Question about carb counting and sugar alcohols

When you eat something that has sugar alcohols in it (the item in question is sugar-free pudding) do you subtract the sugar alcohols from the total carb count and bolus for that or do you still bolus for the total carb content?  For some reason, I think I remember being taught to subtract them but I don't really eat sugar-free stuff much so I'm not sure.  Thanks!

The way I do sugar alcohols is to count half as carbs. Ex: 20 grams sugar alcohols = 10 grams carb. count. One word of warning if you don't know already. Sugar alcohols are also baby laxatives, don't eat to many at once. LOL they work!!! 

We were told to treat it the same. We were also told to avoid things with sugar alcohols and go for the real thing because carbs are carbs if you have to get insulin for it you might as well enjoy it.

Exactly what I was told.  Just make sure your following your carb ratio.

Thanks for the replies!  I couldn't remember because I almost never eat them (pretty much because of what Jessica said, I just eat regular sugar and bolus accordingly).  But I REALLY wanted some vanilla pudding and they only had the sugar-free version at the grocery store today! If I wanted regular it was choc or van/choc swirl only. 

Keith - Thanks for the tip - lol! That is some very important info to keep in mind!!

[quote user="Candace"]

Thanks for the replies!  I couldn't remember because I almost never eat them (pretty much because of what Jessica said, I just eat regular sugar and bolus accordingly).  But I REALLY wanted some vanilla pudding and they only had the sugar-free version at the grocery store today! If I wanted regular it was choc or van/choc swirl only. 

Keith - Thanks for the tip - lol! That is some very important info to keep in mind!!

[/quote]

I learned the hard way!!! LOL