Diabetes History Fun

Bored, thought this would be fun. I think most of us know who Dr. Banting is, but what about the others who have made life better for diabetics???

Here goes who is Leland Clark??? Here's a hint type 1 for sure and type 2 maybe, use it everyday.

Ah!  I love this post.  I am always so fascinated by history, which is funny because my husband is always so interested with the future.  He says, he never looks back, but I like to look back to understand the present. 

Anyway, Leland Clark is the "father" of the glucose sensor, used to monitor our glucose levels.  Some little known facts...Science says diabetes has been around since 1500 B.C. and that they even have records of it from early medical writings.  In the late 1800’s, a German physician, Paul Langerhans, found the part in the pancreas that later was discovered to be the place where insulin is formed, collected and then released.  Indians used to test for diabetes by seeing if ants were attracted to an individual's urine since the high content of sugars in the stream caused it to be sweet.

That's my contribution of diabetes history.  I'm interested to see what other people find out.  Oh, and in case someone didn't know who Dr. Banting is, he won a Nobel Prize in 1923 for the research and finding of insulin.

Kool, How about the first person to buy and use a home meter??Hint: Book

Hm...you stumped me on that one.

[quote user="ScrappyDy"] Oh, and in case someone didn't know who Dr. Banting is, he won a Nobel Prize in 1923 for the research and finding of insulin.[/quote]

I think it's interesting to note that the Nobel Prize in 1923 came less than two years after insulin was first used (January 1922) on a human. Nowadays it takes decades before a Nobel Prize gets awarded.

I think it's interesting that Banting and Best were Canadian (not American).  I wonder what country the person (or people) who find "the cure" will be from?

OK.  Now let's get real tough.  Who is this "guy" and what does he have to do with diabetes research.
(Hint:  His initial are "D.K."  which is actually kind of funny... especially if you add an "A.")
Who is he?  What was his contribution?  When?

[quote user="ScrappyDy"]

[/quote]

Dr.Bernstein

[quote user="Keith221"]

[quote user="ScrappyDy"]

[/quote]

Dr.Bernstein

[/quote]

Nope.  This is Dr. Bernstein.  (His initials are not D.K.)

Dr.B Is the first person to buy and use a home meter. He's fight with Dr.s about home testing is the reason he became a Dr., use to be an Eng.

Sorry abouut that Keith.  Yes, Dr. B's wife was a physician, which I believe was one of the main reasons he was even able to purchase one.  I had thought that was the answer to my quiz question.  Dr. B.'s book is a must read for all Type 1's.  When I'm strict with his diet, exercise, etc. routines, I have the best control.  He should know... he's been Type 1 for over 60 years!

Anyway... here's another hint for my question.  Who is this guy?
What did he do related to diabetes?  When?
(Hint:  He's obviously into fancy hi-tech devices.)

Dean Kamen 1983 -fIrst insulin pump-inventor

1960 's    ??

Oh,the picture is a hint---the segway he invented ?

[quote user="meme"]

1960 's    ??

[/quote]

Meme... you're correct!

I believe it was lin the mid-70's while he was still attending Worcester Polytechnical Institute, which he incidentally did not finish.  I only fond ot very recentl (like today) that he's only two years older than I am AND that we grew up in the same town (Rockville Centre, NY) and went to the same high school.  (I knew of his family name, but I don't remember him.  His biography says that  he wasn't a very good stundent in high school.  Is there something wrong here?)  Here's an early model.  It was originally know as the Auto Syringe:

[quote user="meme"]

Oh,the picture is a hint---the segway he invented ?

[/quote]

Yes, he also invented the Segway.  He's got hundred's of patents registered in his name.  (Why can't he invent a real cure for Type 1?)

I Wish !  One day maybe that will be the quiz question.     Ok what is the next question ? I might just learn something,ha !

Compact portable syringe pump - $750 each

List: $7,300. MedCon: VG. Baxter model AS50 infusion pump.

Features:

• rechargeable internal battery.
  • IV pole clamp lock.
  • Setable does dosage rates.
  • dosage rates may be specified in MCG / kilogram / minute of patient's body weight
  • dosage rates may also be specified in ml / hour
  • programmable modes for manufacturer syringe type and size, for example B-D or M

Compact???  It weighed 10 pounds.  But $750 for a pump which originally cost $7300 is a great deal!

This one (below) was one of the first hand-held models.  $375... can't beat the price and they have 3 in stock.
That's what I want for Christmas.

Micro infusion pump - $375 each

List: 1,250. MedCon: G. Provider 5500 pancreatic infusion pump. Made by Abbott. Does not have batteries. Includes manual. Hand held unit, internal charging.

3 units in stock.

I fond them on eBay for $65 plus about $10 shipping.  If anyone is interested:

Provider 5500 on eBay