Changing pump due to sports

My son has been having problems with his Medtronics pump/tubing when playing sports. He often has to take it off, which causes problems. I had been hearing good things about the OmniPod and have sent for the information and demo kit.

Has anyone switched due to sports? I would like to hear your experiences:)

I was never on another pump, such as Medtronic or animas, but my dad is! I went straight to the OmniPod thinking the same as you that it would be much easier with sports and such, and I absolutely love it and cannot imagine being on another pump! The only thing I have noticed with sports is that sweating a lot can sometimes loosen the adhesive, but that has rarely happened! Other than that I don't really have a single bad thing to say about it! It's great for sports and I would definitely recommend it to your son! :o) Good luck to you all with this process!

The Omni Pod seems to be the way to go for people who engage in sports regularly. A lot of diabetic professional athletes use it as well. I use the Animas One Touch Ping with no issues whatsoever. Depending on the sport I can take the pump off while still being able to control myself. But everyone is different. For golf for example I’ll do the same as him by keeping it on. I’ve heard great things about he Omni Pod. Enjoy it and use it well!!

Thank you for your responses:)

He tried out the demo and LOVES IT! It's like Christmas waiting for the real thing to come now...

Every time he has a baseball game now, he points out how nice it would be to not have a tube running from the pump in his pocket through a hole in his shirt (requested by him, but cut by mom so that it wouldn't ruin his jersey) to his injection site.

I have to admit, the tube definitely gets in the way and draws concern by umpires when he's catching the entire 7 innings. He wants to be "normal" and I hope the OmniPod will give him a little more of that.

We can't wait....

Thank you for your responses:)

He tried out the demo and LOVES IT! It's like Christmas waiting for the real thing to come now...

Every time he has a baseball game now, he points out how nice it would be to not have a tube running from the pump in his pocket through a hole in his shirt (requested by him, but cut by mom so that it wouldn't ruin his jersey) to his injection site.

I have to admit, the tube definitely gets in the way and draws concern by umpires when he's catching the entire 7 innings. He wants to be "normal" and I hope the OmniPod will give him a little more of that.

We can't wait....

Glad to hear he likes it! One day I want to definitely give it a shot. Keep us updated on how he performs with it! Really cool to incorporate different sports (contact, no-contact, aerobic, anaerobic, and so forth...). Keep the posts and questions coming!

It's been one week since starting the OmniPod. Reflecting over the last week, 2 things have stuck out in my mind and I hope will continue: 1) Riley's attitude is more positive and he has turned into a joker. He likes to play jokes on me constantly. (it's annoying but it's a change that I welcome!) 2) His BG has been in range or low more often than before the OmniPod. Fortunately, not too low, just below his target which he seems to be very happy about! He is excited to see his A1C go even lower.

It's been one week since starting the OmniPod. Reflecting over the last week, 2 things have stuck out in my mind and I hope will continue: 1) Riley's attitude is more positive and he has turned into a joker. He likes to play jokes on me constantly. (it's annoying but it's a change that I welcome!) 2) His BG has been in range or low more often than before the OmniPod. Fortunately, not too low, just below his target which he seems to be very happy about! He is excited to see his A1C go even lower.

We have Laura's OmniPod training tomorrow, can't wait!  Any advice?  Did you keep his old setting?

We also have our training tomorrow, how cool is that? We couldn't wait to use it tho, so we used the same settings as his Medtronics pump. It worked well. I have some questions for the rep and endo, but we transitioned smoothly so far. I read a lot of reviews and posts about trouble with the transition and were prepared. So far, no trouble! Yeah :)

He does use the same site locations that he used with his old pump. The pod sits in a downward position on the side of his abdomen, sometimes on his back. He has never liked it on his stomach due to baseball (he's a full time catcher and has to do a lot of bending, squatting, etc).

Love, Love, Love it!!! Hope you do too! Let me know if you have any issues.

We also have our training tomorrow, how cool is that? We couldn't wait to use it tho, so we used the same settings as his Medtronics pump. It worked well. I have some questions for the rep and endo, but we transitioned smoothly so far. I read a lot of reviews and posts about trouble with the transition and were prepared. So far, no trouble! Yeah :)

He does use the same site locations that he used with his old pump. The pod sits in a downward position on the side of his abdomen, sometimes on his back. He has never liked it on his stomach due to baseball (he's a full time catcher and has to do a lot of bending, squatting, etc).

Love, Love, Love it!!! Hope you do too! Let me know if you have any issues.