs were blocked and slowly absorbed too.  On a pump it is much easier to figure out pizza there are methods of giving insulin that give you an initial set amount and then depending on the person, it will have insulin delivered over time (half hour up to four hours).  Injection wise, I would suggest giving your daughter the amount to cover like 75% of the pizza then in a half hour give the remaining 25%, it wont work perfectly but it might work better.  Otherwise talk with her doctor about the evil pizza!

i ate pizza for 10 years before getting a pump. riley can definitely eat pizza! it will just take some trial and error to figure out how to take insulin for it. temporarily, she will have to deal with high BGs after pizza, but you and she both will eventually figure out the meds.

even though joe has an insulin pump, you can do something similar to what he is doing with shots. take some of the insulin up front to stop the immediate high, then take some more of the insulin later to stop from going high after all the fats & proteins break down. like i said, it will take trial and error. i can't tell you how much insulin to take now and later, but you will be able to figure it out. i would aim low at first to avoid low BGs.

don't worry. you will get it right :o)

lol I didnt realize how badly it got to her before because she was always high. Now that her numbers are lower wow its nuts. Its going to take a lot of playing to figure it out I gave her her insulin on the end of what we have it set at. I think I need to change her correction ratio too cause 1:50 just doesnt seem to be doing it. I knew the fat in it slowed down the process I just didnt realize it was that bad for her. Now I know and I know the just bun and sausage breakfast sandwiches she eats in the mornings take longer and more insulin that other things as well I just have not figured out what it is yet. Its nuts. There is way more to think about this way but its so much better for her already. She loves the pen and doesnt complain about how bad I am about giving it to her anymore. Thanks for all the support hints and tips.

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

I have never had a problem with pizza, even when I wasn't counting carbs. I eat a whole pizza at least once a week. I think that the main reason for this is because being vegan I do not eat cheese/meat on my pizza( where the fat is coming from). We make our pizza at home from scratch, and each one is about 125 carbs.

[/quote]

hey, hv. i'm just wondering how you make your crust and what you put on your pizza for toppings. i wouldn't mind trying a vegan pizza sometime. :o)

[quote user="C"]

hey, hv. i'm just wondering how you make your crust and what you put on your pizza for toppings. i wouldn't mind trying a vegan pizza sometime. :o)

[/quote]

Hey C,

We rarely eat bread but we make pizza dough a lot. This is the main reason why we got a bread machine. There is a pizza dough setting on our machine which is very handy. I don't have any clue though how to make gluten free flour, sorry. I can type up the recipe and send it to you though, and you could just sub wheat flour for a non gluten one I suppose. As far as the rest of the pizza goes...We make tomato sauce and add cinnamon, and basil (sometimes other spices but mostly those two). Cinnamon and tomato are such a good combination, if you have never tried them together I highly recommend it. As far as toppings go...it really depends on what we have. Some of my favorites are olives, tomatoes, spinach, onion, garlic, pineapple, mushrooms, bell-peppers, and broccoli. My husband likes to put pine nuts on his sometimes, but I am not so much a fan of that. We top it off with dried red pepper, sesame seeds, and a few sprinkles of oatmeal.

[quote user="Happy Vegan"]

Hey C,

We rarely eat bread but we make pizza dough a lot. This is the main reason why we got a bread machine. There is a pizza dough setting on our machine which is very handy. I don't have any clue though how to make gluten free flour, sorry. I can type up the recipe and send it to you though, and you could just sub wheat flour for a non gluten one I suppose. As far as the rest of the pizza goes...We make tomato sauce and add cinnamon, and basil (sometimes other spices but mostly those two). Cinnamon and tomato are such a good combination, if you have never tried them together I highly recommend it. As far as toppings go...it really depends on what we have. Some of my favorites are olives, tomatoes, spinach, onion, garlic, pineapple, mushrooms, bell-peppers, and broccoli. My husband likes to put pine nuts on his sometimes, but I am not so much a fan of that. We top it off with dried red pepper, sesame seeds, and a few sprinkles of oatmeal.

[/quote]

Remember those studies a while back saying cinnamon everyday is good for your BG? Maybe that helps too. (:

P.S. Jessica -- I love the title of this thread. I may start one that says "Bananas are evil" lol. How I would love to eat cereal and bananas for breakfast, but that's a complaint for another day.

lol My hubby and I both about had a heart attack when we saw her that high I knew why but still just didnt expect it. He was confused and I said it was the evil pizzas fault but still had not idea how to go about bolusing for it but now I have a much better idea thanks to everyone here.

Try pita bread for the dough, it is very predictable for the carb counting. Home made doughs usually have a very high glycemic index because they are high flower dough. 

After switching to pita bread it has been a breeze to cover the meal and it can be custom made for each person. Trader Joes has a pizza sauce that is low carb and taste goo to. 

As far as pizza place pizzas, the fat really impact carb absorption and you will have to court some fat in for the insulin, not just the carbs. 

Sadly, pizza is on my "don't eat" list.  It seems all the carbs and all the fat make my blood sugar go up, and stay up! I take so much insulin, and it doesn't have that much of an effect! I think we've all been in this situation before. (I do eat pizza when I'm battling low blood sugars all day though because it keeps my numbers up)

I have been buying a premade crust from the store before I used English muffins. Those might have been better for her. None of us really likes sauce on our pizzas so that isnt a big deal. Maybe I can find her some low fat cheese. I also need not to be afraid to bolus her higher at dinner time. I always go back to 1:20 maybe 1:15 if its really bad like the pizza.

I'm sure it's been said, but pizza has a lot of fat/protein depending what you put on it. Fats and proteins take longer to break down so after the fast acting insulin stops doing its thing (about 4 hrs) your body is still digesting the fatty foods (cheese, meat, etc.) and the resulting glucose has no insulin to keep it down, hence your post-pizza sky rocketing glucose.

I've found the insulin pump makes pizza and other foods that are high in slower digesting nutrients to be very helpful. You can set up a combo bolus that gives extra insulin with the basal rate and helps mitigate the glucose spike.

Don't call pizza evil :-( I love pizza