Mother of 13 year old diagnosed July of 2011

After trying to cope with my son's diagnosis as best as i can these past couple of months on my own i have to say i just cant do it anymore without some help from others who are handling it too.  I also think my son is in serious need of a support group to talk about his anger toward having T1D.  His numbers have been great lately which really is making a difference in his school grades.  He has had to take on so much since his summer diagnosis and really has been a trooper.  Along with the problems puberty brings we have this to deal with.  I wanted to know about the camp as well.  Does it cost anything to send my son to this?  Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi, We are also new to diabetes.  My 10-year old son was diagnosed in September.  You may message me anytime....

I can't imagine doing this without the support and input from others who are going through it too.  

Have you contacted your local JDRF office?  Our local JDRF chapter hooked me up with a mentor who met with me one morning to talk, and I have sought out other moms with children my son's age (he is 10, was diagnosed in November) through that office as well.  We are hopefully going to get the kids together soon.

While I can talk to these adults, I agree with you and think that the kids really need other kids to talk to as well, kids going through the same thing.  My son reached out to a couple of kids on the penpal site on JDRF also, I think one responded.  I think they have only emailed about sports and pokemon, but its a start!

Feel free to message me as well.  

A diabetes diagnosis is tough at any age, but it's especially hard for teenagers.  Most teenagers rebel and diabetic teenagers often rebel by ignoring their diabetes.  At that age I rarely tested, skipped shots, and basically ignored my disease.  But at some point grew out of it and am now a middle aged mom myself.

Camp is a great idea.  Frankly, as a diabetic kid I didn't want to go to support groups or JDRF stuff (except for the ski trips), but I loved camp and went until I was about 14.  You do have to pay to go to camp.  Check with the camp in your area and your doctor's office about camp scholarships.

Your kids might also benefit from online communities like this.  Gives them a chance to vent and learn from other teens going through the same thing.  There are also a lot of diabetic teens and athletes on YouTube.  Might help your kid to see others dealing with D.

Not sure if these books will help, but they're out there.

www.amazon.com/s

Take care and know that even though this is a tough time, you and your child will survive.  At some point, you kid will figure out how to deal with diabetes and make it fit into his/her life.    -Jenna

My daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago...she is now 14.  She still struggles, rebels and ignores her diabetes, but some days, I see her coming to terms with it and I know she is trying.  jennagrant gives me hope that she will accept it one day and grow up to be a wonderful women.  In the mean time, we are still learning.  

She has gone to camp for the last 2 years and loved it!  Made some good friends whom she stays in touch with through facebook and texts.  Planning on going to a camp in Colorado this summer that allows 14 and older.  The camp here in New Mexico only allows up to 13.

She is also attending a support group, which just started recently through our doctors office, but I can already see that she likes it.

JDRF has not supplied much support for me, but reading some posts on Juvenation and making contacts has let me know that we are not alone.

Im so glad i found this site.  We have been living with this since july of last year.  It totally sux but it actually is getting easier to deal with over time.  I was a total basket case in the beginning.  Blaming myself, blaming my husband.  Blaming everyone. haha.  And i dont know about your kid but mine is in the middle of puberty...attitudes...arguments...etc.  Getting him to check his sugar and take insulin was a task in a half.  Sneaking snacks behind my back was a big issue too.  Hasn't happened recently but im sure it will again.  His insulin was recently raised (we are still on a sliding scale) and his numbers are as close to normal than they have ever been.  For now. 

I tried contacting my local JDRF but the lady who answered the phone sounded just as confused as I.  I told her to give my number to anyone who felt like helping me today.  I am really interested in sending my son to camp.  I do feel like it would be good for him to be around others with diabetes.  He is kind of a loner in the friends department since his diagnosis.  Keeps to himself a lot.  Plays his guitar to escape from reality.  He has a 10 year old brother whom he adores so at least he has someone to play with.  I just would like to broaden his horizons.  He tells me he is adjusted to this but deep down i know its not true.  He will still on occasion ask me if he is gonna have this disease forever and what he can do in life now that he has T1D.  Being as supportive as i can be i tell him he can do anything with his life any one else can aside from joining the military (which he was a little disappointed in since his dad is military).

I appreciate all the responses I've been getting.  Thank you so much for letting me vent here.

Has your doctor talked with you about carb counting and your son's carb factor and correction factor?  There's no reason he should have to eat a restricted diet.

A couple books that are must haves for you:

- Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner

- Using Insulin by John Walsh

- The Calorie King Guide to Calories, Fat and Carbohydrates (same info is also available on Calorie King website and app)

Nick Jonas and Crystal Bowersox are both musicians with type 1.  They both do a good job of not sugar-coating (no pun intended) what it's like living with D.

forecast.diabetes.org/.../nick-jonas-raising-pop-star-diabetes

forecast.diabetes.org/.../an-interview-with-crystal-bowersox

Joining the military is the only thing your son won't be able to do with diabetes.  I've traveled extensively and was an avid backpacker and a camp counselor in CO and WA in my younger days.

Don't think there's anything you can do to give your son peace with his diabetes.  It will happen in time.  We all have different personalities and deal with the stress of it in different ways.  For me it didn't happen until I was about 25.  While I don't love being diabetic, I do see it as an important part of who I am that has shaped my life.  It hasn't ruined my life.