COVID vaccine and Type 1 diabetes

Hi friends!

I know that type 1 is an inflammatory auto-immune disease. With that being said, I was curious if any of you guys had gotten the vaccine and if any side-effects were experienced? If there were side effects, have they been short-term or long-term?

Thanks!

Hi @CRWilson . Here’s a link to another post with a similar question. Check yours and the other one for updates.

1 Like

Hi @CRWilson I’ve heard secondhand that it can range from nothing, to a sore arm, to a sore arm and mild symptoms like fever chills, to all of the above with elevated blood sugar.

Here’s the JDRF FAQ
https://www.jdrf.org/blog/2020/03/31/answering-your-questions-about-coronavirus-part-2-stress-kids-supply-chain/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20200407_COVID19BlogPostQnA_Email&utm_content=20200407_eml_covid19blog_mainblogurl_Standard&s_src=bsd_newsletter_email&s_subsrc=20200407_COVID19BlogPostQnA_Email_20200407_eml_covid19blog_mainblogurl_Standard%20Show%20less&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTkRBMU5UWmtabVJsT0RSaiIsInQiOiJXTzh2WVNubTAyRUVuRGRGMmU4QlpvNkR3b3hrTVhuaG9JeFJsOVwvUU9OVGg4bEJ1dERGTUtcL1FUSTY0THNFZnV1WGN0T3ZBZGRwU3h0SlFobG1CWG8yZGZsQ2c4RzNnNXlXSnF2VVwvTFFJdTlTWEtQZ1JDNG80dDFmNGRaRDl3QSJ9

Cheers and good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Christina @CRWilson , I have not yet received my vaccine.
But I have been in communication with a few other people living with diabetes, including some who have had diabetes for more than five decades, and the “reports” are that they didn’t experience anything more significant than what was felt from annual flu shots.

Based on that, and consultation with your doctor concerning anything in your medical history, you may be able to guess your outcome based on your reaction to your annual flu shot. Just be certain that on the day you get your vaccine, that you are feeling well, glucose well managed, and that you have NOT had any other immunizations for at least 90 days.

1 Like

Checked with my Endo & he recommended the vaccine. I am T1 & 78 years old.

2 Likes

Flu what🙂?..

2 Likes

I am 81 years old and T1 for 75 years. I had the first injection of the Moderna vaccine two weeks ago. I had a mild soreness in my arm for two days. No other side effects. My blood sugar was not affected.

4 Likes

In fairness, it’s probably too soon for my reply to mean much, but I’ll give it for the short-term information. I had the first dose of the ModerRNA (I thought I’d toss in the origin of their name, just for grins, in case folks haven’t seen it) vaccine 6 days ago. I had a mild soreness at the injection site the next day only, and no swelling. No other noticeable effects at all. I’ve certainly had worse with the flu vaccine on occasion. I’m 76, diagnosed T1D at 72.

1 Like

I, too, had the Moderna vaccine a couple of weeks ago without any issues. I’m 69 diagnosed with T1 at the age of 5.

1 Like

I got my first shot 1/21/21 and only experienced a sore arm for a day or two. Re blood sugar control, I have been a type 1 for 60 years and I didn’t notice any negative effects after the vaccine. I am scheduled for my second shot in a little over a week.

1 Like

Hello! I’ve had T1D for 35 years. I got Moderna 2nd shot (I work at a long term health care facility) last Thursday. I get all my vaccines and have never had adverse reactions to any.
First shot- I only had soreness to arm. #2 on Thursday…given 9:10am. By 4pm was feeling off. From that point on fever, chills, etc. Felt like worse case of flu ever. Sweated through clothing and apparently was yelling and moaning all night. Ha. At 9:15am next day symptoms stopped like a light switch turned off. Perfectly fine. Please note-MANY of my coworkers had similar side effects and do not have T1D. And of course-it was well worth the 24 hoyrs of hell.Also interesting -the Walgreens reps told us the young typically have a much more severe reaction to shot#2 because their immune systems just work better and respond more strongly than the older folks. And in closing my BS was somehow NOT a factor in the 24 hours of illness. In fact it was a straight line of 85 the entire time which was a shock to me (and better than my normal reads)! Best of luck to all. Every single T1D deserves to be vaccinated ASAP.(well that line is slogan material)

2 Likes

No T1D connection here, but my 76-yr-old mom got both shots (Pfizer) with zero side effects.

1 Like

This was very informative, thank you! I got my first dose of the Pfizer shot Friday after work and I’ve felt fine so far. My arm was bit sore yesterday but it feels normal today. I did notice my sugars have trended lower than usual since the vaccine so that’s interesting! I will post about my second dose once I get it March 2nd.

1 Like

Yay! Best wishes on #2. I think my sugars were lower as well. Hmm. Looking forward to your next post for an update. You got this.

1 Like

I received the first Pfizer vaccine as a part of my educator cohort here in Northern California. I have noticed pronounced elevated blood sugars for several days. It sounds as though TD1 people have marked variation in their reactions to this vaccine. Go Figure. Although it is always so hard to determine what the causes of these fluctuations are… hormones, environmental changes, etc…

Better off vaccinated!

1 Like

Hi there, I had the first vaccine shot (Pfizer) a week ago. I did not have any side effects, except soreness in the arm for a day or two. I’ve heard the side effects are typically worse after the second shot, (not just for T1Ds). Even if they are, its seems worth the risk.
Btw Initially I was ineligible as the CDC and my city only included Type 2’s on the list. Thanks in part to JDRF’s, efforts Type 1s were made eligible. Better late than never !

1 Like

Had dose 2 of moderna Feb 2. No side effects with dose 1, dose 2- very achy, chills, fever 101, headache. Started about 12 hours after injection, lasted a day, slightly “off” a bit 2 days out, then back to normal. BGs fine on tslim control iq. I am 45, type 1 for 38 years, vaccine access as healthcare worker. My parents (70’s) had similar experience with moderna dose 2. WELL WORTH IT! So grateful to be fully vaccinated now!

2 Likes

So I had my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects besides a sore arm for the first day. However, I did notice my body seemed more sensitive to my insulin for a couple days after yielding lower blood sugars. That’s it, otherwise!

2 Likes