Bleeding while inserting Guardian sensor 670G

I’ve had the 670G system for a little over a year now, bleeding at sensor insertion is a chronic problem for me. Having to call Medtronic about a replacement, and starting over with another insertion, are aggravations I don’t need. We all have enough annoyances without these ones, right? Thanks for everyone’s suggestions!

One thing I’ve tried is to eat more leafy greens containing vitamin K, which helps the body manufacture clotting factors. Don’t really have a way to know if it’s helping, I’ll just watch trends over time. Glad to know it isn’t “just me,” Medtronic really should address this.

1 Like

I’ve had a couple gushers–once in the shower about 2 hours after insertion, I noticed a “river” down the back of my leg. My sensors go on my low back/upper bum, which may explain why I didn’t notice the bleed before.

If there is just a bit of blood under the sensor, I leave it in. About 75% of mine do this, I just don’t have time to rip them all out and start over. As soon as my insurance will cover a new system, I may be switching to Dexcom/T-slim.

I am having the same problems. 3 bleeding sensors and i shut off the sensor. I went back to my dexcom. I am also on xarelto. I don’t know if this is the cause or what. The Medtronic help line was verry nice but no help with the bleeding. I was wondering if you could put something on before i apply the sensor? It Didnt matter where i placed the sensor it bleed and caused multiple errors. What’s the tslim? Sensor

HI folks. I’ve had sensors bleeds when inserting, erratic SGs (during the first 18 - 36 hours), the pump being uncooperative with calibrations and the AM looping issue. I was clued in on a facebook group that is focused on the 670g and have found solutions (that work for me) to the issues I was having. You might want to check out FG “Medtronic 670G Support Group”. There are lots of ideas and suggestions that you can consider.

That is exactly what I tend to see. I noticed a long time ago that my inset also bleeds if I use their inserted. I’ve stopped using that inserted and inserted slowly by hand.
For the sensor, I’ve not tried to insert slowly by hand, but with the failures I often get, I’m tempted to start.
I think I’ll try using ice first, but if that doesn’t solve the issue, I’ll attempt inserting by hand (which I’m sure isn’t recommended, but it works for the inset).

Insurances may consider covering a different device even before the current warranty is ask in place, if the physician is able to document sufficient cause for a change. I certainly don’t know what their criteria is, but if you were bleeding profusely (my interpretation) for a couple of hours and then noticed blood gushing out in the shower, that’s certainly cause for concern. If it for in public and you didn’t know, it could be more than embarrassing - it could be a concern for people around you. No offense intended, of course.
If you are really unhappy with it, it might be worth working with your physician to see if you can be released from your warranty early. You never know until you try.

Hi @kkapsimalis. I use Dexcom’s CGM, not Medtronic’s so excuse me for ducking in here with a suggestion but…
My mother took Warfarin, which of course is a blood thinner - and was told not to take aspirin because it also thins the blood. I’m wondering if aspirin might cause the excessive bleeding? Please forgive me if I’m over-stepping here - I certainly don’t know what the medication restrictions are with Medtronic. Just thought I would suggest it. Hopefully in the responses you’ve already found a solution that works.

I’ve had minor bleeding when using the sensor on my arm. Normally I put it on the back of my arm, and the reading is only delayed from the reading of my finger stick by about 5 minutes. Plenty of time to catch it going low/high and to counter the issue before it gets outside the normal 70-120 range. Also it’s great because I barely feel it when inserting a new one every 10 days.

My stomach has and forever will be my dread zone. Even if it was only a couple bad pump inserts, it’s enough to make me weary every 3 days when changing that one out. Not simply due to higher chance of hitting blood, but it seems to hurt more in that area.

Not sure if that works for everybody the same. But try the sensor on the arm. Little or no pain, and far less instances of hitting blood.