Deeling with

the emotions with HIGHS. How do you go about it parents? Right now Riley is I think 317 and WOW I asked her to clean her room so I wont die coming to check her at 2 a.m. She is flipping out not normal for her a few months back. She might tell me no and pout but not flip out like I took all her stuff away or cry like I am beating her with a stick. Oi I realize it comes with the highs but at the same time I do not want her to think its ok for her to talk to me the way she does or be so disrespectful yet I want to give her the understanding that her emotions and reactions are driven by this high she is on. So how do I balance this?

dealing not deeling lol

I'm not a parent, but I have had a lot of experience with mood swings from high levels. My mom and brother have both gotten fed up with these moods (as have I). I don't believe in "telling" people what to do- so this is simply what I have found works for me. When I am moody, I tell my family that I need to be left alone (in a forced calm voice) and that I will reconnect with them when I am feeling better. It helps avoid a lot of conflict and they are now aware that leaving me alone for those moments is essential.Then, I go on a walk to calm myself down. Talk to your daughter about taking time to herself when she is angry to calm down on her own to avoid saying something disrespectful. She is young, and learning about how to handle her emotions will take time (as it does for everyone, whether she is dealing with high blood sugars or just a frustrating day). All you can do is help her find a non-destructive way to cope with these moods. (drawing, walking, lying down- whatever works for her) Its about identifying the mood and having a default activity to go to. Mine is walking. For me, when I realize that I am falling into a mood (usually because of high bs) I walk. It works. Coping strategies are different for everyone- the best you can do is help your daughter find hers.

One last thing: PLEASE don't tell her that her bad mood is because of her high/ low bs- it feeds the anger. haha.

I hope that helps.

lol I did tell her but I waited until she came down to explain it to her so she can recognize it as a symptom of her being high. 

Thanks, I will talk to her about that tomorrow. She is sleeping and I am about to do the same.

Thats what I do to. Normally if I'm high or just having a bad day, I go play my guitar or the piano for a while. Or I go ride my horses. That always helps me to just have some down time to myself. :)

Thats what I do to. Normally if I'm high or just having a bad day, I go play my guitar or the piano for a while. Or I go ride my horses. That always helps me to just have some down time to myself. :)

I hear you on the moods, I've gotten low and cried like a little b*tch more than once.   haha let the good times roll!!!!!!!!!

She isnt all that high right now and throwing a major fit about her hair. She told me to shave it all off. She is being well not nice to me lol because her hair wont go behind her ears. I told her how to get it to and she doesnt want to put the effort into getting it wet so I am getting the brunt of her frustration about her hair. Oi not fun. I told her to put it (her make up case with hair brushes in it) away and do something else before I take it away for the day.

i would imagine its so hard to decifer what mood is from low, what mood is from high, what mood is from feeling different or sad that you are T1, and which is just from being a kid.. I have always been so thankful to my mother for everything she went through when i was growing up.. I see she was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago.. the only thing i can offer is time will tell i think u will get used to her moods and keep open communication (which it sounds like u do) so she can talk to you about her feelings... for me personally when i was young my violent mood swings were from lows.. one time i flat out punched my mother in the face cause i didnt want to drink juice.. i was such a good nice shy kid too but i just got crazy when i was low.. when i was high i felt very lathargic, sick and thirsty.

It never goes away i still feel like that when im high and I still get a little bratty etc when im low... anyway you sound like a great parent!

Hey Jessica,

After dealing with the diabetes mood swings for more than ten years with our daughter, I think the best advice is to remember that it may be the diabetes devil that's coming out (not the normal child who would act totally differently). It's tricky business to teach respectful behavior during these times of "UN-control," but it's something you should definitely do.

So trying to argue or correct bad behavior during a low or high isn't very productive. In fact it sometimes lead to even more emotional pain on both sides. NAsty words get spoken Voices get raised. It's better to discuss the bad behavior rationally, after the high or low. And don't let it slide- nobody in the outside world is going to cut your daughter any slack for her diabetes, and you need to help her be aware of herself. Good luck!

~ Red

[quote user="Evamarie"]

i would imagine its so hard to decifer what mood is from low, what mood is from high, what mood is from feeling different or sad that you are T1, and which is just from being a kid.. I have always been so thankful to my mother for everything she went through when i was growing up.. I see she was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago.. the only thing i can offer is time will tell i think u will get used to her moods and keep open communication (which it sounds like u do) so she can talk to you about her feelings... for me personally when i was young my violent mood swings were from lows.. one time i flat out punched my mother in the face cause i didnt want to drink juice.. i was such a good nice shy kid too but i just got crazy when i was low.. when i was high i felt very lathargic, sick and thirsty.

It never goes away i still feel like that when im high and I still get a little bratty etc when im low... anyway you sound like a great parent!

[/quote]

That is how she was so shy and well behaved for the most part. She gets uhm strange with her lows. She starts to laugh uncontrollably at things that are not all that funny and that is at a normal low between 70 and 90. Below 70 she get shaky sleepy and well I could physically see her and tell she was low. Her highs oi the mad woman comes out and over things like juice.

[quote user="Red Maxwell"]

Hey Jessica,

After dealing with the diabetes mood swings for more than ten years with our daughter, I think the best advice is to remember that it may be the diabetes devil that's coming out (not the normal child who would act totally differently). It's tricky business to teach respectful behavior during these times of "UN-control," but it's something you should definitely do.

So trying to argue or correct bad behavior during a low or high isn't very productive. In fact it sometimes lead to even more emotional pain on both sides. NAsty words get spoken Voices get raised. It's better to discuss the bad behavior rationally, after the high or low. And don't let it slide- nobody in the outside world is going to cut your daughter any slack for her diabetes, and you need to help her be aware of herself. Good luck!

~ Red

[/quote]

Yeah I told her if she was out in the world and got like that and killed someone she would go to jail for it diabetes or not. Wrong is wrong and even tho the high is causing the mood swing she is in control of how she responds to it and deals with it. I told her when she finds herself getting mad at ridiculous things she needs to walk away cool off change activities until she has cooled off then come back to it and see if she is ready for it. I told her she could not treat me the way she has been its not fair to me when I am only trying to help her. She got a little upset cause I took her make up case away after she through it across the room. She said it wasnt fair I was punishing her because she has diabetes and was having a high. I told her i wasnt punishing her for that I was taking it away one to protect her stuff from her and two for not taking control of the way she reacted to those highs. She can be pissed but she cant act out.

I think having the boys who are autistic and have the same kind of mood swings caused by something they cant control is helping me see this more clearly. I am darn good at talking someone down.

I feel your pain :)....I have a 6yr old and she does the same thing. She will "flip out" and me being the sympothetic parent will let her get away with it, but then once she got what she wanted she was back to "her old self" so i had to learn when she was just "play on my emotions" the doctor warned me about that. He said the kids know that we are being very sympothetic to them so they WILL try to get away with things they know they would never have been able to get away with before. But i also know that sometime when my daughter is up in the 300's she will really "act out" and believe it or not for some reason water calms her down. That and a little bit of ignoring her works too.  Once they see that you are not giving them the attention they want then you can really tell if they are "playing on your emotions" or if the acting out is really from the high number. Best of Luck and just remember the best remedy is lots of hugs and kisses!!

ALSO-  the "bratty highs" you're experiencing can also happen as "ANGRY LOWS." There was a post I wrote about this subject on my diabetes blog for parents, which you can view by click here. But you've just inspired me to write another post about the "diabetes devil" for tomorrow's entry- you're not the only parent who's run into her!

I am sure I am not. She has only had one under 70 low but she didnt get angry or bratty for that one. She just looked sick and not right at all. I think I would rather just stick with that please lol I am riding a emotional roller coaster all day long with all 3 of them now. I think its the most draining even tho I am use to it already.

That word mentioned by Red in his blog--to reason.That word really speaks to me because it is so hard to even communicate at times like this.I have always tried to wait it out because I knew stress would only make things worse.The other thing is to talk about things once things are calm.My weakness-once things calmed down--I hated to stir the calm waters by bringing things up.It has to be done --darn it,ha !!

oi teen age brain tumor is something we are going through as well even tho she is only 9 puberty has started. I was going to ask about that as well. Before we knew about the D I just thought all of this was just growing up and I was scared. Now I do not think I am any less scared lol but kinda in a different way. If we get her numbers where they should be as much as we can it wont be as bad.