Dating and Diabetes

Becky,

It's what you feel most comfortable with but my perspective is that if they can't handle it on the first date, they're probably not for you in the long term anyway.  Sort of eliminates those who wouldn't work early vs after you've both put time and energy into the relationship.  With an insulin pump it's pretty obvious but I also feel it helps me gauge the guy on the whole.  Dating is tough - period but starting with honesty if the only way to have a good foundation.  I have a few "stories" tied to this topic - some funny and some sad but I really feel brutal honesty is the best choice!

Good luck - it's a tough world out there - I know first hand :)

I've been a diabetic since the age of ten, and while I had no problem dating way back then (been married 30 years). I was dating to find a mate for life.  I found that there was no need to tell the date about my diabetes unless we were well into dating and he looked like a "keeper".

Sorry, no, I didn't start dating at 10.

I agree that if they can't handle it on the first date then they probably aren't going to be able to handle things later on when you are sick or when your sugars are high or low. I am married, but when I date it comes up usually on the first date. It is a big part of my life whether I want it to be or not. It is a BIG thing to be in a relationship with a diabetic and to be patient with him/her.

I have been a type 1 since the age of 6 and I have always let my friends, peers, and when the time came, my dates know about my diabetes. I am now wearing a pump and because it sits in a visible placee it is easy for me to inform my date about it. I believe that being open about it is a good opening for a relationship. As others here have said, if they can't handle it to start with, how will they react when an emergency or complications start to happen.

LOL.. been there!

I was friends with my boyfriend before we started dating, so he already knew. At first he was pretty concerned about it (I think he was afraid I was could suddenly drop into a coma at any moment… lol). I kept telling him what to do in an emergency - I’ve had some pretty bad hypo reactions. His reaction was always, “Whatever you do, DON’T PASS OUT.” So of course a couple days after one said conversation I collapsed in the middle of the floor. I had to worry about though. He did a great job looking out for me. We joked about later. After that little incident, he’s a pro.

Oops… I had *nothing to worry about… was what I meant to say.

I usually bring it up pretty early on.  I don't ever feel the need to hide it.  If she (whoever she is) has a problem with it, oh well!  I've found that most of the girls I have dated aren't scared away by it.  I think that it helps satisfy the motherly instinct by giving the girl the idea that she has to look out for and take care of me.  I don't mind.  I don't dive into the details unless I plan on things getting serious.  I usually teach her at a slow pace and just give her the more important things to know up front. (i.e. what to do if I pass out)  Always reassure whomever you are dating that as long as you take care of yourself, you will be just as healthy as the next person. If not more healthy.

I don't date anymore so I don't have too do it!

Well, well!  Becky, be yourself.  This is part of you as it is for me for the last 43 years.  I am 53 now and single now.  If someone is that ignorant and they say things such as that…screw it.  Who needs them.  Their are wonderful men and women out there that are accepting and won't judge you.  Be confident and just let them know, this is me and I live with it and it's part of who I am.  if they are of a quality caliber they will not be ignorant.  I usually go out with someone a few times before I let them know.  First I see if I would want to date them!  LOL. At my age it isn't easy.  Their ate great guys out there that will accept you!!

Great response, Elana! I, also, have been a type 1 for 43 years and I am 49 and recently divorced. I let the person I am dating know right away. This is my preference. There are arguments for right away or waiting, but it is up to you to decide. I wear a pump and it is noticeable, so it comes up in converation. Like Elana said, there are many people that are good and won't hold the fact you are diabetic as a turn off. It is up to us to educate those that have preset notions about diabetes. Many people do not know that we are just like they are in most respects and sometimes even a bit healthier. Don't judge everyone else because of a few bad experiences. There are truly understanding and caring people that will want to date you, even with your diabetes.

Never really gave this topic much thought, but as always, fully enjoyed reading these posts on the subject. :-) I can henestly say that none of my previos relationships ever ended because of my diabetes. I several instances, my date knew someone else with diabetes. At times, the diabetes would become a conversation peice, and what better way to break the ice, then talking about something you know about. My wife's younger brother has type 1, so she already knew allot on the subject.

Is disclosing the fact that you are a survivor of Diabetes with a date,any different then informing ones employer? Fun subject! Has anyone here ever dated another type 1?

Becky, I let whomever I'm dating know right away.It is a major part of my life...some men have been rude and disrespectful about it (at least they were honest, but still), some have been caring, but I always take the first date to mention it, then by their reaction, I go from there!

Ditto!!  They alway find out right away anyways as I need to check my sugar or take insulin.  I used to try to hide it until I was more comfortable, but now.. it really is better to know right away if someone can handle this kind of issue in your life and theirs.. it also tells you what kind of person you are dealing with right off the bat!!