Appt Anxiety

The endo I've been seeing for the last 10 years is starting to get terrible about returning my calls, so I'm trying a new endo tomorrow recommended by a T1 friend. But, I'm starting to worry that she'll be critical of my numbers, not understanding of ups and downs, just generally worried I'll be judged. I've just gotten so used to my current guy's style. Obviously I can go back to him if I don't like her. But, how to you all deal with anxiety of going to the endo?? Thanks!

(And of course, it's supposed to snow here tomorrow, so I may have the extra excitement of bringing my toddler if his daycare is closed. Arg!)

Sarah,We are about to make a endo change too !  We are a little nervous for some of the same reasons you mentioned.We want  one that is smart but kind and positive !! I want to hear how it goes for you tomorrow.I hope your endo is one that is a keeper :)

well you can never really know about a doctor before meeting them. My 1st endo moved and it was WAY to far to drive, so then i went to a new one and my numbers were really bad (A1c at the time was like 11.2) and he wanted to take my pump AWAY. My mom wasn't happy with that and we switched again. This new endo is SO nice i went there and she said there is no such thing as a "good number" in general there are only good number that are good to you. So if your usually in the 300-350 range then 200 is good for you. I depends on YOU. I wouldn't worry 2 out of 3 of mine were SO nice :] good luck!

I have been blessed by doctor's over the years as my Endo's have changed, retired, transferred. The anxiety I would always feel would reflect though in my heart rate being out of control. My pulse would be elevated so much. However, I have always been blessed by doctor's who were kind and understanding. Especially in the first visit, I owuld expect that the Endo would want to make a good impression and getting to know you before things changed and he/she started to make decisions and judge stuff. You can't label us by the first visit.

You just need to get rid of the doubt as you and your endo begin to feel each other out.

Sarah,What did you like about your old endo  ? I hope your new one is a good,understanding one :)

[quote user="meme"]

Sarah,What did you like about your old endo  ? I hope your new one is a good,understanding one :)

[/quote]

What I liked about my old endo is that he was so relaxed. As a pregnant T1, I felt extreme guilt and anxiety any time my sugars weren't perfect, and of course, w/o a working pancreas plus preg hormones, they won't be near perfect. But, he'd assure me that it would be fine and just seemed so relaxed about it.

Apparently I also react well to flattery. I'd hear him n the hall prepping his med students before my visits saying, "She's great! You'll be impressed." I guess I liked that he trusted me.

So, update on my appt this morning...

I definitely liked this new one. I'm going to try staying with her. The office was a nice, quiet one at a medium sized hospital rather than fighting for parking at a big hospital and waiting in a packed waiting room. I know that sounds silly, but it was more relaxed. Then, they draw blood in the office. With my old one, I'd wait an hour at the hospital with all these coughing patients to get my a1c done.

She didn't have any suggestions for dose changes, so I felt like she trusted me to make them. She also spent a ton of time with me (1/2 an hour) which was amazing. Obviously, it's more for a new patient, but she didn't seem rushed.

My only worry was that she seems "tougher" than my old one. For example, she said if I was to go less often than every 3 months, I'd have to "prove" my control to her. It felt condescending, but everything else was good so it wasn't enough to make me annoyed.

My old endo said he'd be fine w/ me waiting until I'm 35 or 36 to try to have a 2nd kid. She didn't agree, saying she didn't want me to wait past 34 or at most, 35. Don't think we could afford another one soon, but it doesn't sound like there's any true scientific reason, just better odds if you do it earlier w/ T1. But, I guess that's a discussion for another post.

Glad it went well and I hope it continues to go well.  My heart rate goes up whenever we go in for an appointment.  I just don't want to fail and feel if her A1C is not lower than last time then I am, very stressful. 

Is the age thing to do with the increased risks the older you get, like I think the downs risk goes up at 35 or is it because of the diabetes?

[quote user="Meg"]

Glad it went well and I hope it continues to go well.  My heart rate goes up whenever we go in for an appointment.  I just don't want to fail and feel if her A1C is not lower than last time then I am, very stressful. 

Is the age thing to do with the increased risks the older you get, like I think the downs risk goes up at 35 or is it because of the diabetes?

[/quote]

She said it's because of the combined risk. I already have risks b/c of the D, so the additional risks of being older add up to more risk. Of course, I know of many T1 Moms on other sites who had kids at 38 or 40 w/o problems, but I think the endo's thinking was, why take the risk?

I think they should install a margarita station in endo check-out areas so stressed parents and patients can go and relax after putting up with another visit. (: But, I guess that wouldn't be sending a good message, huh?