Bleeding while inserting Guardian sensor 670G

My daughter was previously using the Dexcom and rarely had bleeding issues during sensor insertion. Now with the 670G Guardian sensor, it bleeds more than half of the times we attempt insertions. For the sensors that we haven’t been able to use, Medtronic has been great about replacing them. But it’s frustrating to put in multiple sensors every time, and it’s a hassle to call Medtronic every week to get replacements. We’ve had the bleeding issue with abdomen and arms. Have others had the same issue? Any suggestions to try and prevent this from happening? We have even had our Medtronic trainer come out and help/watch us do it, and she said that we were doing everything right.

1 Like

Is the bleeding causing inaccurate readings? Mine bleed every few times but the readings are still accurate.

Usually it’s enough blood that we take it out and put in a new sensor. This past time it didn’t look as bad, so we just kept it in. So far it seems pretty accurate.

Try not pressing down on the inserter. Just holding it gently on the skin. Pressing too hard will cause bleeding.

2 Likes

I’ll suggest that to my daughter. Thanks!

I do not know if this will work for your 670G sensor, but I use a 630G sensor and I have had bleeding several times. This is what I do. I first put on an IV3000, then put the sensor on over and thru the IV3000. Since doing that I have not had a bleeding issue. Bleeding however, is not the reason I starting putting the IV3000 on first. I was sensitive to the adhesive strips Medtronic sends with the 630G sensors. The IV3000 has solved both problems for me, at lease so far.

That’s interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m assuming that doing that way hasn’t negatively affected the sensor accuracy?

No. It hasn’t. In fact I believe it is more accurate. Maybe that is because there hasn’t been any bleeding. Keep working with it you will find what work best for you.

I have this is issue often. Like you said, I call Medtronic and get replacements too. Only if the blood bleeds through the backing will I replace it, otherwise a little blood in the sensor tip doesn’t seem to harm the accuracy of the sensor readings. It is super frustrating, I feel you. I once hit an vein and it bruised badly on my stomach (close to my belly button). I have since been trying the far sides of my abdomen and it bleeds much less.

1 Like

I appreciate the suggestion. If we keep having issues, then I’ll try that. Thanks so much!

I wasn’t sure if this was common or not, so I feel a little better that we’re not the only ones (but I’m sorry that you’ve had similar issues). I definitely agree that farther out we have less issues. The closer to the belly button the more bleeding–I think especially since she has her pump sites there. Thanks for responding!

1 Like

This is my experience as well. As soon as I lightened up on the inserter, bleeding stopped.

1 Like

Thanks for you input! I think that helped this last time.

My personal assistant has another T1D client, also using the 670G system, and we’ve been sharing information among the three of us. The other client apparently had bleeding problems until she started icing the area before sensor insertion. I remembered this thread, and was lucky enough to find it again. If you try this, please let us all know if it helps.

Rudy

That’s an interesting suggestion that I didn’t think of. If we have trouble again, we’ll try that and will let you know the results. Thanks!

Mine bleeds almost every time. I’m having major issues with accuracy and with the sensor failing around 4 or 5 days. I am so frustrated. I used to have a dexcom and had bleeding two times in three years. Help!

1 Like

The past two times we didn’t have the bleeding. The two things that seemed to help so far is staying away from any areas that we use for the pump sites and also not pushing the inserter against her skin. But we haven’t had the sensor failing early issue. I have a friend who has had that issue, and she thinks it’s because she’s not calibrating enough. For us it seems to work best if we calibrate 3 times a day (first thing in the morning, before a meal during the day and before bed). I know it’s a hassle, but I would definitely suggest calling Medtronic when your sensors are failing early to get replacements. I hear what you’re saying about Dexcom–there were a lot of things we liked better about that system.

1 Like

So relieved to hear I’m not the only one dealing with this. Maybe Medtronic will do something to eliminate this problem. I’ve never had an issue with infusion sets bleeding but, apparently, the sensor needle is just that much longer to make so many of us so frustrated. I’ve tried back of arm and thigh and icing. I might give the IV 3000 a try. They’re good about replacing sensors thank goodness. I knew signing on for the 670 system that we would all be guinea pigs for Medtronic. Here’s hoping they take all of our comments and DO SOMETHING!

I have only had my pump and cgm for a month now. I’m completely new to having type 1 as I was misdiagnosed by my primary care with gi issues instead and ended up in ICU in dka. The first few changes went great but the last 2 have bled. Last week I had to replace the sensor after fighting with it all night to resolve. Today it bled again and wont calibrate. I will be trying all the tips and hopefully resolve the issue.

I just inserted a new sensor on my lower right abdomen. I was shocked to hear something fall onto my shoe! A circle of blood as big as a half dollar had dropped and there was more running down my belly. Have any of you had a “gusher” like this? Or are we just talking about a little bit of blood under the sensor adhesive? I’m curious to see how my readings will be. My warm-up has srarted with no problems yet. Thankfully, I spared the carpet at the office as well as my jeans. I guess I hit a capillary, or Niagra Falls. :hushed: