Dexcom and Tandem Link

This makes perfect sense, 987jaj! (sorry–don’t know your name!). This is new information to me, but it fits my experience precisely–more unexplained lows (and alarms waking me up out of a deep sleep) that aren’t actually lows. That rarely happens to me other than when waking up.
Thanks so much for your excellent explanation!
Todd

1 Like

Hi Stewart,
Your habit of doing a glucometer test when you aren’t sure the CGM is accurate is exactly what I do. The last thing I want to do is to give myself extra sugar when my blood sugar is normal!
As to your question about the pump, there are several benefits. Prior to the pump, I gave myself at least 3 injections a day, one of which included a long-acting insulin (ultralente). The ultralente helped keep levels relatively normal, but it wasn’t perfect. And of course I’d have to give myself extra injections if the blood sugar was higher than expected.
The pump gives me a standard basal rate (which can be adjusted depending on the time of the day), thus giving me a small amount of insulin 24 hours a day, irrespective of carbs consumed. That works better than the ultralente.
The second advantage is that I can give myself small amounts of insulin multiple times a day if I wish, without the need for injections. In theory, one can do that with injections, but it is less convenient. This is especially helpful if, for example, I have pizza (or something else where the carb effect is delayed). I might give myself only half the carbs prior to the meal and then the rest after eating the pizza, thus more closely regulating the amount of insulin to the actual glucose level. I can adjust further in small increments if needed, based on the CGM reading. For example, today I gave myself small amounts of insulin 10 times during the day. I highly doubt that I would have given myself 10 injections!
All of this means that my control is more precise (fewer time with high or low blood sugars) than with injections alone. A1C has been between 5.3 and 5.7 for the past 3+ years.
Hope this helps!
Todd

2 Likes

Todd,

Thank you for answering my question. I do appreciate it. I am very glad your treatment plan works for you.

2 Likes

Today I set up my Dexcom G6 for the second time ever, I was ok replacing the sensor and receiver, but the programs on my phone and pump were confusing me.

Hi @carolbwelch55 . Welcome to the forum and thanks for writing in. Congrats on getting started. Which app/s are you having trouble with? I use Tandem t:connect but Dexcom has ones called Clarity and Follow. If you let us know what you’re using and the issues you’re having we might be able to help you out.

Hello

I just want to update all of you. My tandem pump will be arriving on Monday. Thank you all for the valuable information you have given to me. Thank you Stewart

If you ever want to check the accuracy of your dexcom don’t trust your finger stick to give you that. It is just a ballpark estimate just like the dexcom

I stopped doing finger sticks all together unless my dexcom is saying one thing and I’m feeling another.

You can test it by bringing your finger stick meter to the lab the next time you get a blood draw.

As they are drawing out your blood, do a finger stick and also record your dexcom reading.

The lab results are the most accurate numbers you can get. For me my dexcom correlates to the lab much better than my finger stick meters.

It will give you peace of mind. When I get a bad dexcom sensor, I always know it’s bad early. They data loos funny or it shuts off.

My a1c is 5.5 and my time in range is usually 96% or better. It totally fixed my night time roller coaster.

I was running about 7% a1c and 75% in range on my Medtronic pump.

It’s not perfect but it’s the best thing I’ve ever used.
I’ve been at this for 34 years.

1 Like