Cross Fit

Hey Guys!
I was just wondering if there were any cross fitters on here :slight_smile: I’m sure you know that it can get pretty intense sometimes. Any tips for sugar control? Also I generally go at 5 am, and am having trouble figuring out what to eat and how to treat breakfast. Any ideas would be great!

I used to take pretty intense Brazilian jiu jitsu classes 4-5 times per week. The warm-ups/ new skill practice/ grappling would last 2 1/2-3 hours. I struggled with lows in the middle of class, so my doctor suggested that I eat a protein bar before working out. This seemed to help, but you have to be careful about the amount of carbs in the bar because it varies from bar to bar. These workouts were in the evening. I struggle with my blood sugar getting high after breakfast, so I tend to keep breakfast pretty low carb. Usually a frittata or even egg and bacon with salad. Hope these ideas help.

I used to go to Brazilian jiu jitsu. We had very intense 2-3 hour workouts 4-5 times per week. I struggled with lows during grappling, so my doctor suggested that I eat a protein bar before practice. This helped eliminate lows, but you have to be careful to find the right balance because every protein bar is different as far as carb counts are concerned. My workouts were in the evenings. I struggle with having high blood sugar readings after breakfast no matter what I eat. I usually eat a fritatta, or some other low carb breakfast. Hope this helps!

I usually eat 1 ZONE bar before a intense workout (20 minutes prior) and half of one before lower intensity workouts. Zone products have worked VERY consistently for me through college gymnastics and now cross fit as far as leveling blood sugars. Also my doctor suggested bananas a few years ago, if I’m hungry I do a peanut butter and banana sandwich. Works great.

EmilyLake - I have been a Crossfitter for almost two years. I have found that afternoon and evening classes are much better for my eating/medicine style than early am. When I do go to early am, I test before, take my Lantus and if I am at sub 100 number, eat a Fiber One bar to get the sugar and fiber going to cover me for the hour workout. Then when I get home, I test again just to see where I’m at.

I do know that when I am running low at Crossfit, I feel it. Sluggish, irritable, not performing the movements very well. As a result, I have spoken with the Box owner and now keep orange juice in their fridge (replace it every 6 months) and a couple of Fiber One bars on a shelf in their back room area. They are more than supportive of this approach.

Keep pushing/pulling it!

-Al