Questions for those with Dexcom G6

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a Type 1 Diabetic since 1997, and I’ve never used a permanent CGM system (I’ve only tried them for 1-2 weeks at a time, roughly 4 times in total).

I am very interested in getting the Dexcom G6. If you have one and are using it:

1. Where do you typically apply the sensor?

2. How noticeable (to you) is the sensor? Do you always feel it on you?

3. Do the spots where you put the sensor every get irritated?

4. How good is the adhesive? I don’t swim but I like to run about 3-4 times a week.

5. Any major cons that you don’t like?

Thank you!

I’ve been using the G6 for 3 months. It’s great enough that I’m paying the cash price. I wear it on my abdomen, though many wear on back of arm. I extend mine using the Spike app, usually around 20 days with no irritation. I find it very unnoticeable. Much more comfortable and accurate than the Medtronic sensors and transmitters. I use Skin Grip adhesive overlays to make sure they don’t come off, usually replacing that about every 7 days.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Just two additional questions:

1. So you use the Spike App as opposed to the Dexcom one? Any particular reason?

2. Does the sensor being on you affect you sleep at all? (like if you sleep on your side or stomach?)

Hello,

We use G6 on my son who is 12. I was reading your post and wanted store know what is the Sppike up?? Does it make the sensor last longer?
Thanks!

1. I wear the sensor on my abdomen.
  2. I honestly don’t notice the sensor most of the time. The g6 is super small and not painful.
  3. I’ve never noticed a problem with irritation.
  4. Pro tip–Use SkinTac (you can order on amazon). Seriously a life-saver. I also use patches from A Silly Patch if the adhesive isn’t working.
  5. I seriously love the g6. For most of my life I’ve been super resistant to getting a CGM because I’ve never liked the idea of wearing something all the time–but I got it a year ago (started with the g5) and it’s a game-changer. It allows me to have more confidence in my insulin doses and it’s saved me several times when I’ve gone low. I highly recommend it.
3 Likes

Thanks Abby! For SkinTac, how do you use it exactly? Do you prefer that over A Silly Patch?

The Spike app is experimental and at own risk. It is not available on the App Store. Also, you cannot use it together with the Dexcom app. If you want to request the Spike app, go to https://spike-app.com/. If you want to try extending the sensors while continuing to use the Dexcom app, join the Facebook group “Looped.” Also read Restarting G6 sensors and transmitter – See My CGM

I use Spike because it lets me use sensors and transmitters as long as they are working, vs. when Dexcom turns them off. That’s important for me because of cost. 3 sensors cash price is a few cents under $400, US. 1 transmitter is about $280. One caveat, I find the Spike algorithm is not quite as good as Dexcom, so that can affect sensor accuracy a little. Also, I am running Loop, a DIY artificial pancreas, and it is integrated with the Spike app, as well as the Dexcom.
Regarding sleep, there is no impact for me. Loop + G6 manages nighttime sugar so well that I sleep much better. If you lie heavily on the transmitter, no matter where it is, you might find the Bluetooth signal will get blocked. That will result in some sort of CGM failure alarm, depending on which app you’re using.

1 Like

Hi Brian. My 11 year old daughter used G6. We move it all over. Her favorite place in her outer thigh. Very inconspicuous and out of the way there, she doesn’t tend to bump it as much. It doesn’t bother her while sleeping. We do see very occasional compression lows if she happens to sleep directly on it, and outer thigh is a good place where we very rarely get those for her. She also likes it on the back of her arm. G6 has a very low profile. She doesn’t get any irritation, and we do have to put patches on around day 7 quite frequently. We use Sugarmate with the the Dexcom app. It’s not a replacement, but gives us a bunch of additional metrics that are very useful. Plus, I can see her number on my Apple Watch face with Sugarmate. Honestly, not sure what we would do without it, and not sure who like it more, her or mom and dad. She finger sticks about once a week and history has shown us that it’s accurate enough to dose by without the finger sticks.

2 Likes

I use the SkinTac wipes, so you use them the same way you would use an alcohol swab–just rub on the skin where the adhesive goes. I’ve never worn Dex without SkinTac so I honestly don’t know how well the normal adhesive works. The patches are a sort of backup in case it doesn’t look like the sensor will survive the 10 days (especially during the tennis season). Some people do wear them all the time but I’ve never felt a need to, especially because they’re a bit bigger.

1 Like

Thank you Abby! This information is helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Ryan! Very helpful.

Hi Abby - one more question - sorry if it’s a dumb one. Do you use both an alcohol swab (first) and then SkinTac? Or only SkinTac? Thank you!

Not a dumb question at all! Yes, I use both an alcohol swab and SkinTac. I first apply alcohol to the area, then put a circle of SkinTac where the adhesive will be applied, leaving a small hole in the middle so the sensor wire doesn’t get contaminated. I think in the Dexcom tutorial video they review how to apply the SkinTac as well. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi All, I’m about to start using the Dexcom with my 4yo son. He has been sensitive to removing adhesives before. Any tips on removal without damaging his skin? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone

I’ve been using Dexcom G6 for 4 months now and haven’t looked back. I’ve been diabetic for nearly 40 years and so when I started wrestling with this beast, home monitoring consisted of urine tests only, so it was sugar or no sugar!

I now can’t think how I managed with just finger prick blood tests. I find the arrows info very reassuring and since November I haven’t had a single extreme hypo, it never goes as far as disorientation, profuse sweating and eating everything in sight because I can now do something about the approaching hypo in a controlled way ie my 12g of carbs. I don’t now get the horrible swing the other way after a hypo and having to deal with that too followed by the tiredness which ensues. My Hba1C has gone from 8 to 6.4, so I’m very pleased.

I swim and hike and haven’t had a problem. When I’m swimming I keep my phone receiver in a see-through waterproof bag by the side of the pool for checking sugars while I’m doing my lengths. I don’t get any skin irritation with the sensor patch and I use a patch over the top to secure it.

The only negative side to it that I experience is that I look at my phone too frequently which I’m always admonishing my teenage sons about! I would also say that the frequent sugar readings make it difficult to forget being type 1, it’s always there and I can feel anxious when I’m getting it wrong. However my type 1 is not going away and anxiety about sugar levels was there before CGM anyway. CGM does make me a little bit obsessed with my levels but I feel better and I wouldn’t be without it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Lorna. I plan on getting an Apple Watch once I get my G6, because I saw that you can have your numbers displayed on the watch, which in turn will prevent me from looking at my phone all of the time. If it’s in the budget you could think of getting one too. Although your sons might want one too =)

Thanks Brian, yes I think that might be my next step and my sons won’t be justified in requesting one - mine will be a medical necessity!

I highly recommend UniSolve. It dissolves the adhesive easily and also helps with the annoying residue.

1 Like

Also, if you would find you need additional help getting your G6 to stay on, you can contact Dexcom. They will send you free, clear overlays to put over the tape of the sensor but leaves your transmitter exposed. It has made it so none of mine ever come off and are free! I love my Dexcom.

2 Likes