Cycling with CGM?

Next spring I plan on doing some races and I don't want to have to stop and check my glucose levels. I want to get a cgm so I don't have to juggle my meter, strips, and lancet during a race. Does anyone have any recommendations on which cgm they like or have any experience with checking on the fly?

Hey Jordan - I recommend the Dexcom. Once you figure it out, it is by far the most accurate (my opinion) and will alert you with vibrations. I used to cycle a LOT before CGM and empathize with your desire to get away from carting all of that stuff around. I've cycled a few times with my Dexcom and think it worked fantastically. The key is to put it in the back pocket on the same side as the sensor. I have all kinds of tips for CGM use in athletics. Many of the CGMs are intended for trending only - that way you can modify your pump settings etc. The Dexcom is FDA approved to alert you of hypoglycemia I believe.

Feel free tor ask me any questions about this subject.

I beleive that Team Type 1 uses the Navigator...  I know a few who ride JDRF's Ride to Cure Diabetes that are also Navigator users...  Here is a link to their site - http://www.teamtype1.org/

I started using a FreeStyle Navigator in Aug 2008. At first I assumed I would have to carry the receiver in one of my jersey pockets, and stop to pull the receiver out of the pocket so I could read it. (I was afraid I might drop the receiver if I pulled it out of my pocket while in motion.) Then I made contact with Team Type 1 and learned that they had figured out how to mount on the handlebar the hard plastic case that's attached to the belt clip. Now I can be riding down the street and by pushing one button I can wake up the receiver and see my current glucose level or see why it is alarming. I have been riding for 30 years and have been Type 1 for 66 years, so this is real progress for me.

Hey Guys,

I'm Ginger Vieira from www.diabeteens.com. I'm a personal trainer and yoga instructor, and it definitely took me a little while to learn how to maintain my blood sugars while being so active every day, but there is a way to do it. You shouldn't have to be going up and down all day just to be active with diabetes. Really what it takes, is patience and trying new approaches with glucose amounts and insulin dosage adjustments. It's hugely important because research has shown that we can't

I also wanted to leave you a link to an Interview with Team Type One. Those guys have figured their bodies out so they aren't crashing all the time.

INTERVIEW WITH TEAM TYPE ONE!

Ginger Vieira