Athletics and the pump

Forgive me if this is a silly question ...I haven't really researched the pump yet as my son is still in the honeymoon phase. He is a very active kid - primarily downhill ski racing  5 days a week in season  ( picture those skin tight aerodynamic  suits)  and soccer ( 3 x week in the winter and 5-7 x a week the rest of the year.  His ski races are all day events as are many of the soccer tournaments SO would the pump even work for him?  How do you athletes on the pump deal with it?  

I actually thought sports were less stressful and worrisome after I went on the pump. Although I had some time to figure out the proper insulin rates for my activity level (went on the pump in March, didn't start field hockey until late summer and skiing until January), I experienced fewer lows, which was a big plus.  I imagine skiing may be a bit of challenge with a tight suit, but I'm sure there's some way around it. Basically, it took a little bit of trial and error, but overall I was much happier and healthier playing sports on the pump.

I agree that the pump made participating in sport/activities much easier for me.  It was better to be able to adjust insulin on the fly - rather than have to make sure I shorted the Lantus the night before...and then if I ended up not playing...ugh, it was so hard to predict.  They have holsters and such for keeping the pump in, so it doesn't get knocked around.  Sometimes, I just disconnect for a little bit.  Like when I swim laps, I'll disconnect and leave my pump in the locker room.  When I'm finished with my workout, I'll test and then bolus insulin if I need to.  I'd recommend talking to your son's endo and seeing what advice he/she has.

[quote user="kcbscrapper"]

Forgive me if this is a silly question ...I haven't really researched the pump yet as my son is still in the honeymoon phase. He is a very active kid - primarily downhill ski racing  5 days a week in season  ( picture those skin tight aerodynamic  suits)  and soccer ( 3 x week in the winter and 5-7 x a week the rest of the year.  His ski races are all day events as are many of the soccer tournaments SO would the pump even work for him?  How do you athletes on the pump deal with it?  

[/quote]

Is your son a skinny guy? I've found that because I'm skinny it's a little more difficult to do contact sports (soccer, football, hockey) and when you sweat a lot during them your site tends to fall off (not just a skinny person's problem). 

I have found the pump very wonderful but honestly at times it can be a hassle.  It all comes down to pros and cons and for the pros out weigh the cons.

I would definitely say the pump will provide an advantage for your son, considering how active he is, as long as you know how to use it properly. 'The diabetic athelete's handbook' is a must - it goes over almost every sport and appropriate changes to make to keep blood sugars under control while using a pump (as well is MDI) 

Dylan  

I completely agree that "The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" by Sheri Colberg has been a crucial tool in helping me figure out what I need to do for various activities.  If you don't have a copy, I highly recommend getting one to keep as a reference. I refer to it all the time.

I had never even heard of this book!  I am ordering it on Amazon tonight.  :)  Thank you!

Thanks for the book info.!!!!

Kim

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

Is your son a skinny guy? I've found that because I'm skinny it's a little more difficult to do contact sports (soccer, football, hockey) and when you sweat a lot during them your site tends to fall off (not just a skinny person's problem). 

I have found the pump very wonderful but honestly at times it can be a hassle.  It all comes down to pros and cons and for the pros out weigh the cons.

[/quote]

Yes actually -- He is only 74 pounds and in the 7th grade.  Just 60 pounds about 2 months ago, but the constant eating has subsided a bit.

Thanks for the information on the book - I will certainly have to get that one.   

Right now he is thinking that the pump is not something he is interested in because he doesn't like it being attatched all the time.   He does his own injections and seems to be handling it well for now.  SO guess I will wait until he shows interest in getting one.

A lot of people are worried that wearing the pump during a sport, particularly a contact sport might be troublesome, but the nice thing is that you can take it off during sports, and still keep your blood sugar in a normal range.

I take my pump off when swimming (medtronic), though I didn't have one when I was on the high school team, was still on shots and ingested a lot of juice boxes and frosting at the end of the lanes inbetween sets.  Through college I skateboarded (very poorly) and briefly boxed, and would take it off for that so I didn't land on it and break it.  Usually my sugars ran low during activites, but later on may have issues with them going higher, then lower again much later (like overnight).   I am looking into the Omnipod right now, seems like a lot of athletes use that one and are happy with it.  For me the idea of a much less expensive piece machinery would take a lot of stress off.  Plus it is fully waterproof, and I'd bet you could put it under the skin-tight ski suit and it is remote controlled. 

I am hoping insurance will cover the omnipod for me- since I am outdoors alot and tend to knock stuff around. I have had my expensive pump be a stressor if I am worried about breaking it in activities I am doing.   My medtronic one is getting stress fractures in it (this is my second of this model, the one before got the same fractures 2 years in)-, but I am pretty active and rough on equipment, so again cheaper gear= better and less stress.  I personally am hoping to utilize the back of the arm for a site with the Omnipod, that way I can use those foamy bandages to wrap it and secure it better when I am out running around.  Also I do like the option of turning the pump off when my blood sugar is really dipping.  Recently I got a CGM and it has been awesome!  I love being able to have a ballpark idea of where my blood sugar is all the time and what direction it is heading.  I have been able to stave off some more significant highs, and lows, though I am still learning that part. 

Also I had wanted to comment that someone had mentioned the body depleting potassium recouperating from lows, and this comment has helped me so much!  This past week I started on Apidra and have been having more lows than before (plus side is less highs!), and my muscles were super sore.  I at first had accredited it to being out of shape and just from working out more, but it didn't seem quite right since I am basically doing the same workouts.  Anyway, I read that on this forum, and ate some bananas when I got low, and coconut water at other times, and the soreness was gone!  So thanks for the insight!

I think the pump actually helps me and my sports.  You just have to be careful about the site and where he puts it.  Sometimes too much pressure can cause a little bit of bleeding and make it hurt a little more but usually its not a problem.

I love my pump. It really makes things easier. Here is an interesting article I stumbled upon. There is a cross country skier, in the olympics who is a person with type one diabetes.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2010/01/29/6543/kris-freeman-skis-for-gold-at-the-vancouver-olympics-/

He uses an omnipod pump. Obviously being a cross country skier he wears the tight suits.

http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/crosscountry/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=4932593

The second article talks about his one race with an unexpected low. However, he might be someone to look into further.

If you were to look at either the medtronic and animas pump there are options to keep the pump close to the body, either with accessories or getting compression shorts with pockets to keep under the normal shorts. Or just take the pump off.

Best of luck.