D-"friend" at school

so heres the deal.

i started high school this year and i am one of two diabetics freshman at my school (the other one i knew in eighth grade - she is newly diagnosed)

well anyway, she's in like the 'popular' crowd, and not that i'm against popular people, i just dont really like or fit in with the materialistic crud that goes on in my school, but here comes the problem

The health clerk told me that the other girl (emily is her name) had been having an attitude and being really rebellious with her diabetes. Now i feel like i should talk to her, but i have a feeling that that is not a good idea considering i don't know her all too well.

any suggestions?

start with some "small talk" while u r in the nurses office for checking and insulin and stuff then as u build a btr realtionship with her let her kno the conciquences of her actions and wat could happen if she doesnt try to fix it

[quote user="Molly"]

start with some "small talk" while u r in the nurses office for checking and insulin and stuff then as u build a btr realtionship with her let her kno the conciquences of her actions and wat could happen if she doesnt try to fix it

[/quote]

see, i would talk to her, but we are never in there at the same time. the only time i see her is like across the campus

You could always just start with a wave, and then casually bring it up when you're talking. But don't try to correct her on it or anything, I don't think she would recieve that very well? Maybe try just saying, 'you know what stinks...' and see if you guys hit it off? Maybe? :)

[quote user="Alyssa"]

You could always just start with a wave, and then casually bring it up when you're talking. But don't try to correct her on it or anything, I don't think she would recieve that very well? Maybe try just saying, 'you know what stinks...' and see if you guys hit it off? Maybe? :)

[/quote]

thank you guys soo much. youre all so helpful to me :]

the only thing i feel uncomfortable about is that she didn't even tell me about it herself, it was the health clerk, so i wouldnt exactly feel right barging in on her personal life if she didn't want me there in the first place, you know?

[quote user="Jenna McMane"]

the only thing i feel uncomfortable about is that she didn't even tell me about it herself, it was the health clerk, so i wouldnt exactly feel right barging in on her personal life if she didn't want me there in the first place, you know?

[/quote]

I'm sure she knows you're T1, just like you know she is. These things just become public knowledge...

I agree w/ Alyssa, I'd just start by generally bringing up D. I went to middle and high school w/ 2 different girls who also had T1. We rarely talked about it but all knew about it and discussed it a little when it came up...

Maybe you can tell her about Juvenation! (:

I will definitely try and talk to her, and i'll keep you guys updated on how things go.

and yes, hopefully if we do become closer friends, i will definitely tell her about juvenation!

And again, thank you to all of you guys for responding.

I call people who behave like this (only after they have had a long, long time to adjust) false ambassadors. I have a "friend" like that, too. She went around and "shared" that she had a problem with abusing sugar...whaaaat? I finally figured out that she just isn't very intelligent. She blurts out incorrect facts about type 1 on an incessant basis. It's very angering.

In terms of your friend, I would ask you this: is she someone who has proper resources, or do you have any indication that her family is not informed and unsupportive? Is she being overly controlled/given no guidance in turns?

If she is being rebellious, does this mean that she is refusing to do her insulin? Is she still in the honeymoon stage and thus a little less vulnerable to the consequences of her own decisions?

I have a brother who was diagnosed at 15 (I was diagnosed at 5). The doctor basically had to place him in a regular hospital under the auspices of treating DKA until he agreed to start taking the reins himself.

I don't think that you are under any obligation to reach out to her if you have any sense that she will abuse you in turn. I don't know about now, but back when I was in school, the "popular" kids were also, nine times out of ten, wretched people. A diagnosis of type 1 does not eradicate a flawed personality (if that is the case); it merely accompanies it.

I feel for this girl, however; it may very well be that she is entirely isolated, has to keep up an image (including the nigh unto anorexic image that women face now), and the insulin is probably a threat to her sense of appearance. Whatever you decide to do, I admire your heart and generous nature, clearly demonstrated by wanting to help a person who may not want or care to be helped.

Be happy. Happiness sells better than anything else for people who are lost, I think. And good luck.

Another thing? Watch out for that health clerk. She seems to have terrible issues with boundaries, gossiping like that.

Thank you so much for all of the advice

As for your questions, i wish i knew any of those answers but i don't, and that makes me feel that i should just leave her alone since i don't really know anything about her..

I don't think we should be judging too harshly though. I am a horrible diabetic and I know it. I'm trying to change but sometimes it's just hard. Also, I don't think you should blame the health clerk either. Two nurses at two separate places (one at school one at camp) have told me about another diabetic that was having some trouble. Most likely the nurse isn't a trained diabetes nurse and is frustrated with the situation and doesn't know how to help. I don't call that gossip, but rather being concerned. If/When you talk to her you don't have to bring it up that the nurse told you about it, see if she offers the information herself. If not then she doesn't want you in her business. If you start talking about it and she tells you how frustrated she is, then I'd say you've opened a door. But I don't think being mad at her for not succeeding at doing the job of a vital organ is a very legitimate reason. Or at least I hope not because then I'm screwed as well.

One of those days.

I also wouldn’t put too much stock in a clerk’s definition of being rebellious with her diabetes. By my daughter’s school’s definition (or some I’ve talked to there anyway), my daughter is less in control than others because she’s had lows that she needed help with twice this year. The “other” kid they knew with diabetes didn’t need any such help. I don’t know anything about the “other” kid, but my daughter has always had an A1c in the 6’s, tests every day, has only missed one day of school due to diabetes this year, and exercises and eats well (without cheating). But they define control as not needing help, which irritates the heck out of me because he might need less assistance because his bg always runs higher than hers. He could be in the 300’s all day every day. But because he doesn’t have to ask for help on occasion, he’s doing a better job of controlling it.