Can we change the name of this Group to Athletes with Diabetes

Sorry to be sensitive about this but my daughter is an amazing squash player who happens to have diabetes.  I have never considered her to be a diabetic athlete.

Roger, I am very much in agreement with you on this one!!!  Although I am not so much of an athlete, I also do not consider myself as "a diabetic"!  I am a person with diabetes, the same as I am a person with short legs, a person with brown hair, a person with some excess weight, etc...  Thank-you for bringing up the point!

Thank you for pointing this out to us on the Juvenation moderator team.  I've taken the liberty of changing the name as requested (along with changing the Diabetic Artists group).  

I'm cool with whatever works best for everyone else as neither bothers me.  But I must say it did throw me off a bit when I was looking for the group tonight. LOL.

[quote user="Jason"]

I'm cool with whatever works best for everyone else as neither bothers me.  But I must say it did throw me off a bit when I was looking for the group tonight. LOL.

[/quote]

What he said ^

Fact is that it's 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other.

I'm a diabetic athlete or an athlete with diabetes...means the same thing to me. Dunno why people are so sensitive to nomenclature.

[quote user="Jason"]But I must say it did throw me off a bit when I was looking for the group tonight. LOL.[/quote]

Sorry about that, Jason and others.  I wasn't thinking ahead.   This is one of those things that really does bother some people, and we want Juvenation to be inclusive, and not exclude anyone.  I've not found anyone who thought "<x> with diabetes" was insulting, whereas I have heard many complain that "diabetic <x>" is.  

I do apologize for not putting up a notification to the group before I changed the name.  I should have (and I'm sure Gina woud have! ;-) 

Live and learn.  Thanks to you all for contributing to this area of Juvenation.  Keeping the content lively is what it's all about.