Artificial sweetener “swerve”

Anyone have any experience with this one…it’s erythritol. Some of the sugar alcohols still have an impact on my BG…curious if anyone’s tried this one?

I try to avoid the -tol sweeteners because of their common laxative effect, but YMMV. In what sorts of products do you find erythritol?

1 Like

Hi Alice,

Likewise, I also find that the sugar alcohols affect my blood sugar, though not as much as ‘normal’ sugars or carbs like white rice. One ‘sugar-free’ candy (with one of the polyols) won’t really have an affect, but any more will.

The Joslin Clinic has a very good article on sugar alcohols and their affect, so it’s worth checking out if you are interested.

I had started using Swerve and loved it, and it seemed to have little or no effect on my blood sugar. However, after a short period of time I realized it was making me REALLY gasses and giving me the runs :frowning: Now I tend to use monkfruit and stevia.

Jess

Jess, check your box of Stevia, as it most likely also includes Erythritol. I use Stevia as my preferred sweetener for coffee and such, ad have not noticed any negative affects to my blood glucose levels from the Erythritol.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I haven’t logged in in awhile! No, neither my stevia nor my monk fruit sweeteners contain erythritol. I always read the ingredients very carefully.

Jess