Basal Rate Test

Has anyone ever done this? I'm supposed to do this prior to an appointment I have on Tuesday and I'm nervous about not eating for 24 hours. Im going to be SO HUNGRY! haha

Can anyone tell me their experience with this and whether it has helped you?

I'm also nervous cuz if I go low, that means that I have to eat something - therefore test ruined?

And finally - I'm on winter break. Therefore my basal isn't the same as when I'm at school. I had to increase my basal by 20% over the course of the day just because I'm home from school!! So I'm curious if this is actually going to benefit me in the long run.

thanks ahead of time!

whenever i've tested my basal rate, i was told to only do it 8 hours at a time. no food for 4 hours, then testing once an hour, every hour for 4 hours. you have a week to do it, so you could try it out that way instead of all 24 hours at once. no food for a day might kill me.

[quote user="C"]

whenever i've tested my basal rate, i was told to only do it 8 hours at a time. no food for 4 hours, then testing once an hour, every hour for 4 hours. you have a week to do it, so you could try it out that way instead of all 24 hours at once. no food for a day might kill me.

[/quote]

I may need just try that! Thanks for the idea

I am on MDI and to set my base(have to be different than you pumpers)LOL. I fasted for 12 hrs with just my Lantus and my bs didn't go up or down more than 20 points. And then I ate like a person without the D.

You'll actually have more accurate results if you do it 8 hrs at a time, instead of going 24 without eating. When you go to long without eating, you liver dumps sugar (thanks, liver!) to keep you energized, and it screws with basals. Doesn't happen with everyone or every time, but it is a possibility. 

The worst are overnights. Testing my overnight basals led to lots of sleeping in class this last semester... Also, being on break and having different basals is Super Frustrating (i'm dealing with it now. oh, college.) Good luck!

[quote user="ajax"]

You'll actually have more accurate results if you do it 8 hrs at a time, instead of going 24 without eating. When you go to long without eating, you liver dumps sugar (thanks, liver!) to keep you energized, and it screws with basals. Doesn't happen with everyone or every time, but it is a possibility. 

The worst are overnights. Testing my overnight basals led to lots of sleeping in class this last semester... Also, being on break and having different basals is Super Frustrating (i'm dealing with it now. oh, college.) Good luck!

[/quote]

That sounds a lot better so I think I'll do the 8 hours at a time. The sheet I was given doesn't say it needs to be done all in 24 hours so I'm assuming the 8 hours at a time will be fine and it sounds sooo much better. Thanks!