CGM Sesor Problems - Irritation/Bleeding

Hello. I have an 11 year old T1D son. He was diagnosed in Feb this year (2015). We got the Dexcom CGM in May. We had no issues with the sensors until now. The last 2 I put in, he started bleeding as soon as it went in so we took them out. We tried one in stomach and one in arm. The 1 prior to that hurt after about 15 minutes so we took it out. That was in his arm. The 2 prior to that left a major rash/irritation on his skin. Those were on his stomach. At first, I thought it was the Skin Tac I used on the adhesive. But, I did it again without the Skin Tac and it still left the rash/irritation and it itched and hurt him after a few days. It didn’t appear to be infected – just irritated. Now, I’ve wasted 3 sensors in the last week trying to get a new one in. We used to just use his stomach and rotate them because that’s where he likes it best. But we started trying his arm too, to see if that would work. We have issues there too! I’ve read about using skin barriers under the adhesive and have the supplies to do that and tried that twice, but it fell off 1st try and then the sensor just started hurting the 2nd try. We see his doctor this week, so I will ask them, but I wanted to see if any of you had any of the same issues. My husband and I cannot sleep without the reassurance of the CGM and we are back to checking him all night long.

I use the Medtronic Enlite sensor, not Dexcom so I have no direct experience. However, the posts I read from people who do use Dexcom usually rave about how great their help line support can be.

If you haven’t already contacted them about this you should do so if for no other reason than because they will probably replace the three sensors you were unable to insert. Again, this is one of the things people frequently mention in their posts and no doubt one of the primary reasons the impression of the company is so favorable.

But they may also be able to help you find a better insertion spot.

At first, I thought it was the Skin Tac I used on the adhesive. But, I did it again without the Skin Tac and it still left the rash/irritation and it itched and hurt him after a few days.

I would not expect Skin Tac to cause the irritation since one of the functions Skin Tac and the other adhesives similar to it supposedly provides is a barrier to skin irritation or allergy. Although Dexcom does not endorse it (I think), some people apply a protective tape such as Tegaderm or IV3000 first and then insert the sensor on top of that.

I have noticed I am much more sensitive to skin irritation on my stomach than other parts of my body. It is one of the frustrating aspects of CGMs that the manufacturers only seem to “approve” insertion in parts of the body which can be problematic for people. Of course, I believe they are also limited by only being allowed by the FDA to recommend areas which have been used as part of a clinical trial.

Have you considered trying inserting on the sides (the “love handle” area, lower back or buttocks?

Does your son have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks for the response. My son is very picky about where to put the sensor, so getting him to move it from his stomach to his arm was an undertaking. I will give Dexcom a call. I didn’t really think it was the Skin Tac either because we’ve used it all summer long without any issues. I just find it weird that all of a sudden this is happening. I’ll give them a call and see what they say. Hopefully they will replace our sensors, too! :slight_smile: Thanks again!

I called Dexcom. They are sending me 4 new sensors to replace those I wasted. :smiley::+1:t2:

I called Dexcom. They are sending me 4 new sensors to replace those I wasted.

Glad to hear it. Do you feel you got any possibly useful advice from Dexcom about inserting? That’s a harder topic for the CGM companies to assist with. Mostly, I think, because they are restricted in ways I don’t actually understand in what they can suggest.

One way you might give them a possible “out” is if your doctor has suggested a particular insertion spot which is otherwise not “approved”. The customer reps are only supposed to suggest insertion sites which Dexcom used during their clinical trials. However, if your doctor suggests another location then it can possibly (???) be considered as an “off-label use”.

The term “off-label” usually calls to mind using a drug for a different purpose than the one it was originally developed & tested for. But it can also be used in the context of medical devices such as CGMs. If a Dexcom rep is aware that you are using CGM in a way which is endorsed & supervised by an MD, then the rules are potentially different.

As a somewhat unrelated example, I use Medtronic’s Enlite sensor with their Paradigm Revel pump. Initially Medtronic refused to replace a faulty sensor for me because this combination is an “off label” use. The Enlite is only “indicated” for use with their 530G (aka Veo) or 640G pumps. But after I sent Medtronic a prescription for Enlites from my MD, they were completely fine with replacing my sensors.

How the system can work is not always intuitively obvious.

I have found that I need to use a skin barrier spray or wipe before using the Skin Tac or I will get an weepy red rash. Two barrier products that I use are Sensi Care spray, and Brava Wipes. Hope that helps.

I have found that I need to use a skin barrier spray or wipe before using the Skin Tac or I will get an weepy red rash. Two barrier products that I use are Sensi Care spray, and Brava Wipes. Hope that helps.

Yes, I first talked directly to our sales rep for Dexcom. She suggested skin barriers which we already started to use (but then had the bleeding issues). She also sent me some samples of others I didn’t purchase. when calling Dexcom then, I had to give very detailed information on what the issues were, where they were, what caused them, what we did to treat them, etc. they also asked what our doctor suggested since I mention that we went to the doctor that day. She did not suggest anything but she was just there to basically take my information and get me my new sensors. I’m just happy they replaced them and am praying the skin barriers work! I was told by our sales rep that Dexcom will replace any sensor that does not last the 5-7 days.

I use a Dexcom sensor & I have found that sometimes I have issues on areas that really don’t have enough “fat” to really insert the sensor. If your son is really thin, I would suggest trying to upper buttocks like @zjohnnyr recommended. That’s where I like to wear mine. I wear mine right below the waist line of my pants & I really like it there because it is out of the way, I have enough fat to pinch & i don’t tend to run it into a wall, or knock it off. I also use SkinTac & I also use TacAway (the counterpart to SkinTac to remove it without too much stickiness or pain). I hope this helps!!