Differences between humalog and novalog

Ok so recently my husband switched from using humalog to using novalog.  I am currently using novalog so we figured it would be better if we both were using the same insulin.  Since switching to novalog he has had some unexplained lows.  One night I came home from working a 13 hour day and found him passed out in the bedroom, totally unconscious, sweating like crazy.  His sugar was 47 when I checked it and when he finally came out of it he said he only remembered coming home from work and turing the tv on in the bedroom.  This was around 6:30 or 7 and I didn't get home until 10.  He said he hadn't eaten since 3pm that day so he had no active insulin and couldn't understand why he went low.  Then the same thing happened again only this time it happened in the morning.  He went to bed at night and his sugar was in the 120 range.  The next morning his alarm went off and he didn't get up.  I got up to turn it off and saw him lying in bed with a glazed over look.  His sugar was 55.  And then today while he was at work at 2pm he went low again.  Before switching to novalog his sugars were regulated.  We can't seem to figure out why he keeps getting these lows especially since they are occuring at different times.  Has anyone else had this experience??  Is there that much of a difference between humalog and novalog???  Is it possible that they react differently in your body, enough that you would need to change your basil rates and bolus rates???  Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  :) 

im no expert, but I was told to consult a doctor anytime you switch insulin. Did his doctor tell him to switch? I have an insulin pump and my doctor has me using Humalog since its fast acting. I found this online

Differences Between Humalog And Novolog Versus Regular

Using injections, Humalog, Novolog, and Regular are primarily used to cover meals and snacks, and to lower high blood sugars. Most meals create a rise in the blood sugar for only a short period of time, normally 2 to 3 hours. Regular insulin, available since 1922, takes 30 minutes to start working, peaks at 3 to 4 hours after the injection, and continues lowering blood sugars for 6 to as much as 8 hours. Humalog, on the other hand, begins working in 10 minutes, peaks at one to one and a half hours and is gone in about 3 and1/2 hours. Novolog insulin has an even faster onset of action and peaks in 40 to 75 minutes, which has surprised many when they switched from Humalog to Novolog.

For more info, visit: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_treatments/insulin_humalog.php#ixzz0rc5JhV8y

Yeah we consulted with the doctor before switching and he is using an insulin pump.  We just figured since we were both diabetic it would be easier for us both to be using the same insulin.  We didn't realize there would be such a difference.  We actually have a doctor's appointment on Thursday and plan to talk to the doctor about it but wanted to see if there was anyone else out there who had a similar experience when switching insulins.  Thanks for the info.

I recently switched from Humalog to Novolog because of changes in insurance copays. I didn't notice a difference, although I feel like my sugars may have been slightly less varible on Humalog.

If it's not a question of insurance coverage, maybe he should switch back to be safe?

Amy, I have heard that some people feel or notice differences.  For me there is none. I switch back and forth no problems.  Sounds like you hubby had  a lot going on when got home...    the way  to find out is fro him to switch back and see if it goes away.  good luck.  carry carbs.

I've never had any problems either switching back and forth in the same day.

You shouldn't need change any of your basal or boluses based on using Novo versus Humalog.  They're barely chemically different with almost equal start times and strength.  If you can't figure out an answer just cut back on the Novo a little bit, no problem with that all.

I use novolog and it put me in the dirt a couple of times in the beginning. I have since tried very hard to change my diet to where I don't have to take it very often and my Levemir gives me enough on most days. I have found you have to eat quickly after you take it and don't miss your timely meals. Good luck.

My endo switched me over from regular to novolog several years ago, which gave me better control over lows.  The regular was staying in my system too long and causing a lot of issues with lows.  I really like novolog, but I've never been on humalog, so unfortunately I can't compare the two.

Differences Between Humalog Versus Novolog

A couple of major differences are being reported by users between Novolog and Humalog. Especially among pumpers who switch from Humalog to Novolog, reports have surfaced that Novolog appears to be both stronger and quicker than Humalog, and doses have to be cut in order to prevent hypoglycemia. Dose reductions are often in the 10% range, and it may be wise to reduce doses right away to prevent unwanted lows. If, instead, blood sugars rise, doses can always be raised again.

Novolog also starts working faster than Humalog. Although no direct comparison of Novolog and Humalog has been reported, one research study found that in normal individuals, Novolog reaches peak activity at 52 minutes, compared to 145 minutes (2 hours and 25 minutes) for Regular insulin. Humalog peaks at about 75 minutes (Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1999 May;55(3):199-203). Both pumpers and injectors may note lower post-meal readings due to the faster onset of action.

For more info, visit: http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_treatments/insulin_humalog.php#ixzz0rgeWRDbx